It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starting Today, Britain Will Be Banning 'Harmful' Gender Stereotypes From Ads

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

I think allowing dance classes with more women than men needs to also be banned. It sends a negative stereotype.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: InTheLight

Who says women are more likely to want the product? Advertisers do/quote]
False, consumers do. Women are 35% more likely to try to lose weight.

A higher percentage of women (56.4%) than men (41.7%) tried to lose weight.

www.cdc.gov...

Advertisers market to their audience.

Did you read the article I posted, this is true only in their harmful messages trying to manipulate and brainwash the young girls.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Did you read the article I posted, this is true only in their harmful messages trying to manipulate and brainwash the young girls.

I don't need to read the article, that is not what is happening. Advertisers market to their clientele. The people ACTUALLY doing what you claim are the magazines that edit photos and create the image you claim.
edit on 14-6-2019 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

there are more males who breakdance than females !

it depends on which style of dancing really

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   
IT IS BEYOND RIDICULOUS...

I'M NOT TAKING IT ANY MORE....

edit on 14-6-2019 by gallop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   
If your people are that weak willed and nonthinking that television commercials are determining their destinies then you have a lot bigger problems than just advertisements.

Why not educate your young people on Edward Bernays, Machiavelli and the history of how marketing and propaganda works? That way they'd actually be informed and have the knowledge to understand when marketers AND politicians are attempting to deceive, manipulate and control them.

Running from one devil into the arms of another for protection is not freedom from devils.
edit on 14-6-2019 by sooth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

We need to stop that too. All dance classes need a perfect 1:1 ratio. If you can't do that you can't be in business. Cuz negative stereotyping. Why are men the breakdancers? EVIL.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Over the last 20-30 years, we have witnessed a strong correlation between advertising and body image

There is a correlation between age and dentures too. These evil advertisers are causing tooth decay!!!

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: sooth
If your people are that weak willed and nonthinking that television commercials are determining their destinies then you have a lot bigger problems than just advertisements.

Why not educate your young people on Edward Bernays, Machiavelli and the history of how marketing and propaganda works? That way they'd actually be informed and have the knowledge to understand when marketers AND politicians are attempting to deceive, manipulate and control them.

Running from one devil into the arms of another for protection is not freedom from devils.

It'd be nice... but they seem to be banning anyone who doesn't simply spew the narrative. So who is going to educate the youth... apart from the miscreants in advertisements.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Another good one from your article ...

On average, most models weigh 23% less than the average woman. Twenty years ago, this difference was a mere 8%.

Guess what else has happened.

Both men and women in the United States are roughly an inch taller and 25 pounds heavier than they were in 1960, the study concludes.

www.livescience.com...

Guess what happens when the average woman gains 25lbs, it creates a bigger difference in what a healthy woman weighs. Your source sucks, and has no clue what any of the information they are using actually means.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian

originally posted by: shawmanfromny

The Left are behind this madness and because of this, people are now walking on eggshells everyday, scared that they may say or do something that upsets someone's feelings. ENOUGH ALREADY!

No they aren't, this had cross party support. And also, there isn't a big Left / Right thing like in the U.S.

This has much more to do with the fact that most of us over here believe that anyone can be whatever they want to be, provided they work hard for it. So, for example in the ad that you mentionned, there is nothing wrong with girls becoming ballerinas. But to show that only girls can be become ballet dancers (rather than engineers, etc) is wrong - both morally and socially.

And if you think that only women should do housework, that says more about you than it does about anything else.

Yep, please keep turning boys into girls and girls into boys lol. When SHTF it will make it so much easier to clear away the chaff. Just because liberals/progressives/sjws pretend to be tolerant, doesn't mean they are. They eat each other over virtue signalling and their crazy oppression tree. Imagine what it would be like when there's no insane government to protect the inmate's feewings.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

This is a pitiful move from a once great empire, who is now reduced to removing beautiful people from ads because ugly people are upset about it.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   
We are experiencing the same unbalanced conditions in American society.

