It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not enough employees too many jobs -severe labor shortage

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: highvein

originally posted by: lordcomac
Why work hard for little to no pay when you can go on welfare and get the same money for no work?

A good full time minimum wage job will just barely cover the rent- you'll need to stack up 2-3 people in a small rental to afford food.

Maybe cutting welfare would correct that mind set.

Yeah, maybe... but I doubt it'd have a positive effect on the quality of life standards.

Though, if the minimum wage was raised... then it'd probably raise the quality of life standards and also correct that so called "mind set" at the same time.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
In our case, it's because a lot of workers left and got much easier jobs.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
In the imperial valley, crops are rotting in the field, not enough pickers now that ice has deported them.

How much inflation are you willing to take?
edit on 11-9-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Walmart makes 40 million a day in profit (1 apx 14 billion a year), so that 100 million isn't much, it would have to be much much higher.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
Frank truth is, most people are realizing everything is a sham. Many and I don't blame them would rather live on the street than do nothing but work til they drop to barely cover basic expenses. It's simply not a life worth living.

Maybe they can do us all a favor and just get it over with quickly so we can cull the population now of those who just want to do nothing.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Im hiring at 10-11 an hour and cant get anyone in for an interview. In fact when I ask around the people I know in the service industry try and get me to work for them. I joke I will steal their cooks.. starting to not feel like a joke though.. but I did find someone at leat part time.. Id prefer someone at 38 hours but what can ya do?

Its odd..

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   

The ONLY Solution is Wage Increases Across the Board for All Fields of Work to Encourage People to be Employed . A LIVING WAGE at Bare Minimum should be the New Norm in 2018 Considering U.S. Economic Growth .
edit on 11-9-2018 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: Trueman

I'm hearing a lot of that where I live. Many jobs want people to work 50-70 hours. Basically have zero life outside of work.

Exactly. And if you have wife and kids is way more complicated.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Reverbs

Im hiring at 10-11 an hour and cant get anyone in for an interview. In fact when I ask around the people I know in the service industry try and get me to work for them. I joke I will steal their cooks.. starting to not feel like a joke though.. but I did find someone at leat part time.. Id prefer someone at 38 hours but what can ya do?

Its odd..

!! or 12 an hour is why. average rent in this country is 1200 bucks. People cant live on 12 bucks an hour.

You have to hire a teenager for that..

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   

a reply to: howtonhawky

Ten jobs, five employees, you do the math.
Unless those jobs start paying significantly higher there isn't going to be a change. The only thing that will happen is those five employees will shift around.

The only answer is to find "missing" employees
-elderly
-non-working adults
-migrants
-more teens

That bezos bill looked pretty interesting.

Make the irs stop taxing labor. Taxing profit is allowed in the past but taxing labor until recently has not been allowed.

Every person should be able to make 100$ per day tax free.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Walmart makes 40 million a day in profit (1 apx 14 billion a year), so that 100 million isn't much, it would have to be much much higher.

Lets say zero profit, zero money to their stock owners etc and 1 billion extra from the family per year we are talking about 3 bucks an hour raise to all their employees.

My point is wages is a huge cost in any company and there is a fine line between too little or too much and most of the time wages are already at the point of max amount allowed and still keep profit coming.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   
It'll be fine once the robots take over. They work for electricity and repair service.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

!! or 12 an hour is why. average rent in this country is 1200 bucks. People cant live on 12 bucks an hour.

You have to hire a teenager for that..

If you are mid 20s you should not be making that low of an income with some skills in your pocket.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Lets say zero profit, zero money to their stock owners etc and 1 billion extra from the family per year we are talking about 3 bucks an hour raise to all their employees.

My point is wages is a huge cost in any company and there is a fine line between too little or too much and most of the time wages are already at the point of max amount allowed and still keep profit coming.

If they paid employees 20 bucks an hour they could cut the work force because people making twice the money will do twice the work.

Make it a job people like and worth having they will work their ass off for you.

link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

" Every person should be able to make 100$ per day tax free. "

That makes Perfect Sense , but Bureaucracies Unfortunately tend to Lean to the Irrational when it comes to Economics ......(.

link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

The ONLY Solution is Wage Increases Across the Board for All Fields of Work to Encourage People to be Employed . A LIVING WAGE at Bare Minimum should be the New Norm in 2018 Considering U.S. Economic Growth .

Increased wages leads to increased costs- what service do you provide?
Double the pay of fast food workers, cost of fast food has to double to pay for it.
Farmers? food.

Get it?
Double everyones pay, cost of everything doubles.

Maybe look at cutting taxes instead- property tax is outrageous, and for rental properties it's passed off in the cost of rent.
Income taxes are out of control- to pay someone 10 an hour it'll cost a company 15, and they'll only see 7. That means they need to make $15 worth of value for every $7 they take home for a $10/hr job.... which doesn't come close to paying the rent.

The money itself is broken by design- there's no fixing this while under the thumb of fiat currency.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

from your link

This is especially true for students of color and children whose first language is not English, critics argue. Math classes for students of different abilities represent an “outgrowth of racial hierarchies that have developed over the nation’s history and that have privileged whiteness,” argued Wells.

I can see some merit in stating that some whose 1st language is not English have difficulties, but to call it apartheid or privileged whiteness is stretching it.

sigh

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

So what is a living wage and what costs are we expecting people to have for that wage? Is single living a right or a privilege as example... Should a living wage be based on where 2 or more people share expenses or should that be a wage were one person can live on their own, have a car, phone etc.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

That such BS. The cost of everything has been doubling for 20 years. But the wages have stayed stagnant.

edit on 11-9-2018 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

We are so short of people at the company I work that we have to go 6 days a week instead of 5 right now.

I do 11 hours shift. So tired. Too much overtime is not good, too much taxes and not healthy neither.

same here. i am only on 9 now but was on 10 last week.
the guys on the deck have been on 12's for a few months.

been having job fairs. just like before.
same amount of people coming and going just like before.

otherwise i dont know because i am not looking. i just know how it is at my place.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join