It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dragons

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Personally I think that the Luck Dragon from The Never Ending Story is the coolest dragon of all time.

Yeah maybe, but you'd have to treat him for flees every 3 months

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Every other myth has a basis in fact - so does the dragon myth. Obviously our ancestors came in contact with some kind of large, possibly flying, strange reptiles. And the only large bipedal and/or flying lizards we know about are dinosaurs. So they have to be dinosaurs. There are still "prehistoric" fish and other sea creatures living today -- there's no reason why dinosaurs couldn't have coexisted with humans.
And maybe they WERE fire-breathing. The book of Job says that Leviathan shot forth sparks/flame - maybe that wasn't just metaphor. Maybe it was like REIGN OF FIRE - combining chemicals in its mouth like a Bombardier beetle does with its butt

posted on Jul, 24 2003 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by shiloh
Do you think they exsisted, and if so what do you think they looked like??

Yes I do believe they existed, and we are starting to get a good idea of what they look like. Many of the dragon myths of the old I believe evolved from dinosaur skeletons that appeared in the ground. Their scary, ailien-like look combined with a limited understanding of the Earth and what it housed and some great storytellers, may have given life to the such myths. But this is a totally unresearched personal opinion, I have nothing to back up this theory.

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Jul, 24 2003 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I think dragons were probably an outlandish explanation for dinosaur skeletons and bones discovered in the Middle Ages...

posted on Jul, 24 2003 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by feygan

Personally I think that the Luck Dragon from The Never Ending Story is the coolest dragon of all time.

Yeah maybe, but you'd have to treat him for flees every 3 months

- With a vacuum cleaner....

Blessings,
�m

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 07:41 AM
link   
i think they existed but i dont belive the fire thing its biologicaly imposible but i believe they could fly and looked like they do in the dungeons&dragons film

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Why do you beleive this?

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I believe that they did exist simply because they have been decribed by so many cultures in the past, possibly they still exist now. Although I dont think that they could have been in anyway magical.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by daniel191159
I think BlackRose is right. If you want more info on dragons on a different plane sign up with the msn group Otherkin. Find some of the draconic otherkin and you can ask them some questions.

CAN U GIVE ME SOME INSTRUCTIONS ON how to sign up to otherkin plz

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I think dragons did exist, but are now extinct.

I think man feared dragons, and in their desire to protect their families they killed them all off. Or at least most of them, and then they died off on their own over time due to lack of mates and possibly reproduction habits - maybe they only hatched one egg every few years or so (like the condor who only lays one egg every other year).

I think they were somewhat smaller than they are portrayed these days. I think they were sort of like an olden day whopper of a fish story, if you will. I can see it now ...

... some fellow off on a journey coming across a large lizard that scared him, so he killed it. Maybe the lizard had some odd feature - breathed fire, emmitted a foul sulphur like smell, had wing like skin connected from his body to his arms... something that resembled our modern day thought of dragons. So the fellow comes home with the thing and tells of his life or death battle with it. And others then seek them out to kill them and to show their courage, not to be outdone by their friend. Each story grows into taller and taller tales, so villages become fearful of this beast. I envision something like that.

It could have blown up even more if people found dinosaur bones and brought them home as evidence of their fight with a dragon. The pride of man made liars from the beginning.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   
You guys should really read revelations. Just from a religious point.That might help

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Dragons are still around.. Komodo dragons are not myths

But really there are prolly sea dragons (or animals resembling a lizard with a long body) Cant really say for sure about land or mountain dragons but hey.. With low oxygen and drunks anything is real ^_^

But seriously we dont know a lot in life so theres no way to say they dont exist in some way

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Knights wearing scalemail made from copper, bronze or brass would eventually be wearing green scale. Could this be where the dragon story actually originated?

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Sure there are dragons. Here’s a sea dragon

www.eveandersson.com...

And here’s a Komodo dragon

www.komodotours.com...

and here’s a weird looking croc from Costa Rica

costaricajournal.com...

and here’s a flying dragon

www.cunninghamland.com...

