It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Is Why You Don't Succeed - Simon Sinek on The Millennial Generation

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined

I remember that the self-esteem movement was supposed to help kids do better in school. If they were made to feel better about themselves, then they would do better or something, but it goes the other way around honestly.

I had crap self-esteem because I got picked on. What made me feel better was to accomplish things, not to have them handed to me. In the end, I felt good about myself because I knew what I was able to do, and it was beat the socks off my tormentors in several different ways.

But achieving something for yourself is what makes you feel good. My son conquered the rock wall at school the other day. It means more to him than just being told he's strong. Those are the types of things that stay with you. Actually winning the trophy because you worked hard to be the best means more than being handed one just because you showed up, and learning to deal with the disappointment of not getting the trophy even though you worked hard is an equally important lesson you never learn if you get one for simply being there.

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: wantsome

I watched my grandmother on one side of the family pay off a beautiful home in the mountains with a factory union job doing something that would now pay $12 an hour

she had a pension full benefits everything, single mom, worked and purchased a house took care of kids and retired
In the 1950's and 60's everybody was making it in this country. My grandmother retired in 1981 and my grandfather in 1986. My grandparents retired with full pensions too. My grandmother owned 3 homes. She had enough money when she retired to build her dream home in Florida. My grandfather retired and moved to Vegas. He spent 20 years at the crap tables. This country is going to be in serious trouble when millennials go to retire. 401K's are not enough to live on. A lot of people can't even afford to invest in them. I know millenials working twice as hard as my grandparents did for less then half the money.

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I guess it all depends on what someone considers to be "success." For baby boomers, success appears to be associated with accumulating a lot of stuff, including tons of stuff that is essentially useless. I like the millennial attitude that experiences are more important than things, and you'll make yourself miserable if you keep comparing your life to others according to how much stuff you have. "Oh, they're complete, thick idiots who have three houses and four cars so what does that make me other than a failure?"

We all live individual lives, with none of us the same or coming from the same place, even siblings. When I remind myself of this, and think about where I came from and my own personal limitations, even though I'm not rich I have to say that I've done well. I could beat myself up, but I think instead I'll give myself a pat on the back. Because this life is insane.

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

And we all know that Boomers and Gen X had nothing to do with allowing the family unit to be supplanted, right? They were just bystanders! 🤣

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome

I watched my grandmother on one side of the family pay off a beautiful home in the mountains with a factory union job doing something that would now pay $12 an hour

she had a pension full benefits everything, single mom, worked and purchased a house took care of kids and retired
In the 1950's and 60's everybody was making it in this country. My grandmother retired in 1981 and my grandfather in 1986. My grandparents retired with full pensions too. My grandmother owned 3 homes. She had enough money when she retired to build her dream home in Florida. My grandfather retired and moved to Vegas. He spent 20 years at the crap tables. This country is going to be in serious trouble when millennials go to retire. 401K's are not enough to live on. A lot of people can't even afford to invest in them. I know millenials working twice as hard as my grandparents did for less then half the money.

Want a good job getting into anything in healthcare. My father had to have TPN while going through cancer treatments. They have a guy come to your house to show you how to do it and have the bags and supplies delivered once a week. Both my people were fairly new at it said the company couldn't get enough trainees, but even the delivery guys were racking it iy in. It wasn't hard to learn we did the whole nine yards cleaning his port, feeding, and changing IV but most people had to have someone come in daily and do it, they do that too. These guys were busy but driving BMW's and Acura's in their mid 20's. This is a huge company offices everywhere and they aren't alone. Hell I'm in my 50's and they said come on in training takes 4 weeks and then you basically get a full schedule, pay raises, health benefits. Not going to lie service people work hard but the money is good if not great, and you are helping people that really need it and appreciate it. Daughter is training to be a dental assistant already has half a dozen offers and she lives in podunk Ohio.

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
Daughter is training to be a dental assistant already has half a dozen offers and she lives in podunk Ohio.

