It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the flag of St George deemed racist when the other home nations fly theirs with pride?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Could part of it be similar to the German issues with national pride?

In the far flung past when England showed great pride they did some bad things round the globe, folks today think you should be shamed for what happened long before you were a twinkle in your dads eye.

Personally I say fly it with pride, lot of bad happened under it, but so did a lot of good, and if you censor it history is lost.

But what do I know, I think people should be allowed to fly the confederate battle flag also... and in some circles that's enough to make me such a rabid racist that I am one bad day away from lynching people.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

we also have diversity targets in Employment law ie Positive discrimination. Quotas of indigenous people to be filled.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

i do speak Gaelic, and Scots, i only type in English so you understand what i write. Also your laws are based off of ours, not the other way around.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: weemadmental
St George is flown all over England, was in Asda in Berwick and they had 4 full flags flying at the door. Had them flying in Newcastle when i was there at the Weekend. St George, and the Butchers flag are a sign of oppression and colonism, which quite frankly can be binned, especially with all this brexit #e that you lot have imposed on the rest of us

Ez tiger I belive you have had a vote for independence yourselves, feel free to suckle up to the greed of EU, I myself adore the highlands and have stayed near Loch Lomond as A child, in both the summer and winter (stunning with snow landscapes), never saw Nessie though

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

in the same vein i am not sure you are up on your history of Scots being relocated to Ireland in the 1600's, causing this # show with the irish upto now.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting

Saw thousands of flags up north during football.

The world cup has been good for England to bond nationally.
We need to keep that bond.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: weemadmental

Also your laws are based off of ours, not the other way around.

Who told you that nonsense ?

You need to do research on " English Common Law "

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Not quite...
Well they were "romanized" about the same time as the Britons - so thats where actual civilizing came from.

en.wikipedia.org...

Scotland's recorded history began with the arrival of the Roman Empire in the 1st century, when the province of Britannia reached as far north as the line between the firths of Clyde to the Forth. North of this was Caledonia,

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Its still strong, there were a lot of muppets in Moscow for the football, hope a lot of them met the russian police

Hmm, any proof of that?

What pish, just you remeber what your typing on and using was inveted by a Scot, infact most of your moden world was created or improved upon by Scots, so just jump back under that wee rock o' yours

PMSL.
Anyone can do that....
en.wikipedia.org...

We've got a bigger cock than you!

Look mate, I don't think anyone here is knocking the Scots - or Welsh or Irish - I visit Scotland quite frequently and have many friends up there, mainly in Glasgow.
I admire your pride and patriotism.

I just don't get why you are so hypocritical when it comes to English people expressing exactly the same pride.
Are you so bitter and twisted that you can't see that?
Are you in so much need of a scapegoat to blame all your miseries or failings on?

Why can't you afford the same respect to others that you demand from others?

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Interesting comparison with the Confederate flag. That's exactly like how some people view England's flag.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

but if there was one justified war it was WWII.

NO - sanctions and reparations from WW1 and the Versailles Treaty bled the German people.
Reparations were a novel idea imposed on the losers.

www.history.com...

The treaty, negotiated between January and June 1919 in Paris, was written by the Allies with almost no participation by the Germans.

And a bingo moment...war is all about profit

www.theguardian.com...

How Bush's grandfather helped Hitler's rise to power Rumours of a link between the US first family and the Nazi war machine have circulated for decades. Now the Guardian can reveal how repercussions of events that culminated in action under the Trading with the Enemy Act are still being felt by today's president

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Every nation / state / people who've ever had even the remotest semblance of an empire has committed atrocities and did 'bad things'.
Look at the Aztecs, Incas etc, they slaughtered millions and eradicated whole societies.
Some of the Ancient Chinese Empire's murdered millions upon millions.
The list is worryingly very long and probably says something quite disconcerting about human nature in general.

Hell, even the Spanish slaughtered far, far more than The British did in building and holding onto their Empire.
Yet the Spanish aren't universally hated anywhere near as much as the English are today.

Sure we did some 'bad things'...but it doesn't explain the level of hypocrisy and double standards towards the English here in the UK and in certain places abroad.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   

We have racist flags in America.

They deny minorities jobs.

The flags make minorities sit in the backs of buses and separate lunch counters.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   

I never heard of complaints of the Flag of St. George.