Unfortunately the majority would rather be entertained with
hero worship of politicians, video games and television than
propose a viable solution.

Not one in a million has an active brain cell
of critical thinking to discern most of media
is orchestrated for public consumption.

Too many are asleep via subconscious cultural programming. So the
best you can do is protect yourself and family from pandering
psychopathic perverted politicians and the Media/Hollywierd
establishment that the majority supports.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Another good one from your article ...

On average, most models weigh 23% less than the average woman. Twenty years ago, this difference was a mere 8%.

Guess what else has happened.

Both men and women in the United States are roughly an inch taller and 25 pounds heavier than they were in 1960, the study concludes.

www.livescience.com...

Guess what happens when the average woman gains 25lbs, it creates a bigger difference in what a healthy woman weighs. Your source sucks, and has no clue what any of the information they are using actually means.

The advertisers care nothing for a woman's health, they only want to sell their product at any cost...money is king.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Advertisers of dentures don't care either. They have a product to sell. Advertisers advertise because there is a market. I already destroyed your source and article. Want to know an actual solution that I would get behind? Photoshopping models in magazines. I consider a photoshopped picture a lie, and you should not be able to lie.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 10:12 AM
link   
There have been numerous studies (if you care to look them up) that suggest the reason more men end up in the field of engineering than women is because males that have a natural inclination for math tend to be only good at math and therefor are singularly focused on math related fields, such as engineering. While females who have a natural inclination for math tend to be more well rounded and excel at other areas besides math and therefor choose to explore other options outside math related fields and are spread out accordingly.

You are taking a positive and turning it into a negative simply because for some reason you think it is 1950 outside. It's not 1950. Literally no one under the age of 85 in the western world gives good goddamn if a female chooses to go into the field of engineering. The argument you are making is that you think women are too weak willed and ignorant to make their own decisions so you have to protect them from bad TV commercials. How can you not see how demeaning this viewpoint is? You are the bigot. I believe a young female can dream about being a ballerina when she is 5 and then grow up and choose to be an engineer regardless of what a baby milk ad on television says. I believe people aren't as stupid as political demagogues want you to think you are.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Methinks lots of people are over-reacting here, and frothing at the mouth for no good reason. I think the word's "triggered"?

Most UK advertising is actually quite good and thoughtful. Sometimes adverts can be unwittingly stereotyping, and introducing standards to reduce that type of chance is appropriate. It's not really a big thing over here in the UK.

Here's the consolidated material around the ban on harmful content in adverts. The results of the consultation and the research are quite an eye-opener, even if you start looking with the blinkers on. The proposed change is this...

4.9 Marketing communications must not include gender stereotypes that are likely to cause harm, or serious or widespread offence

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

The problem is they think a woman on a weight loss poster is harmful, and a female ballerina is harmful.
The other problem is the government is determining what can and can not be said, that is extremely dangerous. That is the job of consumers.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Advertisers of dentures don't care either. They have a product to sell. Advertisers advertise because there is a market. I already destroyed your source and article. Want to know an actual solution that I would get behind? Photoshopping models in magazines. I consider a photoshopped picture a lie, and you should not be able to lie.

You say you destroyed that article, I say you did not. Advertisers have a market because they are creating that market by using lies in advertising, which are aimed at young girls and women who have to deal with trying to understand their place in it. It is all about fat shaming!

Protein World has been in the spotlight – and not in a good way. They were accused of selling supplements containing up to 17 times more carbs than listed on the label, states DailyMail.

www.dailymail.co.uk... bel.html

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 10:24 AM
link   

The problem is they think a woman on a weight loss poster is harmful, and a female ballerina is harmful.

Who is "they"? The "Beach ready" advert was not banned, or found to be offensive. It would not fall into this gender stereotyping discussion anyway. Lots of myths around this type of thing.

ASA on Protein World "Beach ready" advert

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join