To show you how intelligent my millennial niece is, when it was time to go to college, she asked my brother (her dad) what was the easiest job she could do that would make her a lot of money. She is cute, also. My brother wisely told her "pharmacy rep." Travel around to doctor's offices demonstrating and giving away samples of new medicines, and taking orders. Smart. So smart.

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Want a good job getting into anything in healthcare. My father had to have TPN while going through cancer treatments. They have a guy come to your house to show you how to do it and have the bags and supplies delivered once a week. Both my people were fairly new at it said the company couldn't get enough trainees, but even the delivery guys were racking it iy in. It wasn't hard to learn we did the whole nine yards cleaning his port, feeding, and changing IV but most people had to have someone come in daily and do it, they do that too. These guys were busy but driving BMW's and Acura's in their mid 20's. This is a huge company offices everywhere and they aren't alone. Hell I'm in my 50's and they said come on in training takes 4 weeks and then you basically get a full schedule, pay raises, health benefits. Not going to lie service people work hard but the money is good if not great, and you are helping people that really need it and appreciate it. Daughter is training to be a dental assistant already has half a dozen offers and she lives in podunk Ohio.
Yeah I agree the healthcare industry is a good profession. 1/6 of our economy is healthcare related. My mom and cousin are both RN's. The problem they're running into is they are making nurses go back to school now. Before all you needed was a 2 year degree now they require 4 years. My mom smokes and they told her if patents smell it and complain she's fired. Well she ended up getting lung cancer a year ago. She had one of the worst forms small cell. Chemo and radiation worked for now she's cancer free. A bit off topic sorry. She got sick at the same time my step dad lost his job of 25 years. They ate through their entire life savings in a year. The bank repossessed the house and they ended up having to move in with my aunt. My mom was making $35 an hour and my step dad was making $27 an hour. Smoking might have been my moms undoing but cancer can happen to anyone at any time. You get into your 40's and bad things can happen. People can jog and eat all the vitamins they want sometimes it don't matter. I've seen it happen to other people.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Everyone wants someone to blame, thats part of the problem. It isn't one generation's fault.. are there things that one gen did that in-adversely effected those that came later, of course.. but to point fingers and say 'you ruined my future!' is retarded (yep I'm not PC).

Some of you keep saying, oh my grandparents had good $40/hour union factory jobs and owned X number of houses and full retirement... yeah so what? Unions for non location dependent jobs are largely obsolete, why pay you $40 for low skilled labor when it can be shipped over seas for $3-$5/hour? Simple advancements such as the invention of the stackable shipping container that revolutionized the shipping industry made that possible.

There are plenty of opportunities to be had that you can support a family on a single paycheck with, you just can't expect to get that the moment you graduate from HS or Uni... thats a pipe dream for most people. Stop whining and pointing fingers.. the only man holding you down is you.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 08:54 PM
link   
On the one hand I see what this guy is saying, we were dealt a bad hand by boomer parents lol. What kills me is the notion of why we don't succeed. I keep getting told by boomers if only I worked harder...bitch I worked 3 jobs at one point, worked 60 to 80hrs per week, and guess what? My wife and I could barely afford to afford our one bedroom apartment or to pay our bills. College is so expensive one could not pay their way through, so we did student loans, which now only bites us in the ass.
We had to move in with my wife's parents to be able to pay off our debts and start saving for a house...the average home costs are just under half a million dollars. A ridiculous amount I don't understand how ANY millennial could afford that.

My boomer father in law was a teacher. He paid his way through college, and got a lifetime teaching credential. Now one needs a masters, costing 10s of thousands of dollars more, and you pay hundreds of dollars to get a credential that is only good for a couple years. You have to take continuing education credits to keep it up, and pay hundreds of dollars to renew.