I have heard the People of Color express hatred for the Union Jack, flag of Empire, and oppression, and white supremacy and colonialism and all that, you know bro?

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   

As i said, im not bitter, and i do respect pride in your own culture, nationalism, dont get me wrong, its just English Nationalism is not the same as Scottish Nationalism, it is tied up in with some right undersirables, such as the BNP, fighting abroad, and some right nuggets, we get tarred with the same brush.

Its true that the English parliment offered a vote, im pretty sure that they rigged that, just look at the Mccrone Report, we are not going to be let go without a fight.

With Brexit it has #ed a lot of people, there seems to be a exedous to Scotland, and beleive me when i say this, you guys are all welcome.

Also i wear long trousers

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Aye after you wee Scoti buggers came over from Ireland and wiped out all the Pictish!
I kid I kid .

The thing is with selective use of History we can weave many a fine tale indeed.

But when looked at in the Whole, most of these narratives are not nearly as cut and dry as presented.

The English/British did many terrible AND many good things under flags, under orders, for money, for pride, etcetc.

Flags are coloured material/symbols, some people are triggered by the symbolism I guess. They need to get a better grasp of reality and analyse why they are reacting like that.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

do you think you had any choice, you were conscripted,

Ok so now you change the goal posts and call it "lack of choice"

this is what you said -

if enough of us do it and treat each other decently we should be able to reclaim the flag which so many brave men and women made the ultimate sacrifice to defend.

In the retelling of stories we tell our children of the "idol" in the front representing the enemy. Its sloppy thinking and leaves room to repeat the same sh^t. You must tell the story with all facts. Look at the same sh^t excuses that were used to invade Iraq to overthrow Hussein who had been previously assisted by the west.

foreignpolicy.com...

the U.S. government may be considering military action in response to chemical strikes near Damascus. But a generation ago, America’s military and intelligence communities knew about and did nothing to stop a series of nerve gas attacks far more devastating than anything Syria has seen, Foreign Policy has learned. In 1988, during the waning days of Iraq’s war with Iran, the United States learned through satellite imagery that Iran was about to gain a major strategic advantage by exploiting a hole in Iraqi defenses. U.S. intelligence officials conveyed the location of the Iranian troops to Iraq, fully aware that Hussein’s military would attack with chemical weapons, including sarin, a lethal nerve agent. The intelligence included imagery and maps about Iranian troop movements, as well as the locations of Iranian logistics facilities and details about Iranian air defenses.

The Iraqis used mustard gas and sarin prior to four major offensives in early 1988 that relied on U.S. satellite imagery, maps, and other intelligence. These attacks helped to tilt the war in Iraq’s favor and bring Iran to the negotiating table, and they ensured that the Reagan administration’s long-standing policy of securing an Iraqi victory would succeed. But they were also the last in a series of chemical strikes stretching back several years that the Reagan administration knew about and didn’t disclose.

And as for Hitler wanted us as an Ally, F@CK HIM, my grandparents wanted to fight him, I trust them.

trust them?.... well education informs sloppy thinking, especially if you're suckered fighting for corporate interests.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Football violence

Link

Youtube

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

No true Scotsman fallacy?

Yeah it's all made up
The whole idea of Scoland or Scottish is a big invention. Suppose like all groups of human apes it's just a grouping of them making up things. Ethno / religious nationalism and their invention, same for everyone I guess................. Especially the Scots

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

This thread is not even about the issue you seem to be pulling me over, I threw together a response regarding people who died for your valued opinion to have its freedom

I think you may need to check my post history in other threads also, I am against all violence, again I made a small overview of people who shed blood for us both to be here now, I was massively against the recent bombing of Syria, I think I even posted on here about it, maybe you should research my charcter before making those assumptions and "sloppy thinking and leaves room to repeat the same sh^t"

Go on make me out to be a warmonger if you like, it seems you think my grandparents who you have ZERO knowledge of are also corperate warmongers, mate I am so against global corperations, you have the wrong target in front of you

in case you cant read my signature

PEACE N-JOI

And you may have the last say as I have my son to look after

edit on 18-7-2018 by UpIsNowDown because: typo

edit on 18-7-2018 by UpIsNowDown because: typo 2

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join