It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study - The #MeToo Movement is Back-Firing. American Opinion Has Shifted Against Victims.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 12:46 AM
link   
October 19, 2018

Considering all the arrests, resignations, and terminations due to sex offenses, this trend AGAINST Sexual assault/harassment victims is surprising.

ONE year ago Alyssa Milano, an American actress, posted on Twitter: “If you’ve been sexually harassed or assaulted write ‘me too’ as a reply to this tweet.” Within 24 hours she had received more than 500,000 responses using the hashtag “#MeToo”. Ms Milano’s tweet came days after the New York Times and New Yorker had published detailed allegations of sexual harassment by Harvey Weinstein, a Hollywood producer.

Since the #MeToo movement began, the share of American adults responding that, "Men who sexually harassed women at work 20 years ago should keep their jobs.", has risen from 28% to 36%.

The proportion who think that women who complain about sexual harassment cause more problems than they solve has grown from 29% to 31%.

And 18% of Americans now think that false accusations of sexual assault are a bigger problem than attacks that go unreported or unpunished, compared with 13% in November last year.

Surprisingly, these changes in opinion against victims have been slightly stronger among women than men. Rather than breaking along gendered lines, the #MeToo divide increasingly appears to be a partisan one. On each of these three questions, the gap between Trump and Clinton voters is at least six times greater than the one between genders.
Full Article here: amp.economist.com...

The study doesn't address the employment status of the respondents. But is it possible that those who are now more "against" the alleged victims, feel this way due to the atmosphere in their personal workplace? Maybe there are now more false sexual harassment claims and accusations?

-CareWeMust
edit on 10/19/2018 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I believe that could be the case. My sister's boyfriend has been accused twice
in the last 5 years by 2 separate females. Both cases were false accusations.
The police even picked him up and put him in jail for a few months based on
a false accusation. When the female was supposed to appear in court,
she out right gave up and confessed to making the whole thing up, because
of her uncle who was the real person who sexually abused her. I think there
are many cases that are true and there are real victims, but when the
accuser is just making things up or blaming others who did not commit the
crime; I think they should be held accountable for lying.
edit on 19-10-2018 by BADNEPTUNE because: spacing

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Is it a trend against victims?
Is it due to statistics?
Is it due to false allegations making headlines that need to be readdressed?

I ask the questions honestly. I do not have the answers.
It is an interesting thing to watch.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: BADNEPTUNE

The police deemed your sister's boyfriend GUILTY until he was proven innocent? What city was this?

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Men keeping their jobs after 20 yrs since alleged offending would predominantly be acceptable due to statue of limitations laws. Changes state to state but average is 15 years. If you havnt been charged and successfully prosecuted why should you loose your job. (and if they had they probably wouldnt be in that position to start with)

False accusations are a bigger problem as in todays very sensitive society re this issue the burden of proof has shifted to the innocent in this matter. Like it or not albeit unofficially.
( a terrifying thought ).

Changes of opinions slightly stronger among women would be reflective of the fact that a great majority of the false accusers would have felt guilt post accusing and pre surveying.
Not to mention false accusers telling there friends what they've done making there friends hearts go out to innocent men thus influencing survey outcomes.

Men love women, women love men who love them. This is where the lines get all muddled.

Very very sensitive thread, get ready.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

It's like movements today are approached with too much zeal. When statues were being ripped down, some represented truly good people. The groups went overboard.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 01:23 AM
link   

No big surprise when you see how the left has exploited it to absurdity.

Survivors need to be heard. No question. But when you suddenly decide there are never bad actor accusers.... Yeah, that goes to far.
edit on 19-10-2018 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: ALSTA

Overly sensitive is a good analysis. A teacher at my wife's school told her that the school principal was "undressing her with his eyes". But I don't think that's an offense...yet.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

The backlash will most likely swing the pendulum back the other way. Lets hope it stops dead center, where it should be.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Overly sensitive is a good analysis. A teacher at my wife's school told her that the school principal was "undressing her with his eyes". But I don't think that's an offense...yet.

Definately predatory by nature though.
edit on 19-10-2018 by ALSTA because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Agreed. I don't think there's a single one among us who does not know someone who was the victim of sexual harassment, abuse or worse.

The fact the left paints this as *their* issue is appalling.

The damage they have done just pisses me off.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Surprisingly, these changes in opinion against victims have been slightly stronger among women than men.

That's because the majority is us sane women are sick and tired of being made to look like unstable hair-trigger, spiteful, manipulative bitches as a whole. SOME women are, ours is a damn catty & petty gender. But in general, we don't like being told by a throng of screaming banshees "there's an issue, lose yo head!" when we look around at our lives and who we know, and know damn well there is no issue to maul.

Pound Me Too has led to a lack of credibility for women, ample (and at this point, well-deserved) skepticism, and is setting us back in terms of social relationship trust & romantic trust. We let the fringe retard ourselves as a whole (in the dictionary context of the word-- hold us back) Granted, it was originally based in good intentions for the assault victim minority, it was manipulated to something genuinely sinister and that's sick.

F# you, modern feminism. Thanks for the proverbial shot to the foot on a gamble.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Thank-you for such an intelligent and logical explanation from a STRONG INDEPENDENT SELF-THINKING woman's point of view, Nyiah. Way to go! Are you the exception or in the mainstream with your attitude? I wonder.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 03:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam

Agreed. I don't think there's a single one among us who does not know someone who was the victim of sexual harassment, abuse or worse.

and by the same token i don't think there is a single one among us that does not know someone who has been the victim of wrongful accusations. especially in the workplace.

then add onto that all the wrongful accusations that have actually made the news. two huge cases involving politics and politicians using false allegations against political opponents (successfully) or to try to stop someone they don't like from gaining a position in just the last few months. ex-higher education students that have been expelled ruining their lives, and even jailed over such fake claims. claims that in the end, sometimes years later are found to be false. even school kids now being falsely excused, expelled, and arrested for such fake claims. and these are just the few that have actually made the news. all these just add to people's legitimate doubts about such claims.

then add onto all that that those who are falsely accused publicly, or it makes the news have their lives destroyed with since even when found not guilty, never do loose their stigma of the crime. people will always wonder if they are guilty or not. some people choosing to believe they are in fact guilty, and just got off, and got away with their crime. as well as those that will believe that the person who was found guilty, is not actually guilty, and was instead railroaded like we know for a fact has happened. all this me too movement and false allegations, as well as the highly publicised political assassinations, really do is make the situation far worse for actual victims. during the whole supreme court confirmation farce, people were going on about how come people did not automatically believe the accuser. well how can people who have rational thinking not think about whether the claims were false of not, when there is just so much evidence of fake claims?

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 03:15 AM
link   

If you've noticed the people pushing these social movements purposely use questionable people as figureheads. They do that so there is a backlash to the source providing the front for which they hope to confuse as backlash against the message.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Hmmm.....

Wishful thinking (on her part) comes to mind !!

I dont think its possible to read anothers mind with any accuracy yet?

edit on 19-10-2018 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 04:54 AM
link   

It's not surprising at all considering how rape claims are being weaponized now.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 05:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

It's not surprising at all considering how rape claims are being weaponized now.

The leaders of this movement want us to prove a negative. I was taught you can't prove a negative that didn't happen. We are dealing with dimwits who don't understand the consequences of being a liar for their cause is hurting real victims. Instant gratification thru outright whopper lies is always very bad.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: BADNEPTUNE

your sisters boyfriend has been accused twice? and she is still with him?
bad news dude very bad news

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

ours is a damn catty & petty gender.

speak for yourself please

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join