It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are people mad that you have to work for Food Stamps / WIC?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: BeenieWeenie

In the U.K the unemployed basically live off £10 a day(£73.10pw), and that's nowhere near enough to survive.

God only knows how a person with a disability is supposed to sustain themselves on only$1.51(£1.14) a day???

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 07:29 PM
link   
"Why are people mad that you have to work for Food Stamps / WIC?"

Because you should be able to earn enough from your employer to not have to seek government aid. Half of the people on food stamps already work full time. Now you're telling me that if they lose their jobs for whatever reason they should lose their food stamps too?

That puts everything in the hands of the employer. When your employer suddenly has a say in whether or not you even get food stamps, that's a serious shift in power.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I hear you I was watching a story on the news about a crab com
any in Maryland which was saying they were going to have to sell crabs to some other state because they did not win in an immigration lottery which meant they could not bring in 50 Mexican migrant workers to pick the meat out of the crabs for them so they would rather shut down than look for locals to pick the crabs for them.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 12:23 AM
link   
My husband and I are disabled, living on less than $13,000 a year in Arkansas.
We get $12 a month in SNAP benefits.
It covers four gallons of milk.

We simply can't work anymore. we've tried.

Meanwhile, I have a friend whose daughter got pregnant, dropped out of a fully paid scholarship for college, and now who has three children from different fathers with another one on the way living with full welfare benefits because she chose to be a single mother for a living because she doesn't want to work.

Her mother supports her decision 100% and everyone praises her daughter for being "such a good mother".

The welfare recipients around here on SNAP and WIC all have children, decent cars and can afford a $800 a month apartment with all the trimmings. Meanwhile, we paid into the system through our labor when we were able to work and barely scrape by with no car, no cable, no bed and no couch.

We've frequently commented if I wasn't too old to have kids and we wanted them that we'd be living the high horse.

We can't even afford a car, much less a child, but we get to experience the wailing of babies and young children from all sides of our low income apartment because it's an easy cash out for most women around here.

It's infuriating.

edit on 6/27/18 by GENERAL EYES because: grammar edits

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 12:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Why is humanity the only species on Earth which bends over backwards to shelter and protect our weakest links, the anchors around our necks, while the rest of the animal kingdom acknowledges the laws of nature and embraces survival of the fittest? Ask yourself that.

The intelligence that leads (some) to morals might have something to do with it.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
My husband and I are disabled, living on less than $13,000 a year in Arkansas.
We get $12 a month in SNAP benefits.
It covers four gallons of milk.

We simply can't work anymore. we've tried.

Meanwhile, I have a friend whose daughter got pregnant, dropped out of a fully paid scholarship for college, and now who has three children from different fathers with another one on the way living with full welfare benefits because she chose to be a single mother for a living because she doesn't want to work.

Her mother supports her decision 100% and everyone praises her daughter for being "such a good mother".

The welfare recipients around here on SNAP and WIC all have children, decent cars and can afford a $800 a month apartment with all the trimmings. Meanwhile, we paid into the system through our labor when we were able to work and barely scrape by with no car, no cable, no bed and no couch.

We've frequently commented if I wasn't too old to have kids and we wanted them that we'd be living the high horse.

We can't even afford a car, much less a child, but we get to experience the wailing of babies and young children from all sides of our low income apartment because it's an easy cash out for most women around here.

It's infuriating.
Yeah I'm disabled too I know what you're talking about. I'm one step away from being homeless. I don't have a car either. I spent 8 years in the workforce trying but I couldn't do it. Before I just read your post I was thinking about leaving the US and claiming political asylum in a European country. I hear they treat their disabled better. Minimum wage in Guatemala is about what I get in disability. I'm sick of being treated like a second class citizen. I didn't ask to become disabled.
edit on 27-6-2018 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I've had to claim ESA because I've got some major health issues, possible MS, comes and goes so I can do sporadic work when I'm able to, but you are right £73 a week is a piss take after the tens of thousands I've paid in taxes over the years.
I'm managing an average of 4 half days work a week at the moment, I declare my income but it doesn't seem to be an issue with the DWP because I'm getting the ESA based on my national insurance contributions not the 'means tested' version.

