It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pointing a finger gun will now get you a misdemeanor

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Theyy

Be grateful it's not 1974. We are nowhere near the death rate by guns that we saw in 74, especially deaths that were not single bullet suicide deaths (which still account for the majority of gun deaths in the U.S).

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

The clear implication is not "I'm going to shoot you?" The jury or judge in this case disagrees. In fact the standard of "might own a gun" is realistic, that is going to be a factor. If in fact you carry a gun and then you make that threatening gesture to someone in anger then that is 100% a threat right? Is there any way to know if someone is carrying a gun?
Then isn't the correct standard to assume that they are?

You can't tell the difference between someone pointing at you and making a "I'm gonna shoot" you gesture? Honestly?

I don't remember how Gran Torino ended, did Clint end up shooting those thugs he threatened with his finger gun?

The percentage is of course greater than 0%, sometimes people follow through with threats, that's why it is a crime to threaten someone with violence, like threatening to shoot someone, even if you use a gesture instead of words.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: funbobby

The clear implication is not "I'm going to shoot you?"

No, the clear implication is "I think you're stupid." Turns out, he was right.

The jury or judge in this case disagrees.

The judge and jury in this case are also stupid. That's the point of this entire thread.

In fact the standard of "might own a gun" is realistic, that is going to be a factor.

Name one person who does not fall into the category of "might own a gun." Even felons "might own a gun." Every year felons are charged with illegal possession of a firearm.

If in fact you carry a gun and then you make that threatening gesture to someone in anger then that is 100% a threat right?

No, it actually verifies there is no threat. If someone is carrying a gun and does the finger gun thing instead of shooting you, that is a pretty clear indication he isn't going to shoot you. If he wanted to shoot you, he would have shot you.

Is there any way to know if someone is carrying a gun?

Moreso than there is of knowing if someone has a gun at home.

Then isn't the correct standard to assume that they are?

Dude, around here that is what you do. Probably half of all the people you meet are packing. We also know what a finger gun in and use them occasionally to indicate, as I mentioned above "you are stupid!" Likely over 9 of every ten homes has some sort of gun in it. So far no one has been killed or injured with a finger gun, and no one has pointed a finger gun, then went home and came back with a real one to finish the job. If someone wants to shoot you, do you really think they are going to give you advance notice?

No, they're going to show up, pull the gun, and try to create extra orifices in your body.

did Clint end up shooting those thugs he threatened with his finger gun?

Dude, Clint Eastwood is an actor. He didn't shoot anyone. He pretended to so people could watch the film and for a moment of fantasy think he did. The reason he did it was because a script writer wrote the words, "[Eastwood's character] shoots [pretend victim]."

Movies are not real. Sorry to burst your bubble.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   

He was so right he got arrested.
" If someone is carrying a gun and does the finger gun thing instead of shooting you, that is a pretty clear indication he isn't going to shoot you. If he wanted to shoot you, he would have shot you. "

Nope, that's not how it works. You haven't ever been threatened by someone with a gun who didn't shoot you? I have.

To be a valid threat it doesn't matter if they actually have a gun or not, just that they could have a gun, and almost anyone could have a gun. Which makes that a credible threat. That was my point. Thanks for agreeing.

People make threats they don't follow through with and others that they do, it's hard to know if they will follow through or not, that's why threats are illegal, why do you think threats are illegal?

"no one has pointed a finger gun, then went home and came back with a real one to finish the job."

Prove that claim.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   

" If someone is carrying a gun and does the finger gun thing instead of shooting you, that is a pretty clear indication he isn't going to shoot you. If he wanted to shoot you, he would have shot you. "

Nope, that's not how it works. You haven't ever been threatened by someone with a gun who didn't shoot you? I have.

He wasn't threatened with a gun. He was threatened, at best, with a finger.

Was he still there when the cops arrived? No... he was in his house. Why did he leave if he had a gun and was threatening to shoot the guy? Did he come back outside with a gun? No, he was still in his house. Why would he still be in his house if he planned to come back and shoot the guy?

Dude, i grew up in 1970s rural Alabama. I've been threatened with a gun plenty of times... I've been shot at! I've also been threatened with knives, and had a couple of people follow through on that threat (or try to). I've been threatened with fists, multiple times, and been beat up multiple times. Never, ever, have I been threatened with a finger and had someone follow through that threat with a gun.

You know, I feel sorry for both guys in this story, but for different reasons. I feel sorry for the guy who was arrested, obviously, but I also feel sorry for the guy who was threatened. Not because he was threatened, but for the same reason I feel sorry for you. A brave man dies once; a coward dies a thousand deaths.

It must be terrible to go through life so scared of a finger. You have my sympathy.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 10:13 AM
link   

You feel sorry for a guy who caught a misdemeanor charge for being a moron? So because I understand the law I am a coward? How does that work exactly? Is ignorance bravery?

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 07:51 AM
link   

You consider pointing a finger a threat. How is that not cowardice?

Do you not understand the difference between a finger and a gun? What would you do if an actual gun were pointed at you?

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: funbobby

You feel sorry for a guy who caught a misdemeanor charge for being a moron? So because I understand the law I am a coward? How does that work exactly? Is ignorance bravery?

I think the pendulum has swung too far in this case. That is why it is even on the news.
A finger isn't a threat unless it is touching you. When you watch the video, the guy cocks his finger gun and then what does he do? He walks away. That isn't a threat!

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   

I am sure I never said "finger pointing is a threat". However making threatening gestures intended to be threatening under the law is a threat.

Do you not understand the difference between misdemeanor threats and actually shooting people?

How is me understanding the law cowardice? Is you being ignorant of it brave?

I'm sure I didn't say that I have never had a gun pointed at me, you seem pretty intent on making up lies about me personally, also pretty intent in casting me as a coward, though you can't, are you projecting?

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 10:31 AM
link   
FROM THE FBI MOST WANTED LIST:
Fugitive Name: David Hasselhoff

Offenses: Assault with a Deadly Finger, Brandishing a Deadly Finger, Use of Multiple Fingers in the Commission of a Crime, Multiple Violations of the Digital Fraud and Abuse Act of 2020

Considered Armed and Fingerous. If seen, even on reruns, do not approach. Contact law enforcement immediately.

Will America ever be safe again?

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I won't be watching the video, I am already bored with this nothingburger.
So, hold on, this idiot was dumb enough to make a threat of violence on video? And somehow you feel bad for him? He is probably not going away for life over this, what was his actual sentence?

If a finger touches you then that is no longer a threat, derp, under the law that's an assault!

Saying "I'm going to shoot you" is an illegal threat, right? So why would it matter if you said it with words or with sign language or gestures?

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Majic

To be fair that man almost single-handedly brought down the Berlin Wall.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   

this idiot was dumb enough to make a threat of violence on video?

wait......................., are you the guy that he was pointing his finger at!!!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   

To be fair that man almost single-handedly brought down the Berlin Wall.

It's always the "good ones" that are the most dangerous.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I doubt it, I would smack the # out of someone who threatened to shoot me.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light.

Some people sunburn easily.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join