It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most Successful Ethnic Group in the US May Surprise You

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Wow thanks for the link, didn't know that was actually a thing, but yes old line AAs do need rediscover their potential as was thwarted during the early yrs of the 20th century.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Amy Chua is a law professor at Yale. A few years ago, she wrote a book called Tiger Mom explaining why asians do so well academically and professionally. She followed up the book with "Triple Package" in which she exams other groups and theorizes that there are three characteristics that seem to correlate with group success...

The three factors that make up the triple package and determine success, Chua and Rubenfeld argue, are insecurity (outsiderdom), a sense of superiority and good impulse control...

The upward mobility of some immigrant groups compared to others is startling. So "Indian Americans have the highest income of any census-tracked ethnic group, almost twice the national average." Nigerian Americans, while representing 0.7% of the US black population, account for 10 times that percentage of black students at university.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

Wow thanks for the link, didn't know that was actually a thing, but yes old line AAs do need rediscover their potential as was thwarted during the early yrs of the 20th century.

I think American born blacks would have followed the same path as Nigerians... however, liberalism took away much of the community drive that focused on education and entrepreneurship. We took a wrong turn I think in the 50s & 60s...

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I've done business in parts of Africa and travelled there on several occasions. I remember someone once telling me that it takes a lot of hard work to succeed in their country. They see African Americans not taking advantage of what they have that they can only wish for. In fact, they're a bit resentful.

Personally, when I hire, the last thing I care about is ethnicity. Its all about attitude and ability.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   

I think you've got your perspective skewed.

Like it or not, adversity breeds resilience and strength, toughness. One thing many of these ethnic groups we talk about have in common is that they do come from countries that aren't all that great. India isn't great shakes to live in anymore than most African nations.

People who make it out of those places and legally get into the US are tough, resilient ... survivors. They bring that attitude and cultural ethic with them, and it leads to success.

Our native African-Americans had that kind of toughness and resilience too. Like it or not, they had to have it to survive the years of slavery and the later segregation. And they rose to the challenge by maintaining their toughness and family structure and cultural integrity all their own. They worked hard and made it work and succeeded the best they could for the times.

They have that to take pride in.

But once those restrictions were removed, daddy government stepped in and said, "Oh, poor you, look what a hard life you've led. Let us give you what you're owed and take care of you." That was the beginning of the War of Poverty, the Great Society. It was the beginning of the erosion of all those things that had held the native African-American community together through all those hard times.

They took the bait, and they stopped fighting as hard. Things eroded and continue to erode for them.

It doesn't have to be that way.

If you want another example, look what happened to Native Americans when they went onto reservations. It's the same thing for a different reason, but it had the same effects.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   

True something went wrong somewhere, but keep in mind they are out pacing native born whites as well, so, something is odd there as well.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   

True something went wrong somewhere, but keep in mind they are out pacing native born whites as well, so, something is odd there as well.

It's called - Everyone gets a trophy. We're killing ourselves in a similar manner.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Im unsurprised. A close friend is Nigerian. His wife was caribbean (she passed). His family is incredibly driven and successful. Hers too.

I know quite a few Kenyans too. Again...industrious people. They treat America far better than Americans treat them.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: EnoandToyvo

West Africans have some of the highest genetic diversity on the planet, coming from one of the oldest in-place base populations of humans on earth, augmented by early migrations. Accordingly, they produce one of the widest range of traits on the planet. Look to Africa to produce some of the most influential humans during this century, and beyond.

I had friends from Nigeria in college (Minnesota). They were really fun guys. This was in the early 1980's. Nigerians love to laugh, dance, eat, and enjoy life. They can also work their butts off. Cudos to these fine folks!

I've befriended some Ghanian's and Nigerian's they are really nice people and do not harbor the typical hatred for white/ American native populations as other immigrant populations and or native African Americans

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Not surprising at all, one of my colleagues is from Nigeria, 7 brothers and sisters, all of which are either in law or medicine. His family runs one hospital that I know of in Nigeria itself as well, and his parents still spend a lot of time over there. From a credential perspective, he has almost exactly the same as I do, however his family being well off has allowed him to afford a better MBA program.

