It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops called on women breastfeeding their kids, then dozens of breastfeeding moms show up to protest

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti
Okay, since all the replies are on the same side, I'll present an argument just to keep things interesting.

There is a time and place for everything. Just because something is natural, doesn't mean it can be expressed in public. As a society, we have (used to have?) etiquette that one generation passed on to the next. This is true with all kinds of behaviour like how you dress, how you sit at a table when eating and even how you hold your utensils. Personally, I can only recall seeing a woman breastfeeding just two or three times in my life. I think what that says is that, for the most part, women are discrete when they do it. In that case, no harm, no foul. It's simply polite behaviour in public. I certainly have nothing against it.

By the way, it pisses me off when someone in public burps loudly or sneezes without covering their mouth. How long before I can't find that objectionable.

I have to agree with you.. there is a time and a place to do everything. There is nothing wrong with being discreet, and covering with a light blanket.

There are some weird moms out their who actually get kicks having people look at their breasts while feeding.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye
There are some weird moms out their who actually get kicks having people look at their breasts while feeding.

They're called WMILFs.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

Never thought of that but I can see it.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti
Okay, since all the replies are on the same side, I'll present an argument just to keep things interesting.

There is a time and place for everything. Just because something is natural, doesn't mean it can be expressed in public. As a society, we have (used to have?) etiquette that one generation passed on to the next. This is true with all kinds of behaviour like how you dress, how you sit at a table when eating and even how you hold your utensils. Personally, I can only recall seeing a woman breastfeeding just two or three times in my life. I think what that says is that, for the most part, women are discrete when they do it. In that case, no harm, no foul. It's simply polite behaviour in public. I certainly have nothing against it.

By the way, it pisses me off when someone in public burps loudly or sneezes without covering their mouth. How long before I can't find that objectionable.

I have to agree with you.. there is a time and a place to do everything. There is nothing wrong with being discreet, and covering with a light blanket.

Nothing wrong with it but equally nothing that should make them do it.

A baby's head will cover all or most of the area in question anyway.

For all those who have a problem with breastfeeding in public here is some useful advise, STOP STARING.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
For all those who have a problem with breastfeeding in public here is some useful advise, STOP STARING.

Or ask if you can get a selfie with her.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian
What a bizarre story.
Women in my part of the world feed and nobody bats an eyelid. I see it in cafes or benches in town quite often.
I think anyone who has a problem with a baby feeding from it's mother should ask questions like maybe they may have some sort of weird problem going on.
...probably the same weirdo's who would get a boner seeing topless women at my beach today. They protest too much in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

originally posted by: paraphi

We are objecting to her refusing to respect the establishment's request to breastfeed in the locker room, that is the extent of the objection.

Why do establishments prohibit things like this? That's the question. It's a sign of an immature society, but it'll change given time.

Perhaps the establishment has rules against any form of nudity, after all it is a public pool. But, yes, attitudes towards nudity vary throughout the world and I wonder if it has anything to do with cultural background as well as women's bodies being sexualized.

Ya think uptight religious belief/culture has anything to do with practically making it a sin to feed a baby naturally?

Time to evolve.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Agreed.
It's not a problem in my godless corner of the world, heck we have nudist beaches here as well as topless just being a 'meh' thing.
Any bloke with a problem about a mother feeding her child tells me weirdo, sexually repressed, and one to keep an eye on. When a woman is feeding her child it is just that. I think the complainers need to sort their heads out.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

We are objecting to her refusing to respect the establishment's request to breastfeed in the locker room, that is the extent of the objection.

Why do establishments prohibit things like this? That's the question. It's a sign of an immature society, but it'll change given time.

Perhaps the establishment has rules against any form of nudity, after all it is a public pool. But, yes, attitudes towards nudity vary throughout the world and I wonder if it has anything to do with cultural background as well as women's bodies being sexualized.

Ya think uptight religious belief/culture has anything to do with practically making it a sin to feed a baby naturally?

Time to evolve.

It’s also perfectly natural to urinate as well as have sex. Sex is a beautiful gift from God... should we allow that in public ? Please don’t tell me yes, because I fear the world is coming to that. Yet I’m the religious prude for thinking discrete breastfeeding is good.

Most people dislike public displays of affection, but those are perfectly natural as well .
edit on 24-7-2018 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Time to evolve.

It’s also perfectly natural to urinate and have sex. Sex is a beautiful gift from God... should we allow that in public ? Please don’t tell me yes, because I fear the world is coming to that. Yet I’m the religious prude for thinking discrete breastfeeding is good.

