It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do gay people have to announce coming out?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   
www.yahoo.com...

Poor Kevin Hart has had a bad go lately. He might have just done the most un-homophobic thing in the world and the far left
is going nuts.

"He said he was gay. So what!" said Hart during the conversation. Hart seems to be saying it's no big deal to be gay, but many saw his words as just another instance of homophobia.

If we think about that for a minute. If gay people want to be truly equal and treated as everyone else, why do they announce being gay? When
a person like Hart says "so what", isn't that a compliment as to "normalcy/acceptance etc." ??

Lil Nas says that straight people do announce it by saying they have a girlfriend/wife etc. This is mental, truly mental.

edit on 6-9-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Because it is a change.

Being straight is assumed, so for anyone to know you had made a change. You would have to announce it

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   

It's not just gays.
It's people today insisting on having a label and to be in a category.

Even straight people have been labeled "cis"

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: JustJohnny

Because it is a change.

Being straight is assumed, so for anyone to know you had made a change. You would have to announce it

Wouldn't announcing your same sex partner do the same thing? Just like Lil Nas's example. If Kevin Hart introduces his girlfriend we would assume he's straight, if Lil' Nas introduces his boyfriend we'd assume he's gay. Are they announcing because they want more dating prospects?

+13 more 
posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I don’t know about gays, but vegans announce the are vegan constantly and to anyone that will listen to their annoying, plant eating asses.

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 09:19 AM
link   

It's just attention whores looking for some more /any spotlight.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I don’t know about gays, but vegans announce the are vegan constantly and to anyone that will listen to their annoying, plant eating asses.

Very very similar. Nobody cares. Unless I'm inviting you over for dinner I don't care what anyone eats. Its super annoying. Almost as annoying as people that are gluten intolerant part time!

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Because it is a change.

Thanks for the heads up. For a while there, I didn't give a crap who was what till they told me all about it.

I'm in my safe space now.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Self acceptance against social norms or past social norms is the main reason I see for people coming out. I agree the reaction from the crowd is strange. If Hart is happy and comfortable with himself good. i guess the crowd still has some issues with it from that reaction. Whatever two consenting adult do is there business.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

The ones I know only offer that info when asked "What do you want? These steaks look pretty nice."

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Maybe we need to have gender reveal parties for adults.
or maybe nobody cares who you're F'in

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Sometimes of them need to announce being gay because unfortunately there are people in this world that hold it against them. As a result many gay people choose to hide the fact that they are gay to avoid discrimination and bigotry. When they are tired of hiding their sexual preference they need to tell their friends and family that they have been keeping a secret from them.

Fortunately most straight people don't feel the need to hide their sexual preferences, and strait is the assumed sexual preference most people give to a stranger, so straight people don't have a reason to announce their sexuality.

Heart's problem is that he's apparently not smart enough to know when its better to remain silent. He is a public figure; so that alone opens him to attack for no reason at all. He's already been chastised for homophobic remarks that he himself has apologized for. Then he put himself in a position where it looks like he was badgering a person because of his sexual preference. Lil Nas was answering a question posed to him directly by an interviewer about his personal experiences and instead of letting Nas answer this personal experiences question Heart decided to integrate Nas over it. Heart could be 100% correct in his opinion on the subject and he still went about conveying his thoughts poorly.

Hope that helps

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
If gay people want to be truly equal and treated as everyone else, why do they announce being gay?

Because they now can. And that's pretty recent. And it still appears to tie the knickers of some in a knot.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 09:29 AM
link   
It's only a big deal to "come out" if you face very real social censure and consequences for doing so.

Go to some countries in the Middle East, and you are brave to come out.

Here in the US? It's far more risky to MAGA and takes more balls. No one cares if you're gay anymore, and you announce it the same way a hetero announces it -- by living your life. It's not hard to figure out. You have pictures of a same sex partner where everyone else has opposite sex partners, etc.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Because it is a change.

Wouldn't announcing your same sex partner do the same thing? Just like Lil Nas's example. If Kevin Hart introduces his girlfriend we would assume he's straight, if Lil' Nas introduces his boyfriend we'd assume he's gay. Are they announcing because they want more dating prospects?

You can be gay and not have a boyfriend. But that being saud many gay people do announce they are gay by introducing their boyfriend. Some who might have boyfriend might choose not to use them as a means to announce they are gay because they don't want the two separate issues to be intermingled. Introducing your boy/girlfriend for the first time can be a separate issue for some people.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Because they are not comfortable with who they are so they announce it seeking your approval.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

You can be gay and not have a boyfriend. But that being saud many gay people do announce they are gay by introducing their boyfriend. Some who might have boyfriend might choose not to use them as a means to announce they are gay because they don't want the two separate issues to be intermingled. Introducing your boy/girlfriend for the first time can be a separate issue for some people.

I guess that is the issue. If other's have problems with that, that is their issue.
I think in a way announcing it says "we're different, but we want to be the same"

Maybe I am a much more open minded person than most, I just don't care, I really don't.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 09:54 AM
link   

And of course mostly it seems pointless because no one they tell is ever surprised!

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Wouldn't announcing your same sex partner do the same thing?

Yes, yes it does. I really wish people stopped making such a huge deal out of a lot of this stuff, because it just feels unnecessary. I have a few gay friends and FB likes sharing their posts with me, but one of the things that tends to annoy me a bit is how for many of them, being gay is the major aspect of their personalities. Everything about them is gay, everything they enjoy is gay, it's just gay, gay, gay. I get it, to a point. I'm a nerd, so many aspects about me are nerdy. I'm sure it gets on the nerves of a few people around me, but that's ok, I feel annoyed by all the people who won't shut up about football.

Back to what I was originally going to say, I completely agree with Kevin Hart's statement. To me it doesn't matter if a person is straight, gay, or however they classify themselves. For example, I used to play WoW back when it first came out. It was a fun game to play with the girl I was dating at the time. When we first played we met someone from the same state as us that we teamed up with a lot. He's a good guy, I still know him to this day. After a year or so of playing WoW with him, I could tell there was something he was wanting to talk to me about. He would hint at stuff, but then back away. I don't recall exact wordings, but I could tell he was trying to tell me he was gay.

Well, even though I could tell he was nervous as hell, he was finally able to get it out there. He didn't say he was gay or anything like that, he was asking me what he should do in relation to someone he really likes and wants to ask out. I listened to him like one would for anyone in that situation, and he casually mentioned "he" in regards to his crush. I was happy he was finally able to just say it and I made sure to not even bring any attention to it whatsoever. I wasn't going to go "Oh wow, you're gay?? Kickass!!!", or "Eew, gross", nope, I just spoke with him and offered the same advice I would for anyone in that situation. I could tell he appreciated that because he was no longer nervous about speaking to me about that topic.

I do get it, there's still a lot of homophobic people out there that are #ty, so many still feel they need to throw it out in their faces and force them to accept it, but that's also getting tiring. I personally feel like we're at an area now to stop having all these pride parades, being gay is more accepted than it ever was and it's starting to feel like the more it's being shoved in our faces, the more it's starting to annoy those that are ok with it.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Poor Kevin Hart has had a bad go lately.

He was just in a really bad car accident too, which he is getting back surgery for. Seeing the pictures of the wreck, it's amazing he made it.

<<   2  3 >>

join