Most boomers at my job long ago got to retire at 55 with full pensions. Then it was retire at 57, then 62, then the pension went to % per year worked, now it is 2% at 65 or 2.5% at 67. Longevity was paid after 10 years, then 15, now new hires get no lengevity added to their pension. It will take me 5 years at a raise every 6mo to get to my full pay. New employees will only get 1 raise per year and take 10 years to get to their full pay. While we are lucky to be in a job with a pension to begin with, the younger people are getting less, and less, and less. Yet housing costs and costs of living are going up.

It used to be that one could rent a small apartment on a lowskill job. Apartments were meant for single people, young people, those fresh out of divorce or jail. Apartments were just a stepping stone towards the american dream. Now they build thousands of apartments that cost almost $2000/mo for a one bedroom. People are stuck.

My 23 year old neighbor, when my wife and I lived in our last apartment, took his own life. I just couldn't help but wonder if he felt the same helplessness and lack of hope that we all feel.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Yeah I agree the healthcare industry is a good profession. 1/6 of our economy is healthcare related. My mom and cousin are both RN's. The problem they're running into is they are making nurses go back to school now. Before all you needed was a 2 year degree now they require 4 years. My mom smokes and they told her if patents smell it and complain she's fired. Well she ended up getting lung cancer a year ago. She had one of the worst forms small cell. Chemo and radiation worked for now she's cancer free. A bit off topic sorry. She got sick at the same time my step dad lost his job of 25 years. They ate through their entire life savings in a year. The bank repossessed the house and they ended up having to move in with my aunt. My mom was making $35 an hour and my step dad was making $27 an hour. Smoking might have been my moms undoing but cancer can happen to anyone at any time. You get into your 40's and bad things can happen. People can jog and eat all the vitamins they want sometimes it don't matter. I've seen it happen to other people.

Sorry to hear that ... we had some major adjustments when Dad died, we were in a much more precarious financial position than we knew Dad hid some stuff from us, but we have made adjustments, we have moved in with my sister so we both can take care of Mom and still work and yes the bills were enormous and she will have to have her hip replaced too.

But back on topic I think we are in an economic shift, obviously, not my first one but I did feel better when I was younger guess maybe it was hope or knowing I was smart enough and had enough skills to work blur collar or white-collar jobs now I'm almost pigeoned holed and have to reinvent the way our business works on some levels. This is with a good economy LOL if and when that goes south I will calling those healthcare techs about getting some training LOL.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 05:51 AM
link   
"Maybe your generation is what led to this so-called "entitled" generation? "

So you are an entitled generation. Thanks for proving that point.

The vast majority of millionaires started with nothing.
They didn't let their previous generation dictate their future any more then millenials should.

You do not understand this concept because you choose not to recognize the importance of self-reliance.

You don't have to try as hard for things because each former generation busted their asses to create an environment that makes it easier for the latter to obtain bigger and better things.
It has gotten to the point that even poor people have smart phones.
So many millenials are no different from the spoiled rich brats of yesteryear.

But not all children of rich people are spoiled brats just as not all millenials should be "entitled".

Regardless luckily there will still always be responsible young people who will do the right thing and work hard and generate capital so that the lazy scum can sit around and do nothing.

There are far more responsible millenials out there then people think. They get it, even if you dont.

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Wow, a few minutes in and this dude is generalizing like crazy, using all the same old talking points we've been hearing for years now: participation trophies, feeling special, wanting free stuff, etc.

You think this is a new argument or has any merit other than vague generalizations and stereotypes? Okay boomer. I'm a millennial and so are all of my friends. Never once have I ever heard any of them cry about not getting a participation trophy or getting free food or whatever the hell else this guy thinks are valid arguments, just to put an entire generation into a prepackaged box.

The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree boomer. Maybe your generation is what led to this so-called "entitled" generation? Because like the guy says, people are a product of their environment. Who are the ones who created or at least helped to build the environment we have today? Hmmm.... maybe some self-reflection is in order. Which generation grew up in an environment that allowed an entire family to be provided for with only one paycheck? "Entitled"? Sounds like projection to me.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: Bloodworth

Ask a geezer what time it is and they'll say it's '12, 12, 12 o'clock' since they can't figure out how to program anything.

