It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tariffs on China how long will the pain last?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: tabularosa

prices should drop slower than rise. there are entire industries making money off of used products. Instability in pricing can destroy businesses financially.

A good example are pawn shops and TVs. One day the flat panel TV's showed up, and made the consoles obsolete. Pawn Shops still held a considerable inventory on their shelves, and their value was less than the investment into them was.

Then flat panel TV's and their rapidly falling prices. I can buy a 50" today for a couple hundred bucks. A couple years ago they were over $1000.

A good economy doesn't have rapid adjustments.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 11:52 AM
link   
It looks like a trade war has begun. I guess we will have to wait and see who blinks first....

www.marketwatch.com...

www.marketwatch.com...

Personally I think the Narcissist in Chief will destroy the American economy before he concedes to China. I had a sneaking suspicion this would happen.

Completely pulled out of the mkt. months ago.
edit on 13-5-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
But Americans are not stupid drones either

You seem to live in a timeline with a much, much different America than the one I've grown up in.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   

a reply to: StallionDuck

Americans dont want those jobs.

Seriously? Americans don't want careers in manufacturing? The same careers that built the single most powerful middle class in the history of the world from WW2 to the early 70s, when it all started being pissed away to China as regulations, labor controls, and free trade conspired to make it far smarter and cheaper to manufacture things in #hole third world countries like Taiwan, Mexico, and China? Americans really don't want $20 an hour plus benefits and job security in exchange for a simple GED and a time clock? Taken with your earlier comment, are you really still of the opinion that Americans aren't stupid, if you actually believe they're rejecting those job opportunities?

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I find it ironic that China is hated now that they are following the Capitalistic model of "profit is God"

Does some concept of "Nationalism" confuse you?

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   

It looks like a trade war has begun. I guess we will have to wait and see who blinks first....

www.marketwatch.com...

www.marketwatch.com...

Personally I think the Narcissist in Chief will destroy the American economy before he concedes to China. I had a sneaking suspicion this would happen.

Completely pulled out of the mkt. months ago.
A sneaking suspicion?

I'd say you don't know what you're talking about.

I'll trust a successful business man over some anon on the internet.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
LMAO, even after today I'm up 20% in the last few months. It's hilarious to watch you and mr eichenwald disavow the markets on every downturn only to miss out on huge gains within months. Pray tell, did you foresee doomsday two months ago when we were down 3-4% one day?

edit on 13-5-2019 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite
a reply to: olaru12
LMAO, even after today I'm up 20% in the last few months. It's hilarious to watch you and mr eichenwald disavow the markets on every downturn only to miss out on huge gains within months. Pray tell, did you foresee doomsday two months ago when we were down 3-4% one day?

Who really cares...it's just a fascinating diversion.

the mkt is just a game that those of us with a little disposable income play. I fibbed a little, I'm not completely out, 420 looks good with the change in national attitude about cannabis. Good luck LMAO...

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 04:44 PM
link   
we buy a few pairs of sunglasses every year from the dollar store!!!...in fact my prescription bi focals broke...up by the nose, every type of glue failed....I didn't need new lens..just frames...bought one of those dollar pair of reading glasses broke out the lenses and put my bi focal ones in...worked great...I was really broke at the time so it really saved me....thing was I could get away with wearing a certain strenght reading glasses to drive, but close up..I had to wear 2 pairs together...so much better to put MY lenses in!!! they have these treats for dogs with joint stuff in them...10 bucks a bag on amazon...1 buck at the dollar store, so it is not all bad stuff there!

a reply to: JAGStorm

Not for nothing but there are some gems in the dollar store.
They have these multi sized plastic covers with elastic that fits over left overs.
We have a kitchen full of plastic storage containers but for some reason my sons could never find any covers. Had to bend you know... LOL... anyway... those covers were right next to the foil and plastic wrap and saved a lot of leftovers from having the ketchup bottle fall into them.

