It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Is Why You Don't Succeed - Simon Sinek on The Millennial Generation

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

Oh really? Let's see the data that made you come to that conclusion. You wouldn't POSSIBLY be making things up because it makes you feel good politically. No way, no how! 🤡

By the way, when I saw your name as the most recent post in this thread I KNEW you'd be replying to me. 🤣
edit on 11/16/2019 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Oh really? Let's see the data that made you come to that conclusion. You wouldn't POSSIBLY be making things up because it makes you feel good politically. No way, no how! 🤡

By the way, when I saw your name as the most recent post in this thread I KNEW you'd be replying to me. 🤣

The majority of teachers, professors, etc are not Lefties?

And your powers of deduction continue to amaze.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 04:09 PM
link   

What's your point? We're more advanced today than ever before in history. Damn those teachers and professors for teaching people to do things!

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 04:12 PM
link   
The problem with Simon Sinek has been evidenced by this thread. He encourages divisions between generations, but what makes it worse for me is he does it in the guise of authority and charm so people get taken in by him. He isn't helpful to anyone but himself. He's a pathetic shyster.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 04:19 PM
link   

What's your point? We're more advanced today than ever before in history. Damn those teachers and professors for teaching people to do things!

That has nothing to do with my point or the OP.

The majority of teachers and professors lean left, and routinely add into some of the curriculum their own biases.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 04:27 PM
link   

a reply to: roadgravel

Gen X raised millennials, I wonder where they got their parenting skills? Hmmm....

I'm a boomer, with a millennial daughter. I am of the opinion that I would not have been a good father, until well into my thirties, because I wasn't finished growing up, myself. (Insert bragging about her accomplishments thus far) But, I do think there is something to that. Gotta figure out your own life and values, before raising a kid, IMO. Otherwise your own immaturity will bleed over.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: recrisp

I'm an early Gen Xer (born in 1967). My parents are Boomers, my kids are Millenials and my grandkids are Gen Z and whatever they will call the next gen (one born this year).

Back in the mid 70s to early 80s it became easier in most states to get a divorce without very specific reasons (no fault divorce). With that started the rise in need for double housing and also double jobs as families divided. This made both harder to come by- and thus the rule of supply and demand was invoked. Housing costs started to rise and more stringent qualifications for jobs made the market super competitive, so now not only did people need to make more money to afford housing but most jobs that were "on the job training" positions before now required a college degree- add to those things the need for quality child care. Now factor in the age of easy credit- easy to get student loans,mortgages, car loans and credit cards and you have people starting to live far beyond their means. Once again the price of housing rises but this time everything else starts to rise as well because "we have to keep up with the Jones" and corporations know they can get away with it- and everybody follows. It is still rising.

We have ALL caused the financial state of the country. We caused it by paying $400K for a $120K house with 25% interest KNOWING we can't afford it but rationalizing it anyway when we could have bought a $80K house and added on,by paying $60K for a $20K car when we could have bought second hand for $10-15K, by paying for that $200 cable and internet package instead of just watching free television channels, by just having to have that $1000 phone instead of a $100 phone, by stopping for that $8 coffee every day instead of buying that big can of Maxwell House that will fill your cup several times a day for a month or better. Supply and demand is what causes the prices to go up, Up, UP! When overpriced items don't sell they have no choice but to lower the prices or go belly up. It is our own greed and desire to "live our best life" that has made it to where we don't know the difference between what we want and what we need any more.

So now the upcoming generations can barely afford to pay rent and feed themselves and we wonder why so many are still living with their families at a greater age. The only way my grandkids will ever own a home is if I win the lottery and buy them each one at the rate we are going. That is why our young people feel doomed!

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

Gen X raised millennials, I wonder where they got their parenting skills? Hmmm....

Gen X decided they had a better parenting set and would do it different.

In many cases, they were probably right. Somewhere between beating your kids weekly, to toughen them up...and never spanking because that's child abuse...is probably an individual case, best practice, median. Personally I mostly trolled my kid to being a smart high achiever. But, it certainly helped that her mom is a genius.

