It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wolf? Dog? Wolfdog?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Creature shot by rancher

On May 16 a lone wolf-like animal was shot and killed on a ranch outside Denton. With long grayish fur, a large head and an extended snout, the animal shared many of the same characteristics as a wolf; but its ears were too large, it's legs and body too short, its fur uncharacteristic of that common to a wolf.

So what was it? At this point, no one is 100 percent sure.

Frrom the first photo I thought it might be a bear cub, but the paws are not bear paws, and the face definitely looks canid.

More pictures at link.

They have sent the body away for DNA testing.

Any ideas?

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

Any ideas?

Creepy wolf-bear sex?

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Isn't there supposed to be a supposedly extinct species of wolf that used to roam with saber tooth tigers thousands of years ago? I've read where people have glimpsed them in the past but thought they were mistaken...

I'm going to search...

Yeah, found it. Its called a Dire Wolf, extended snout and large bones.

Dire Wolf, Wiki
edit on 24-5-2018 by NightFlight because: Researching time travel to find Dire Wolves...

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Whatever it is, it's creepy. I'll be keeping an eye on this story.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: NightFlight

Like a real direwolf? Maybe.

If the ranchers name is Stark, we have a real story here!

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   

You lost me... Is the Stark reference to the progenitor of Ironman? Is Direwolf a nemesis of Ironman. I have three grandsons that love the Marvel Comics and movies and I know a little...

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: NightFlight

Well, dire wolves were indeed a real thing alongside sabre-toothed cats once upon a time. It'd certainly be the most interesting option outside of a werewolf/skinwalker sort of thing that I think we can reasonably dismiss.

The Stark reference was to the Game of Thrones world where one of the main families/houses (House Stark) discover some "extinct" direwolf pups.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 10:13 PM
link   
It does seem to be a canine hybrid. Closest thing on wiki I see is a Jackal-wolf hybrid.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

That started me thinking on coyote-wolf hybrid (as jackals are rare in the Montana wild
).

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Amazing. Can't wait for them to figure out what it is.

I will say this, it's definitely not a bear.

link   

link   

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I guess ATS felt like emphasizing my post. Lol

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

A post so nice they posted it thrice!

I thought bear first looking at the first photo, but I agree, the paws and face are all wrong for a bear. Definitely weird and unusual. I hope it's some unknown species instead of a hybrid. The weirder the better. Think of the avenues it opens up on the whole, "if there were really a direwolf running around in Montana, there would be evidence" front.
edit on 24-5-2018 by RadioRobert because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   
That is one strange looking creepy critter.

It doesn't look like anything I have ever seen, and speaking of odd hybrids, A lady veterinarian in Texas found a strange hybrid not matching any known species and people were calling it the Texas chupacabre.

Perhaps we are entering a new age where these "hybrids" are happening for a reason, like the research of some special access black project with genetics getting loose, or being released on purpose from their base of operations.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 10:49 PM
link   

I would suggest a hybrid, Wolf / Dog.

Possibly something like a Wolf / Irish Wolf Hound mix.

P

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Werewolf
This is why I come to ats
Kinda wonder if these things are living and undocumented there must be plenty of other things out there

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

Definitely weirdness about. I thought the Chupacabra thing was ruled a coydog.

Serious question for people more versed in taxonomy: if a breeding population of hybrids thrives in the wild, how genetically diverse does it need to be to become it's own species and move beyond hybrid status? If a coydog mates with another coydog, and it mates with a coydog, et al, at what point does it become distinct enough to be considered not a coyote or dog or hybridnor subspecies? Ever? Or are they doomed to subspecies status no matter how prolific?

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Texas unknown hybrid

Edit: Yes, coyote and some kind of Mexican wolf was the closest DNA match, but it still was missing information, plus the actual physical characteristics with the 2 pads on that critter's rear end resembled the pads on some monkeys, and not found on any canine.

(These images are actual images of this veterinarians specimen she found)

I watched a documentary, can't remember which one, that focused on that Texas veterinarian's discovery and she even had a taxidermist preserve it and stuffed 100 percent intact. It had some completely strange and unknown physical characteristics to it that should not exist and don't exist for any known species. The government agencies she contacted denied she found anything even though she has physical proof of it. There have been a few of those seen and photographed besides her find.

Personally, I think it is the result of secret underground genetic hybrid research and creation, and they are purposely letting some get out into the wild.

edit on 25-5-2018 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 01:34 AM
link   

looks like a cross with african hunting/ dog if that's even possible
edit on 25-5-2018 by IAMAMOG because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join