Working in cyber security I see folks from Nigeria all the time in high level positions, they've all been extremely intelligent and well credentialed. So yeah, none of this shocks me at all, they bust ass constantly and absolutely earn everything they have.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   

it's easier to access programs for immigrants than it is native born American's

also our school systems are complete garbage

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick

Not surprising at all, one of my colleagues is from Nigeria, 7 brothers and sisters, all of which are either in law or medicine. His family runs one hospital that I know of in Nigeria itself as well, and his parents still spend a lot of time over there. From a credential perspective, he has almost exactly the same as I do, however his family being well off has allowed him to afford a better MBA program.

Working in cyber security I see folks from Nigeria all the time in high level positions, they've all been extremely intelligent and well credentialed. So yeah, none of this shocks me at all, they bust ass constantly and absolutely earn everything they have.

One of my Nigerian friends says that you still have to go through a Western academic program in order to be considered for many programs. Was kinda disappointing to hear that but she said there's a lot of corruption in government and academia there I think that plays a major roll.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That's a good point I've met a lot of African migrants and the majority of them have come here legally and that probably plays a roll in their success.

link   

Not typical. Outliers on the Bell Curve to be sure.

link   
they love them some mental health facilities.

do they get preferential treatment in the immigration department?

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

I think American born blacks would have followed the same path as Nigerians... however, liberalism took away much of the community drive that focused on education and entrepreneurship. We took a wrong turn I think in the 50s & 60s...

it's really an issue of culture, I've lived around poor black people my entire life and one common factor is ghetto culture

ghetto culture is super destructive

link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Parental involvement.

I keep tabs on a Gifted Forum for parenting gifted kids, and this topic has come up. When you talk about kids of ethnic populations who are poor but go on to succeed academically, it is because of parental involvement and investment. If the parents don't know how to help teach the kids, they find the programs where the kids can learn, and they find ways to either get it free or affordably.

They group up with other parents and take turns accessing each others' strengths to make sure the kids can take advantage. If one parent is credentialed in some way, then that parent is playing to his or her strengths to instruct the children of the group, etc.

They know the importance of education, and so they place high priority on finding ways to get it done.

link   
I guess all those spam emails yielded results.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Native born whites are getting lazy too...

The white population is splitting. You basically have upper class and lower class. The lower class exhibits a lot of the same social and cultural dysfunction that has rooted itself in the black community. Fatherless homes, poor education, etc. Basically, white trash culture. The outcomes are the same...

Charles Murray wrote a book called "Coming Apart" which specifically focuses on this dynamic in the white community.

In general, immigrants from many countries tend to do well as they appreciate the opportunities we have here... they've never had it so good and come from much poorer conditions.

I've made mention of this often times in debates about the poor in America and how most of our lower income folks really have no idea how good they have it. Even the poor in America live better than the upper class in many countries. I saw study showing that the bottom 5% of a Americans in terms of income, live better than than the top 5% in India. Let that sink in...

I recall when I was in grad school, I did some mentoring at a middle school that primarily served kids from a notorious housing project. One of my class mates was from Togo. He could not believe we considered these kids "poor". They had a big school, air conditions, desks, chalkboards, books, etc.

He actually brought in pictures of where he went to school as a kid. Basically a one room shack with a dirt floor. He just couldn't understand how these kids could feel hopeless and not be able to take advantage of their opportunities relative to the reality he had growing up in Africa.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: toysforadults

Parental involvement.

I keep tabs on a Gifted Forum for parenting gifted kids, and this topic has come up. When you talk about kids of ethnic populations who are poor but go on to succeed academically, it is because of parental involvement and investment. If the parents don't know how to help teach the kids, they find the programs where the kids can learn, and they find ways to either get it free or affordably.

They group up with other parents and take turns accessing each others' strengths to make sure the kids can take advantage. If one parent is credentialed in some way, then that parent is playing to his or her strengths to instruct the children of the group, etc.

They know the importance of education, and so they place high priority on finding ways to get it done.

That's what Asian's do as well, although I think being happy is more important than having money there's a correlation between the 2. Asian parents tend to be more strict but also hugely supportive. In the white community where I live parents couldn't have cared less about what was going on with their kids.

Foreign cultures have a tendency to have better local and familial ties because they come from more hardship which brings them together. Whereas in America everyone is an island.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join