I'm doing okay because I get a decent wedge when I can work (general building), and I refuse to accept I'm 'disabled', # me, I'm only early 40's, I should have 20 more years of work left in me lol

Corporate 'welfare' and tax evasion costs way more to the UK than benefit fraud, crazy how the government prioritises things.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Oh, it's a joke considering what we pay in over the years, could be worse all the same, could be in America and be getting handed food stamps.

To be honest I'm surprised people are not dropping dead from malnutrition attempting to sustain themselves on such a paltry sum of what amounts to not even real money.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 07:00 AM
link   

The US situation seems much worse for people in need, I agree.
Especially when you add in health costs, I had loads of drugs at the doctor yesterday, had a full eye examination with loads of mad machines in the afternoon, getting glasses in a week, got a CT scan next week, then loads of much needed dental work coming up, cracked crowns etc, all free.
I can't complain to be honest, glad I was born in Britain.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Health concerns aside, what about there rent, does USA have any form of housing benefit in place to cover accommodation of the unemployed there disabled?

I honestly don't know, i think it may vary from one state to the next, but one has to wonder if landlords accept food stamps or some other form of ticket?

edit on 27-6-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   

I wonder that as well, I have understood if you have kids then you can get housing help, but I think if you are single in the US then you are basically screwed compared to if you live in the UK.
Happy for any US members to confirm or deny that?
Right now I don't have to pay council tax (US=property taxes) because I'm not working much. That's saved me £120 a month, not a fortune, but still a bonus.

I could get food parcels as well because of being on ESA but I'll save that for people who are really poor, sanctioned etc, I'm still able to work sporadically so I'm doing alright. Don't need much money here when you can chill at the beach, life is always better by a beach.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   

I used to holiday in a place called Arisaig(Morar) where you could simply walk along the beach and pick you breakfast in the morning if you so choose.

All the Mussels, Whelks, Limpets and Cockles you could wish for, even Lobster and Crab if you decided to set a net on the way home from the pub the night before.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Plus housing and water and sewer and heat...

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Does it matter? Giving out anything for free encourages more of that lifestyle. I worked in AFDC in FL back in the day, and almost all of the recipients were working and playing the system. There are ways around the system if you know what and more importantly what not to say. If they are able to work and are not, then giving them some small 20 hrs a week might get them moving in the right direction. Before all these welfare program started people found jobs to feed and care for themselves and their families, but the system is set up to tear apart nuclear families, and make them dependent.

link   
Duplicate post. I am using smart phone, not sure why it's double posting.
edit on 27-6-2018 by UnifiedSerenity because: (no reason given)

link   
Another duplicate
edit on 27-6-2018 by UnifiedSerenity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: smkymcnugget420

In the Army, E-4 and below soldiers who start a family are immediately referred to WIC while the wife is pregnant, and thereafter because WIC is contingent on income and an E-4 soldier and below are seen as financially unable to meet all the necessary requirements.

Guess all those people are lazy bums who didn't earn it like you did right?

Moot point, they are working.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
While I agree if you can work without it causing further issues, some provisions should be made. For example - say a younger single parent in Colorado has to work 20 hours a week. Daycare for that week would be around 100.00 (based on average daycare costs in Colorado). Would it even be worth it? You have to subtract earnings from your monthly allotment as well, so they would get even less.

So I don't think without some changes for certain situations, it makes sense for every person. It might provide next to nothing based on your situation - or even be a loss, so pointless (and useless).

I think people should absolutely work if able and it makes sense - I've worked all except 30 days since I was 15 years old.. so decades of non-stop jobs. But I still think compassion and common sense should prevail.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: UnifiedSerenity

What if it was all free and people worked because they choose to endeavor rather than doing so for tokens to survive?

Its the paradigm we follow that's the problem, same one since the inception of recorded history.

Other animals do not work or serve masters in the same manner as we do.

The reason the 1% give our poor and needy poultry sums, just enough to survive and no more, is so they don't rise up and tear apart society and the status quo at the seam.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: dawnstar

Hmmm... why aren't we seeing anyone railing against the child care providers for charging so much to watch other peoples' kids?

Placing my head back on and taking a deep breath. Running a business is expensive. From rent / mtg, workmans comp, benefit, office staff, wages, insurance etc. It adds up quickly. The last time I was in business, my goal was excellent service and SURPRISE profit. I can't wait for you to post about your new daycare opening where you charge what your customer says they can pay!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join