Most people dislike public displays of affection, but those are perfectly natural as well .
Don't compare pissing in the street with a mother feeding her child.
What's your problem with seeing a breast?
You maybe need to ask questions about yourself, see my reply above mate.
EDIT
Most people in my world don't mind public displays of affection...sounds like you live in the bible belt crazy world lol
edit on 24-7-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Time to evolve.

It’s also perfectly natural to urinate as well as have sex. Sex is a beautiful gift from God... should we allow that in public ? Please don’t tell me yes, because I fear the world is coming to that. Yet I’m the religious prude for thinking discrete breastfeeding is good.

Urination in the street is a public health hazard.

"Most" - - how do you qualify to speak for "Most"?

I see nothing wrong with public affection. If you're talking about Extremism - - well that's really a different subject.

Thanks for admitting you are a Religious Prude and proving my point.

edit on 24-7-2018 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

Time to evolve.

It’s also perfectly natural to urinate and have sex. Sex is a beautiful gift from God... should we allow that in public ? Please don’t tell me yes, because I fear the world is coming to that. Yet I’m the religious prude for thinking discrete breastfeeding is good.

Can I compare making babies to feeding babies ? They are both beautiful and perfectly natural .

I don’t think breastfeeding is gross, not even in public, but I give kudos to those women who throw a light blanket and form a tent for the child in public. I’m not going to apologize for my opinion or “ take another look at myself”.

I’m ok with who I am, just worry about yourself from now on, mate.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
If you're in public wouldn't a blanket makes sense anyway? You're either outside or under florescents. Gotta keep that light out of the baby's eyes.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Time to evolve.

Can I compare making babies to feeding babies ? They are both beautiful and perfectly natural .

I don’t think breastfeeding is gross, not even in public, but I give kudos to those women who throw a light blanket and form a tent for the child in public. I’m not going to apologize for my opinion or “ take another look at myself”.

So you are happy for a woman to feed her child? What are you arguing about then?
Pissing in the street is gross...breastfeeding is not. The only people who might have a problem with that do indeed need to ask questions about themselves though, in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Moms,....you feed them babies whenever they are hungry wherever you are at,..real men got your back.

Can you imagine a mother letting the baby lay there hungry and screaming whilst she ate her her meal?,..bet that coward would be pissed about that as well.
edit on 24-7-2018 by TAWonATS because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Time to evolve.

So you are happy for a woman to feed her child? What are you arguing about then?
Pissing in the street is gross...breastfeeding is not. The only people who might have a problem with that do indeed need to ask questions about themselves though, in my opinion.

I was comparing the two , under the “ natural” stance. What if people just pissed in a bucket by the pool ? Perfectly natural thing to do.. why not there ? Don’t get me wrong, I know the two are entirely different, yet they do fall under a “natural” act together.

I breastfed two children, and would always leave the room for a quiet corner somewhere, even around family. If I did have to feed in public, I used a blanket.

That’s just the way I rolled and I make no apologies for it.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I have never seen any women exposing their breast when feeding their baby. This will only happen if a person is being a pervert and staring at the woman, waiting for a flash.

If anyone is familiar with breasts and babies they will know that a babies head covers the breast when feeding. Most of the time people don't even know a baby is feeding, and well adjusted people don't care either.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

Fair one, but I can't imagine a reason you would feel the need to apologise for anything.

Feeding babies in my parts is actually promoted by local authorities, and the populace just see it as a mother feeding her child. The outrage seems crazy to me...and a bit weird to be honest.
edit on 24-7-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: thumbs up icon added lol

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

I'm with you on the pervert thing, I call them weirdo's instead.
Why are they so vocal and upset about a woman breastfeeding? I see deeper issues in the folk who are uncomfortable or disturbed about seeing a breast. They must have issues.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Bet they didn't call the cops on the women wearing thong bikinis with their entire butts and most of their boobs hanging out but no baby in sight, though. Ugh. What a double standard.

To the poster who said breast feeding was more common 40 years ago---no it wasn't. A combination of the " better living through modern chemistry" mindset and the embrace of bottle feeding by women as a way to free them from the constraints of breastfeeding nearly wiped the practice out for decades. Ask any woman who had babies in the 1950s. The push to get women to breastfeed again (which, for the record, I heartily approve of as a woman and a mom) really got going on the 80s and has grown since then. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I would hazard a guess that more women are breastfeeding now than at any time since WWII.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join