It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starting Today, Britain Will Be Banning 'Harmful' Gender Stereotypes From Ads

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 07:40 AM
link   
This is nothing more than manipulation and brainwashing. Who gets to decide what's allowed and what isn't. What's next? Prohibiting what can or can not be shown on TV shows or the movies, because it might trigger someone?

The Left are behind this madness and because of this, people are now walking on eggshells everyday, scared that they may say or do something that upsets someone's feelings. ENOUGH ALREADY!

Ads featuring "harmful gender stereotypes" which are likely to cause offense will be banned in Britain from Friday under new rules that could have a major impact on the industry.

One of the ads identified as problematic by the ASA was a 2017 television advert for Aptamil baby milk formula, which showed a baby girl growing up to be a ballerina and baby boys becoming engineers and mountain climbers.

Another showed a man with his feet up while a woman took sole responsibility for cleaning up her family's mess.

This Ad Caused A Public "Furor?" Really?

The public furor over a 2015 poster on the walls of London's subway system, showing a woman in a bikini with the words "Are you beach body ready?," prompted the regulator to look into all gender portrayals in British advertising.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny

The Left are behind this madness and because of this, people are now walking on eggshells everyday, scared that they may say or do something that upsets someone's feelings. ENOUGH ALREADY!

No they aren't, this had cross party support. And also, there isn't a big Left / Right thing like in the U.S.

This has much more to do with the fact that most of us over here believe that anyone can be whatever they want to be, provided they work hard for it. So, for example in the ad that you mentionned, there is nothing wrong with girls becoming ballerinas. But to show that only girls can be become ballet dancers (rather than engineers, etc) is wrong - both morally and socially.

And if you think that only women should do housework, that says more about you than it does about anything else.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 07:47 AM
link   
"One of the ads identified as problematic by the ASA was a 2017 television advert for Aptamil baby milk formula, which showed a baby girl growing up to be a ballerina and baby boys becoming engineers and mountain climbers."

It's an awful lot more work to become a good ballerina than it is to become an engineer. Just saying.

+14 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

So either you show all the possibilities (you show every size, shape, color, gender, orientation, religion, etc., who can become a ballerina, mountain climber, and engineer in the ad) or you show no one ever doing anything? I know which one will be cheaper.

Why didn't the UK just more or less say they banned ads?

+10 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 07:51 AM
link   

No, once again this is change dictated by a minority of very loud twitter trolls and failed journalists.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

So either you show all the possibilities (you show every size, shape, color, gender, orientation, religion, etc., who can become a ballerina, mountain climber, and engineer in the ad) or you show no one ever doing anything? I know which one will be cheaper.

Why didn't the UK just more or less say they banned ads?

I think pretty much everyone would like to see all ads about anything and everything banned.

Ads drive me nuts and ruin a good tv(television) programme.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

Well there's that. I don't even watch TV anymore unless it's recorded. The joys of recorded TV, online streaming and adblocker. Though I'll disable adblocker on occasion.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Sounds very Islamic in nature.

Next- ? All british females must wear a burqa and blah blah blah.

Terrorism has many forms.

link   
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

To a point, at the same time, they do serve their purpose. People trying to let you know they have a product or service use ads and they do tend to work. If they didn't, they wouldn't be so annoyingly pervasive.

Imagine trying to start your own small business without any means of letting potential customers know you exist (ads).

link   
I know an add on a subway wall set my future career. Damn good thing it wasnt an add for a clown school.

How weak minded are these people that they truly believe a billboard add will determine the path kids take?

Big brother is here, just not quite what was expected.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 08:01 AM
link   

More like the progressives in the UK have fully demonized and shut off anyone speaking out against the far left in the UK.

How do commercials damage any gender from achieving their dreams to do anything? Do you have some tyrannical law saying women need to stay at home and raise children? How about businesses advertise however they want to reach their customers and make money so they can pay their workers without government overlords telling them to be PC.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Who is it that is taking offense in the first place ?
WHo is truly offended ?

just the ego , so no need to worry

Who gives a # , its advertising for material #e that no one really needs anyway

Stop watching television and you wont care about advertisements
or who has banned what in them !

edit on 14-6-2019 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Well you need to turn off your internet too because ads aren't restricted to television.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

I'm surprised anyone was offended by the idea of their daughter growing up to be a ballerina. It's hard, physically demanding, and darned athletic profession. That would be like being offended at an ad insinuating little girls grow up to be Olympic gymnasts or swimmers during the Summer Games.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   
So these idiots are continuing to look for ways to marginalize normal people again? Color me surprised.
edit on 14 6 19 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 08:19 AM
link   
It's a good thing amelia Earhart saw all those adds with women pilots when she was young...

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 08:22 AM
link   

That ad does not show ONLY boys can be engineers. I am actually far more impressed by a ballerina than a dime a dozen engineer.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
It's a good thing amelia Earhart saw all those adds with women pilots when she was young...

Just close your eyes and let your government and big brother control what you watch and how your business operates. The government knows how to make a utopia mmmmkay

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Just close your eyes and let your government and big brother control what you watch and how your business operates. The government knows how to make a utopia mmmmkay

Well to be fair there were better female pilots than earhart but they didnt have rich husbands.
What she did was become an icon.

Either way she didnt let anyone tell her what she could or couldnt be. That is inspiring enough.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Are these people thick?

That is not how advertising works. People don't look to ads for guidance in their lives. Advertisers do market research to decide the best way to reach their target audience. They likely found that young girls tend to be drawn toward being ballerinas and young boys are drawn toward building crap with legos and climbing trees so they marketed their product as such.

That is about the extent of their clandestine agenda. They aren't actively trying to oppress anyone and to think so it beyond paranoid and absurd. You really think a baby milk ad is going to make young woman going off to college stop and think to herself, "you know I was really interested in engineering, but now I'm remembering that baby milk ad I saw that one time so I'm instead going to be a ballerina."

This is nothing but misguided control freaks attempting to control everything about your lives. They are the ones with the clandestine agenda attempting to control your life to the point where you are the way they want you to be -- not the other way around. It is a tables-turned version of the the ignorant, bigoted and authoritarian identitarian christian right that dominated the 1950s.

You're only going backwards, boys and girls.
edit on 14-6-2019 by sooth because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join