ETA: We have a lot of fun, withe boomer v millennial thing. Sarcasm and mind games (or maybe moral and cognitive puzzles) are a family thing.

My best troll on her was three years, when she was less than 10. But it was the basis for modifying her behavior in her early teens... essentially giving her the very real fear, that I might socially embarass her, to modify her behavior....without ever having actually done it.

I look forward to the conversation, whenever I become a grandpa.
edit on 16-11-2019 by Enderdog because: I'm a boomer. And I'm looking into the cloud of possible futures..

edit on 16-11-2019 by Enderdog because: Because I forgot to fix my typo, while I was boomer using.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 04:45 PM
link   

In general, aren't Millennials the children of Generation X, not boomers.

The conspiracy - Boomers created the internet to ruin the lives and future of Millennials.

Most are but a few are born under boomers and millennials are not set to 1984 at the start some people say 82 some say 86.

Knocking Millennials all down has been a favorite past time of boomers who somehow believe they achieved everything on their own. It’s a very deluded concept. The world that the boomer grew up in was exceptional easy and by their mishandling they screwed every generation at the start of millennials and late gen x with their idealistic stupidity and greed.

Rent was cheap, food was cheap, schooling was cheap. In 20 years of their “leadership” they managed to ruin schooling, housing and crashed the economy and ruined the medical industry . They didn’t train anybody to do jobs and expected people to all have experience. They created a loop of I can’t get a job because I don’t have experience and I can’t get experience because I don’t have a job for a whole generation. They mocked their children who couldn’t find jobs during a time when nobody was hiring and that was because they became afraid of getting replaced so what did they do? They brought in HB-1 visa holders or illegals to make a profit because they didn’t want to pay a decent salary during the recession.

The kids now have no idea how many jobs during the recession had been scam jobs based completely on commission that didn’t actually pay you even if you made sales.

Boomer media propped up their egos during the recession and pushed the “problem they created” on their children. It’s not our fault it’s just that kids don’t want to work! It wasn’t that we tried to give people homes who couldn’t afford them, demanded salaries in teaching positions that raised the cost of education, created massive scam companies like Enron, had been extremely unethical in banking and finance all while owning property and inflating the cost of living because “my retirement”! They don’t care that a one bedroom apartment housed 8 tenants only that they could afford 1500 a month rent which raised the rent everywhere because now that’s the norm for the area.

When history writes about the boomer generation it won’t be nice at all

However early gen x people don’t get enough crap these people have to be some of the worst most unethical people I have ever had the displeasure of working for. They just didn’t screw everyone over like boomers but their business can only be run using cheap labor and they think everyone is replaceable- I think it was a by product of the recession that created that mentality. I worked for one and after I left I made double what they paid me for the same job and early gen x don’t give raises. But they will train people for positions they just expect you to stay at the wage they hired you at even if you came to their company with experience.

They will also push more responsibility on you without a raise and expect you to fill in 2 or three positions within their company. I remember I was a tech, I stocked their shelf’s with products and did the paperwork for the jobs all the boss did was order parts and billing and he had his wife do billing and another person order the parts which he made us pick up sometimes from wholesalers.They guy stole his business from someone he used to work for so he didn’t need to sell jobs he already had a client list. He penny pinched everything “he instituted drive time” basically minimum wage to drive to a job and back from a job in down town LA traffic.

Day of the pillow is coming soon “jokes”

edit on 16-11-2019 by Veryolduser because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 04:46 PM
link   
this is guy is as dumb as everyone who believes what he says, oh, don't worry about me. I'm a full time NOC engineer while attending college and an active investor AND A MILLENNIAL, I also workout consistently and I don't eat avocado toast

hmmmm
edit on 16-11-2019 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

yeah and rather than let asset values come down the Fed wants to make sure we have 2% inflation every year, it's f***** joke
edit on 16-11-2019 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deetermined
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Maybe there was a problem with THEIR parenting that made them feel the need to change?

Personally, I think that "parenting" can sometimes be subjective based on perception. Not all children of the same parents are going to turn out the same. My twin sister and I have argued many times over our views on the way we were raised and we don't view it the same way. Different personalities and behaviors play their own individual roles sometimes.

