It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Screw Income Equality

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

That's the system we need to figure out. As for how to determine the limit, figure out the minimum a person needs to live, start from there and make the limit a multiple of that. Funnel anything that goes beyond that back to the bottom across the board raising the minimum and thus the limit at the same time. Tie the success of the top to the success of the bottom. Society raises and falls together from top to bottom.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   
It's not about you, it's about what's healthy for society as a whole. If it were about you and you alone there would be no limit, it's just dog eat dog. I don't agree with a dog eat dog world.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   
It doesn't matter, the sociopaths won already. I'm tired arguing about this... I have real life things to worry about, actually starting to stress myself out over this topic... I need a break. Sorry I got involved again. Out of stamina emotionally.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

We have that system now.
Subsidized housing.
Food stamps.
Earned income tax credit.
Medicaid.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

That's the system we need to figure out. As for how to determine the limit, figure out the minimum a person needs to live, start from there and make the limit a multiple of that. Funnel anything that goes beyond that back to the bottom across the board raising the minimum and thus the limit at the same time. Tie the success of the top to the success of the bottom. Society raises and falls together from top to bottom.

I'm sorry but that is very naive

That's the perfect recipe for failure.
Anytime you limit success, you limit innovation, you limit growth.

What will happen is that rich people will take their money & businesses to a different country and innovate there.
Why do you think a lot of businesses left the US in the last 20 years.

Two reasons - cheaper labor, cheaper taxes.

You put a cap on earning they will also leave. Then what will be left. At that point does the bar get lower, not it's not billionaires, but millionaires. Then when they leave, is it the middle class?
edit on 21-10-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 11:31 AM
link   

So what incentive is there to continue to be productive and grow a business enterprise?

The success of the top does in fact trickle down.

Think about how many people Microsoft has employed. How many millionaires and billionaires the company has created. We haven't even gotten into the charitable giving. Not too mention the ancillary and indirect businesses that have been created because of Microsoft. Think of all the pension funds (retired teachers, grannies, etc) who have a comfortable retirement due to Microsoft...

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

You mean Welfare? That's not the same thing because it goes away before work compensates you enough to even cover what you lose when kicked off it. It traps you in poverty.

I'm not talking welfare. I'm talking a base state of existence that's consistent across the board that work then adds to, not replaces.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 11:32 AM
link   

It doesn't matter, the sociopaths won already. I'm tired arguing about this... I have real life things to worry about, actually starting to stress myself out over this topic... I need a break. Sorry I got involved again. Out of stamina emotionally.

You tired of arguing about it because you have no logical or rational position to defend... just admit it.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Goddamn I should not have responded to this thread, forget I said anything.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Goddamn I should not have responded to this thread, forget I said anything.

I gotta agree.

Wanna talk about gun control and abortion?

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   

No because I'm emotionally drained because I care about the topic too much to be getting myself into all these arguments while also dealing with serious life issues. It's pushed me into full on depression and emotional stress overload.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   

We are not sociopaths, and it is wrong to call people that just because they have a different opinion.

This proves my point exactly, some people have no fight in them. Everyone's energy level and as you said "stamina" is different.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

And if you're not super human you deserve to live in the gutter, # the common man who is the backbone of the work force.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I am always taken aback by the lack of growth in line with inflation cost of living for the vast majaority of working people, in 1990 I began working as a skilled carpenter on £22,500 in 2019 the wages for a skilled carpenter at the same company is........exactly the same, yet the company has been sold and profits divided between the 1% and nothing passed onto the workers, house prices in my locale in 1990 were between £25,000 and £35,000 for a small 2 bedroom terrace now that same house is worth over £100,000 so even a 2 income household will struggle to make ends meet

Wage Stagnation in Nine Charts

The minimum wage seems to be nothing short of a scam, while it sounds good for lowed skilled jobs (shelf stackers, fast food workers) anyone who was slighlty above that hourly rate now finds their employer simplying stating "well you are on the minimum wage"

Jobs such as long distance lorry drivers used to earn upwards of £15 an hour now they get paid minimum wage of £10.50, dont like it then lump it attitude has taken over, the masses are figuratively cutting each others wages just to have employment

I believe most jobs which paid £20,000 over 30 years ago should probably be nearer to £30,000 these days, but not one of my friends is earning anything like that in full time employment, still the same wage but expecting more work and merging of job roles

What is the answer I have no idea, I am not paid to have an idea thats for the politicians to figure out....oh wait I think they have, they got us just where they want us.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist

If we actually stopped illegal monopolies from gobbling up all the smaller companies and mom & pop stores, wealth equality might be a little different. Instead, we allowed it... hell, we even shopped at it so we not only allowed it, we pushed it to where it is now.

Mega stores and online mega stores are the reason the law was made part of this country in the first place. Our forefathers knew about it but we didn't care enough to do anything to stop it. Guess we're just as much at fault for making so many people in this country wallow in debt.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   

No because I'm emotionally drained because I care about the topic too much to be getting myself into all these arguments while also dealing with serious life issues. It's pushed me into full on depression and emotional stress overload.

Lighten up, Francis.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Yeah damn those who people with no money buying as cheaply as they could so they could afford to live, damn them, they're responsible for all those monopolies...

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

You can blame illegal immigration and women entering the work force....

Wages are function of supply and demand.

Illegal immigration increased supply of low skilled workers causing wage stagnation. Not too mention in the trades.

In addition, women entering the work force also created wage stagnation. Literally doubled work force over night.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   

I've mentioned both those issues in the past. Always been for the border wall. They aren't the only issue though. Can't blame it all on that.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   

a reply to: StallionDuck

Yeah damn those who people with no money buying as cheaply as they could so they could afford to live, damn them, they're responsible for all those monopolies...

They are...

You can't on one hand complain but then run down to the Wal-Mart to save 50 cents. Businesses respond to consumer behavior. People vote with their wallets.

It is like when I see people complaining about airlines service / seats. Most people pick airline tickets by going on line and choosing the lowest price. As a result, airlines focus on cutting costs and stuffing as many people into the tube as possible. The end result is the cattle car mentality.

You cannot have it both ways.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join