I have a drawer full of plastic sunglasses in every color of the rainbow. A dollar a pair. Who cares if you lose them or break them. Wearing yellow have a yellow pair, have navy and baby blue. I have three different pink pairs. LOL I know my hubby just laughs at me.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Seriously? Americans don't want careers in manufacturing? The same careers that built the single most powerful middle class in the history of the world from WW2 to the early 70s, when it all started being pissed away to China as regulations, labor controls, and free trade conspired to make it far smarter and cheaper to manufacture things in #hole third world countries like Taiwan, Mexico, and China? Americans really don't want $20 an hour plus benefits and job security in exchange for a simple GED and a time clock? Taken with your earlier comment, are you really still of the opinion that Americans aren't stupid, if you actually believe they're rejecting those job opportunities?

IMO your take on this is the right one. What people don't want is to have to work in McDonalds because the blue collar, high paying jobs with good benefits in manufacturing have gone to China over cheap labor.

It was never our responsibility to pull China out of the third world mess they were and subsidize them joining the western world, but our politicians seemed to think so. Bush and Obama always seemed to be on the side of China over the US. China played them like a fiddle.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

IMO your take on this is the right one. What people don't want is to have to work in McDonalds because the blue collar, high paying jobs with good benefits in manufacturing have gone to China over cheap labor.

It was never our responsibility to pull China out of the third world mess they were and subsidize them joining the western world, but our politicians seemed to think so. Bush and Obama always seemed to be on the side of China over the US. China played them like a fiddle.

What an absolute load of rubbish! Seriously! Use a bit of logic here!

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

When you stop seeing 'made in China's then the pain will stop.

Until then I'll enjoy my Robert cop doll and my sorny prayerstation.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 07:46 PM
link   
So the choice is yours, buy cheap Asian junk or expensive US junk.

Even Harley Davidson moved mfg to Thailand. It's Capitalism and it's world wide. Survival of the fittest in the marketplace, it's a global economy.

www.usatoday.com...

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 08:07 PM
link   
What "pain", are you referring to? Don't buy sh*t you do not NEED. Other than that? You, or people like you, buying "entertainment" crap from China. I do not see any "pain". I'm not sure how "pain" even becomes a "factor".
Don't worry snowflake, you'll live/survive.
Even China has a "stock market".
Don't sweat it, cupcake! Even YOU, may be pushed so low to believe, that "freedom" ain't "free".

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 04:24 AM
link   

So the choice is yours, buy cheap Asian junk or expensive US junk.

Even Harley Davidson moved mfg to Thailand. It's Capitalism and it's world wide. Survival of the fittest in the marketplace, it's a global economy.

www.usatoday.com...

This is what these people do not understand. If everyone stopped buying "chinese junk" your own economy would suffer, considering thst most companies have their stuff made or from China!

Really! You do not have to be a rocket scientist to know that the "do not by chinese junk" is a dumb way go look at it!

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Double post ... too many background adds are causing a serious refresh issue.

edit on 14-5-2019 by DreamerOracle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 07:29 AM
link   
We all know how it will end...

edit on 14-5-2019 by DreamerOracle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Jay-morris

They would need to adapt, and move manufacturing out of China.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: Jay-morris

They would need to adapt, and move manufacturing out of China.

And how do they adapt? Prices would sky rocket if you want American workers not to be on a slave wage.

Not going to happen!

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: murphy22
What "pain", are you referring to? Don't buy sh*t you do not NEED. Other than that? You, or people like you, buying "entertainment" crap from China. I do not see any "pain". I'm not sure how "pain" even becomes a "factor".
Don't worry snowflake, you'll live/survive.
Even China has a "stock market".
Don't sweat it, cupcake! Even YOU, may be pushed so low to believe, that "freedom" ain't "free".

Oh how nice, calling me cupcake and snowflake. Darling, I happen to love cupcakes and snowflakes (the cold kind) and even love cupcakes with snowflakes. I suggest you read a little slower, and go post by post. You might learn something before jumping to conclusions and offering your "wisdom".

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join