TBF...boomers (of which I are one) were maybe the first generation to separate from the multigenerational family setting.

We visited my grandparents every couple of years or so. Most of my cousins and such, were in close proximity. I'm grateful.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Neither does your post, or are all millennials liberal in your opinion?

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk
a reply to: recrisp

I'm an early Gen Xer (born in 1967). My parents are Boomers, my kids are Millenials and my grandkids are Gen Z and whatever they will call the next gen (one born this year).

Back in the mid 70s to early 80s it became easier in most states to get a divorce without very specific reasons (no fault divorce). With that started the rise in need for double housing and also double jobs as families divided. This made both harder to come by- and thus the rule of supply and demand was invoked. Housing costs started to rise and more stringent qualifications for jobs made the market super competitive, so now not only did people need to make more money to afford housing but most jobs that were "on the job training" positions before now required a college degree- add to those things the need for quality child care. Now factor in the age of easy credit- easy to get student loans,mortgages, car loans and credit cards and you have people starting to live far beyond their means. Once again the price of housing rises but this time everything else starts to rise as well because "we have to keep up with the Jones" and corporations know they can get away with it- and everybody follows. It is still rising.

We have ALL caused the financial state of the country. We caused it by paying $400K for a $120K house with 25% interest KNOWING we can't afford it but rationalizing it anyway when we could have bought a $80K house and added on,by paying $60K for a $20K car when we could have bought second hand for $10-15K, by paying for that $200 cable and internet package instead of just watching free television channels, by just having to have that $1000 phone instead of a $100 phone, by stopping for that $8 coffee every day instead of buying that big can of Maxwell House that will fill your cup several times a day for a month or better. Supply and demand is what causes the prices to go up, Up, UP! When overpriced items don't sell they have no choice but to lower the prices or go belly up. It is our own greed and desire to "live our best life" that has made it to where we don't know the difference between what we want and what we need any more.

So now the upcoming generations can barely afford to pay rent and feed themselves and we wonder why so many are still living with their families at a greater age. The only way my grandkids will ever own a home is if I win the lottery and buy them each one at the rate we are going. That is why our young people feel doomed!

Very cogent analysis on the effects of breaking the social structure of families. No fault divorce changed the dynamic considerably, and diluted employment by about a third...not to mention the emotional toll.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Was watching some interesting videos from a couple Youtubers I like. Talking about the problems of society they were raised in, South Africa, and lived in for many years, China. Their insights into how those societies are and why I found to be profound.

I've watched these guys for years as they traveled on motorcycles and did videos about Chinese society. Serpentza is from South Africa. His videos in his tours in China are worth the watch. And you see how he has changed his opinion about China over the years, especially more recently..

The society we live in today is certainly much different than 20 years ago.

I would leave with the wise words of Jesus from the gospels concerning the last days: "and because of the increasing of lawlessness, the love of the greater number will grow cold."-Matthew 24:12.

I think Jesus' one statement here sums things up. The increasing of lawlessness. A lawless person is “not restrained or controlled by law.” (Webster’s) Lawlessness includes all that is bad, wicked, immoral, corrupt, and dishonest. But what happens when you are taught that nothing is bad, there is nothing that is wicked, that immorality is subjective? That dishonesty is okay? Then lawlessness becomes the norm. And that is what we have in the entire world.

Since World War I changes in attitude and conduct in the western and eastern world can be linked to that date. I really recommend watching the videos I posted, worth the watch to see how Chinese culture has really changed. How that in South Africa has.

We can see it happening all around the world. There is a prophecy that says that things will only go from bad to worse.

I guess I will add one more thing, Holy Scripture states that the general mental disposition of humankind in the last days would be full of people who are filled with hatred, lack of natural affection, people willed with pride, hatred of good, lovers of pleasure, haters of God, backbiters, here I'll just get the quote:

But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here.  For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, having an appearance of godliness but proving false to its power; and from these turn away."
-2 Timothy 3:1-5.

The things that they report above too, how desynatized people are to badness, how they laugh at it. I see it on a daily basis.