Yea... no.. I know more ‘geezers’ that can use tech productively than millennials.
Because the geezers care about getting work done and the millennials care about twitter or something

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: AnonymousMoose

Where are you living?!

Our house cost under $130K.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 07:45 AM
link   
The video is not about blame. It's about understanding. Simon has a great ability to do that. Yes, he generalizes, but he's speaking to an entire generation and people are very predictable. His book "Leaders Eat Last" is a good read.

I see a lot of blame in this thread and in society as a whole. There are deep wounds. 90% of people in ANY GENERATION retire at or below the poverty level. For Millennials, this generation has it the worst.

Here is a truth. There are VERY FEW "good jobs". If you want to protect yourself and not work 2 or 3 to live, become an entrepreneur. Get a Side Hustle not a part time job. Start something you can grow into full time. And know you will sacrifice and work harder than you ever wanted to. The rewards are there, but YOU must claim them! NO ONE owes anyone, regardless of generation a job or a living.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: GreenGunther
Yea... no.. I know more ‘geezers’ that can use tech productively than millennials.
Because the geezers care about getting work done and the millennials care about twitter or something.

A VCR is not 'tech', and if you're company is not using social media, like Twitter, for work they're a dinosaur too.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: AnonymousMoose

Where are you living?! Our house cost under $130K.

Around Los Angeles, even burned out crack houses sell for over $500K.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Ask a geezer what time it is and they'll say it's '12, 12, 12 o'clock' since they can't figure out how to program anything.

Because the geezers care about getting work done and the millennials care about twitter or something

this isn't a very intelligent post

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 03:35 PM
link   
All of this divide comes from the magical thinking of “you are in control of your own destiny”. Like they succeeded, and can pat themselves on the back, and blame the victims for living in a predatory society where opportunity is vastly declining, along with the middle class jobs and the middle class itself. Fully 50% of Americans live in what I would consider “poverty” making $18 an hour or less. I would define $25 an hour ($50k annually) to be the bottommost baseline for “middle class. That’s the zone where you can actually start to afford to pay bills, drive a car, have a modest (very) home or nice apartment. Our actual middle class is maybe 15% of the population, that makes $120-150k per household.

Let’s be clear here. There are numerous things that effect us that are out of our control. If you’re an afghani man at a wedding, and a us bomb wipes out you and your bride and your families..... there’s not much you could do about that. If you were a worker in Honduras, and the us overthrew your govt and installed a dictator because they didn’t want to raise minimum wage for Chiquita or dole, not much you could have done about that. If you were a vegetable seller in Libya, and the us invaded, murdered your president and overthrew your govt to destroy the move towards an Africa independent from western predatory banking, not much you could have done to affect that.

To act like there aren’t massive manipulations and effects going on now and over the last 50 years, specifically to reduce the profits given to workers and to increase the profits given to execs, shareholders etc, is ludicrous. It means you have no understanding of the constant fight between workers and the wealthy elite. And you have no grasp of patterns and what they indicate for the future. To not recognize that success is available for fewer and fewer people every year, and what that means in the long run, is to have your head in the ground, and no understanding for a) the effects it will have on your fellow citizens, or b) the effects of the massive increase of poverty and financial instability on our economy. Namely collapse of markets, increases in crime, depression, suicide, addiction, mass shootings, etc. Look around you. Does this LOOK how an economically healthy society behaves? Do people in a healthy society with plenty opportunity have so much social division? Debt? Declining life expectancy?
edit on 20-11-2019 by pexx421 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   

this isn't a very intelligent post

Ditto.
I work in client side support.

Perhaps I have a lot of experience with people and how they use tech?
Perhaps it’s not an opinion, but an opinionated observation.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join