It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LeBron Opens School in Hometown.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   
ATS, if you are looking for some positive news, and for ways to affect a positive change in your community, please check out this article!
LeBron has just opened a school for at-risk kids, I Promise, which is starting with 240 3rd and 4th grade students in LeBron's hometown Akron.

The school's goal is to graduate 1200 alumni from college by the year 2029. A very worthy goal, and I applaud LeBron for his most astounding perfomance yet.

If we really want to affect change, we are going to have to start directly in the communities and not rely on self-serving politicians to do it for us.

I just love LeBron for this and think his is the most productive and meaningful method of garnering attention for a cause. I wish him all the best (but maybe not on the Lakers...
).

A few excerpts from the article, but please follow the link provided.

Have a great week!

They brought together 120 stakeholders — parents, corporate sponsors, students, teachers, administrators and volunteers — to find out what students in their district really needed. Akron public schools are some of the lowest-performing in Ohio. They settled on a program that helped teach the skills children need to handle trauma they see in their daily lives, combined with a hard math and science curriculum that would help further their education.

The school’s “wraparound” services help reduce stress kids might feel when their parents are struggling financially. That includes job and family services, a GED program, a food pantry from which they can shop and choose their meals, and help with housing if needed. They have a seven-week summer camp program to help avoid the trouble that comes with too much free time.

Every student gets a bicycle because when James was growing up, he used one to get away from the more dangerous parts of his community. The students also get a Chromebook to complete their homework.

www.latimes.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

It is encouraging to hear/see positive life-changing projects like this. I'm optimistic about this as long as fraudulent people don't take the reins and use it as a cash cow or opportunity to exploit vulnerable youth (like many other "charitable" organizations do)

Nice work Lebron - I hope they see this through and achieve or surpass their goal

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

It is encouraging to hear/see positive life-changing projects like this.

Absolutely is, Fam!!!

(Nice to see you btw)

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   

I absolutely love this. I also love that Lebron has been helping kids for a very long time. This is not a one time publicity stunt type of thing. If people want change, this is exactly how you do it.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Kudos to LeBron for taking action to make a big change. This project seems to me that it will be wholely successful because the children are at the right age to effect change. What's taking the government so long to make these changes too?

It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. Frederick Douglass
edit on 17CDT08America/Chicago01480831 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

You're right-- LeBron has proven time and again that he wants to give back to the community. It would be great if other influential/wealthy people followed suit. Imagine where this movement might go.

Have a great day.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   

When I see a story like this the first thing that comes to mind is the saying, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can make it drink"

This is a wonderful concept.
Can we actually monitor the school for the next ten years and see if the system works?
We have seen money thrown at schools year after year and the education doesnt improve.

My dad went to a one room school in his elementary years with an outhouse and a coal stove for heat. He was one of the smartest people I've ever known.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I agree it's an excellent concept! You can believe that if the kids believe in themselves they will succeed.

As for the money, well it's Lebron's money to do with what he pleases. I can't think of a better way to spend it.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

When I see a story like this the first thing that comes to mind is the saying, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can make it drink"

This is a wonderful concept.
Can we actually monitor the school for the next ten years and see if the system works?
We have seen money thrown at schools year after year and the education doesnt improve.

My dad went to a one room school in his elementary years with an outhouse and a coal stove for heat. He was one of the smartest people I've ever known.

In this case, I see them leading horses to water that they want to drink.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Considering that kids are killing each other for a pair of his shoes, I think he should try to help them.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Of course there will always be ways of insulting kids we don't know and thinking they will fail before they even begin.

Always a way to turn a positive story negative.

Most people have already given up on these kids before they've even begun, thank God for people like LeBron James.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   

I am going to say something negative here, so I apologize in advance. And with a second disclaimer, if LeBron would have been pro Trump or nothing at all political, I likely would have said nothing.

This is why famous folks should not get political.(IMHO) He is doing something great here, and I wish more who were given the gift of more money than you could ever spend because of your skill set would do. But there are those who would try to find fault with him, just because of his outspokenness over Trump. I like Robert De Nero as an actor, and if he never ran off at the mouth, I'd be happier and not cringe when I saw him. Perhaps it's just me. But as with the NFL and protesting, sure, you have every right to do whatever you want to, but you can't change how those who were your fans will react, if you want to keep them as fans, just avoid the opinions in public. If you don't care about your fan base, and really like the idea of pissing off about half of those who would otherwise like you, don't change a thing.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Wonder if that includes ALL kids at risk or just a certain group?

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

I am going to say something negative here, so I apologize in advance. And with a second disclaimer, if LeBron would have been pro Trump or nothing at all political, I likely would have said nothing.

This is why famous folks should not get political.(IMHO) He is doing something great here, and I wish more who were given the gift of more money than you could ever spend because of your skill set would do. But there are those who would try to find fault with him, just because of his outspokenness over Trump. I like Robert De Nero as an actor, and if he never ran off at the mouth, I'd be happier and not cringe when I saw him. Perhaps it's just me. But as with the NFL and protesting, sure, you have every right to do whatever you want to, but you can't change how those who were your fans will react, if you want to keep them as fans, just avoid the opinions in public. If you don't care about your fan base, and really like the idea of pissing off about half of those who would otherwise like you, don't change a thing.

Where is the 20 billion dollars to be allocated to educational programs Trump promised to help inner city kids? I can't find anything on this.
edit on 17CDT08America/Chicago05880831 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

link   

I'm not trying to be negative.
I only want to point out this has been tried before.

This is a great gesture by lebron.
But I think he needs a different approach to kids.

link   
a reply to: network dude

I really appreciate your measured comment

Why is it that we (ALL of us seem to do it) need to know what someone's opinion of Trump is before we decide whether we can respect this person's words or actions?

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Chance321

If you want to ensure even distribution, start your own school!

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chance321

Wonder if that includes ALL kids at risk or just a certain group?

I am guessing it's a certain age group that is most vulnerable, as I read in a study recently.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I'm not trying to be negative.
I only want to point out this has been tried before.

This is a great gesture by lebron.
But I think he needs a different approach to kids.

Fair enough.
I wonder if the fact that he overcame his struggle to succeed and give back will inspire other kids.

I wish him success! We have to start somewhere

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

originally posted by: network dude

Where is the 20 billion dollars to be allocated to educational programs Trump promised to help inner city kids? I can't find anything on this.

I'm not sure what your point is, but I think it has to do with a sickness. Is your monkey down with the sickness?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join