I can give you the diagnosis. It is the symptoms of a world that has turned away from God and his moral principles. This new generation has been totally brain-washed into believing that God doesn't exist. And he has no moral boundaries he has set for mankind. They have been taught to believe that they are gods, and will become their own saviors.
edit on 16-11-2019 by HiddenRay because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   

In general, aren't Millennials the children of Generation X, not boomers.

The conspiracy - Boomers created the internet to ruin the lives and future of Millennials.

I was under the impression it was the other way around, that Milennials were the children of Boomers and only some of the older Gen-Xers ? Quoting this from Wiki "Millennials are sometimes referred to as "echo boomers" due to a major surge in birth rates in the 1980s and 1990s, and because millennials are often the children of the baby boomers" ----->>>Link

The math doesn't really work out either, Gen-Xers from what I've read are typically seen being born from 1965-1980 --->Link, and Millenials from 1981-1996. I realize the dates might vary, but using the wiki source the consensus seems to be 1965-1980.

Anyways, ifwe skip ahead to 1989, 8 years or 53% into the time frame of Millenials being born the oldest Gen-Xer is still only 24 and the youngest at 9. Sure that 24 year old Gen-Xer might be just settling down and having their first kid but there are still a whole range of 25-39 year old boomers popping out kids as well at the same time.

Even if we use 1961-1980 as a Gen-X range as some sources do, at the 1989 or 53% point of the Millenial time frame we'd still only have a small range of 24-28 Gen-Xers settling down and having kids compared to the other range of 29-39 year old boomers.

Am I wrong on this, or are the time frames for Gen-Xers and Millenials seen as something completely different ?

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Enderdog

I'm a boomer, with a millennial daughter. I am of the opinion that I would not have been a good father, until well into my thirties, because I wasn't finished growing up, myself. (Insert bragging about her accomplishments thus far) But, I do think there is something to that. Gotta figure out your own life and values, before raising a kid, IMO. Otherwise your own immaturity will bleed over.

Probably generally true, however, how did the previous generations pump out babies at 14,16,17, etc and still have perfectly normal well-adjusted kids my Mom and Dad began having kids at 18 4 total in 8 years said we all grew up together. I will say though we were about the last generation where we weren't bombarded by outside influences. My ex and I had our kids fairly young I was 23 and she was 22. Despite our problems, we both were devoted to making sure our kids were okay and they are now wonderful smart, hard-working adults. That's with a divorce when they were 6-8 blended families the whole nine yards

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Falenor

Your mathematical assumptions are a wee bit off. I am Gen X (as are most of my friends) and by age 24 I already had 2 kids, most of the people I grew up with had at least 2-3 kids by that age. At least half of them had their first child at around 18-19 years old.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Your mathematical assumptions are a wee bit off. I am Gen X (as are most of my friends) and by age 24 I already had 2 kids, most of the people I grew up with had at least 2-3 kids by that age. At least half of them had their first child at around 18-19 years old.

I understand that is your own personal experience with you and your friends but going off CDC data for the U.S the average or mean age for a mother to have their first born in 1989 was 24.2, and mind you that's only counting the mother and not the father who would probably be a couple years older. CDC Link info found on page 6. Congratulations though, most of my Gen-X friends didn't have kids until their 30's

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Falenor

I understand that is your own personal experience with you and your friends but going off CDC data for the U.S the average or mean age for a mother to have their first born in 1989 was 24.2, and mind you that's only counting the mother and not the father who would probably be a couple years older. CDC Link info found on page 6. Congratulations though, most of my Gen-X friends didn't have kids until their 30's

I know the CDC statistics work on averages, but I think a lot of it depends on what part of the country you're in. I had my firstborn in 1988 and was much later to the party than most waiting until almost 22, and her father was a year younger. My oldest went to school with my peers middle and youngest children. The very early Gen Xers still popped kids out pretty early with those born later tending to wait longer as most do now (my youngest who is 29 just had her first child this year). You are correct however about Boomers having children later though. My husband is a Boomer and my oldest is 10 years older than his oldest.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join