But in all seriousness, DaVinci had some drawings of dragons and so did the Chinese.. And the Japanese….and Koreans…Native Americans too... Hmm I’m seeing a pattern.. English, Africans, Australians, and everyone else too. In my opinion dragons could have once been real but not in today’s time. It’s kinda like the great flood story showing up in multiple religions. If all those cultures have some sort of dragon myth then the chances of them being real or once being real is pretty good.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by spaceman16
and here’s a flying dragon

www.cunninghamland.com...

Oh come on. That picture couldn't possible real... A flying dragon?! No way! I say hoax...

Originally posted by spaceman16
*** Snip ***
English, Africans, Australians, and everyone else too. In my opinion dragons could have once been real but not in today’s time.
***Snip***

You are quite right. Dragons are familiar in many different cultures, and have been for hundreds (in some cases thousands) of years. This does raise the question where the "cohesive" myth comes from. What always "bothered" me, was that there was no such myth in African cultures. Especially the southern black cultures. You say that there are such myths in African cultures... I would love to see them. (No, I'm not being particularly sarcastic. I would really like to be informed because I don't know of any.)

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by shiloh
Do you think they exsisted, and if so what do you think they looked like??
I do think they did at one time here's a good site about Dragon myths.
www.angelfire.com...

These creatures are nothing more than folklore. The Celtic race introduced the dragon myth into the British Isles and the symbol of a red dragon was adopted by the Welsh for their national flag.
The Anglo Saxons also adopted the dragon - a white dragon- which is really the ancient symbol of England on their flag.
The legend is told of two dragons sharing a lair one red the other white. A battle between them saw the red dragon fleeing and ths white dragon the victor. This is purely symbolic as the Anglo Saxons battled across ancient britain and drove the Celtic peoples into the corners of the mainland known as Wales and Scotland.
More information on British folklore including dragons can be found on this commendable website.

mysteriousbritain

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I siad this theroy on another post ages ago but I believe that dragons were actually the mistaken bones of a ptersaur.
Then the perons who saw this changed their mind about what they saw,
it was alive,
they killed it with a sword,
and just to show how graet he was it bretahed fire.

POssible this could have been during the ice age whihc would explain why both sides of the atlantic have these stories, lhtough ive never heard anything in africa.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Here’s one site that mentions dragons in West African Culture.

survive2012.com...

and here’s one that tells quite a lot about different ones.

www.polenth.demon.co.uk...

as far as their accuracy and truthfulness, I can’t say but here’s some more sites, to keep you entertained.

spiritualist.alternatehistory.com...

kinda hard to read but,

www.darksites.com...

[edit on 22-5-2006 by spaceman16]

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Thanks for the links. Interesting reads. It does, however, confirm that there is no such mythical creature in the Southern hemisphere of Africa. Also, why isn't there a single illustration (not even in the Western Africa cultures?) of the legendary dragons? Was all of this repeated by word of mouth? One would like to think that dragons kept to the Northern hemisphere - if they ever existed... But then there's ancient "dragon culture and legends" in South America...?

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Wiki has an interesting link on dragons

en.wikipedia.org...

it talks of the Amphisbaena, the two headed dragon that some of the other sites talk about, and it gives another link showing a worm like snake

upload.wikimedia.org...

I’m guessing it’s like the skink, nevermind it apparently has two heads, two functional heads, but it says that the myth started in Africa and spread to Greece. It’s a pretty interesting creature, none the less. According to this site

www.eaudrey.com...

It has the ability to rejoin halves of its body if cut in two. It can role in a hoop if it bites the other head. And it is said that wearing an Amphisbaena can help in pregnancy. It’s also described to have two green glowing eyes.

This site also shows a picture, but says its from central, south America.

www.gebyte.it...

Enough about the Amphi though. This site shows a picture of a African clay thing of the Ouroboros, which looks a lot like the Amphi,

sommerland.org...

It’s ^ from this site

sommerland.org...

This is the only thing I could find on an Southern African dragon myth.

funkymunky.co.za...

Just go down to where it says “Nyaminyami is also known as The Zambezi River Spirit” Near the bottom of the page. It talks about a water creature, like the loch ness monster in the Zambezi River. This last site shows a wood carved staff that depicts the Nyaminyami.
The man to the left. It looks like dragon to me. You were right; there are almost no Southern Myths of dragons of depictions of dragons in African folklore.

www.zambezi.com...

[edit on 23-5-2006 by spaceman16]

<< 1    3 >>

join