It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California wants to tax your text messages

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

No, the tax goes up quite regularly. You haven't been paying attention to it apparently.

Really?

The federal gas tax was last raised in 1993.

TX 1991
AL 1992

edit on 12/13/2018 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Yep. This is the same place that thinks an extension cord will cause birth defects. I guess when you live in a state with so many nut cakes, you try to blame the effects on everything from extension cords to paint to straws.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   
The pollution smog and lack of water is turning people into mental disorders. No rational thinking going on in that state. They are falling apart. Maybe its the radiation in the water from Japan. If you want to raise money create a necessary product and give back to the citizens of the state. Maybe all the people are overloading the cell phone companies with too many texts. It is annoying the world is looking at their phones instead of at reality.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Try looking at the indirect taxes.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Actually, extension cords can cause birth defects... if one were to st the extension cord on fire and stand over it trying to sniff the vapors. Of course, that would indicate to me that the birth defect already happened in the one misusing the extension cord...

I guess plastic straws could cause birth defects, but that would require them to be in the womb with the developing fetus... not going any farther with that particular train of thought, thank you very much.

But, since California is so concerned, maybe people out there don't use extension cords as power outlets or drinking straws for oral purposes...

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: roadgravel

Try looking at the indirect taxes.

TheRedneck

haha. More ATS facts.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

No more taxes. Or we eat the rich. We aren't even hungry.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   
If texts are taxed, then why not go to facebook messaging? Or another messaging service not connected to the phone? No one said anything about other messing services being taxed. Only the texting system that comes with the phone.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Mystery_Lady

How does one do that retroactively?

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   
So, everyone is Hollywood is ok with this?
Or will they be exempt?

No question, this state is number one on my "never going to visit list"

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

What's Next California , Taxing my Anal Emissions for Destroying the Ozone Layer ? ......GTFOOH !

I believe that would be an “emissions tax”!!

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 03:40 AM
link   
So, what about people with prepaid phones? How would that work? There's nothing tying my phone number to my name, address, or anything else; I buy a refill card at Walmart or wherever, anonymously, and reload minutes. Does that mean only people with contract phones are gonna get hit with this tax? Or are they going to try to make prepaid users reveal their name and location etc. ?
edit on 14-12-2018 by riiver because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I'm surprised there hasn't been a big push to tax emails to supplement the post office.

Actually the usps did try that about 10 or so years ago.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: riiver

riiver, riiver, riiver... don't you realize that you should be happy to allow the Republic State of California to access your private information? After all, it's for the good of all*. Rest assured that California would never do anything untoward with your personal information**!

* Does not apply to those of US citizenry
** In this context, the term 'untoward' means anything deemed wrong or improper by California in its sole discretion

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Is there a tax on taking a sh#t on the sidewalk?

Maybe they should enact that, would generate a LOT of extra money for them.

A LOT!

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 05:59 AM
link   

. In the not too far future they will tax us based on how many times we inhale and exhale a day.

haha, they already do. There's a tax on the enviroment impact we have, just a way to say we're getting charged for breathing

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   

I'm in Missouri, so this craziness won't affect me...yet. I'm sure it will set a precedent and other states will follow along though. I really am curious how it will work with prepaid users, though--I don't see any way for them to collect this tax other than through the service provider, so will this mean the end of unlimited text plans? Will we all have to go back to plans with X texts per month, and a tax tacked on for that number of texts? Or will this just drive even more people away from contract phones?

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

We already pay a provider to be able to use a phone so why should people have to pay again to someone else?

f these fools

Not only do we already pay a provider, but how many taxes do we already pay for through that provider? There are a ton of taxes listed on your phone bill already, but that's not enough ... NOPE! Now we have to add one per text. California ... crazy. They should just pass a law confiscating all your money as you earn it.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: riiver

I understand your concern... I have seen things implemented in Alabama that I never dreamed could be, and they all started in California.

Here's an interesting thought though... if the tax includes messages received, I might set up something to continually text those who vote for this thing, just to help California out... I do have compassion, you know.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Here's an interesting thought though... if the tax includes messages received, I might set up something to continually text those who vote for this thing, just to help California out

You are an evil genius!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join