It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New NFL Policy. Re: The National Anthem.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron

originally posted by: introvert

Heh this will just cause more people to stay in the locker room and cause more social media hatred. But I understand fully why the NFL is doing it, they most likely lost money last season and money is all they care about.

The management fully understands that the players may choose to stay in the locker room and will but the PR team told them to do this in order to protect their own image during the season, "Well, we recommended what they should do, it's on them now."

Here's what I would do if I were a player --

Post a photo of yourself on social media before EVERY game, with a hand over your heart, with a caption -- I love my country and I love my flag. And then stay in the locker room.

I love my country and my flag on my own, not because someone demands of me to do so.

NFL viewership has been dropping for years.

This protest nonsense was just more icing on the cake for an industry that will slowly become irrelevant.

I care about football as much as I care about reality TV, but I don't think it will be going away. As you said, bread and games, panem et circenses... it is a necessary part of every society that is ruled by someone; the more people talk about football, the less they talk about politics and what's going on around them.

Games and entertainment, no matter how pointless they may be, I don't think they're going away. If they do, we can be pretty sure, it's the end.

I did not say it would go away. I said it would become irrelevant.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I can't believe people care about this.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: network dude

Why don’t they play it everywhere and all the time then? Why not play it before an airplane takes off, or on a continuous loop at the grocery store, or at the mall, or in a public restroom, or any other place where people gather in public? I just don’t get why it’s so important to play it before a bunch of big hairy guys start knocking each other down.

I don't know. Perhaps if it really bothers you this much, you can contact the NFL and ask.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

They didn't until someone said they were dissing the flag.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

a reply to: intrepid

Isn't it sad that the NFL feels the need to explain themselves or placate to ultra-nationalists?

Those "utra nationalists" are just American football fans who got sick of being preached at and insulted by assholes in the field and asshole elitist commentators, when all they wanted to do is have fun watching a game.

I don't care what they are sick of.

They need to stop being SJW snowflakes and learn to pull up their panties.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: LordAhriman

They didn't until someone said they were dissing the flag.

Exactly.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Kharron

I always thought the impact would have been greater if they took a knee while on the field instead of the National Anthem.

It would have created more talk, and there'd be no confusion on whether or not they hate America.

Agreed, it would have. Taking a knee is being visible in one's beliefs, staying in the locker room is less so. Now they can only do one of those, but I don't think it will stop players from trying to take a knee.

After all, people have to be distracted and fight over something.

edit on 23-5-2018 by Kharron because: typo

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Sports is just entertainment. I don’t know why we even have the national anthem played with U.S. teams. At the Olympics - I get it.

We don’t play the national anthem right before a movie starts at the cinema, or at the opera or ballet. Why do it before a football game?

Because people that watch football are usually god fearing beer drinking red blooded Americans. Maybe not so much the Opera people.

They don’t want to see a bunch of black guys getting paid millions to throw around a damn ball talking about what a racist country they live in.

This is the only country in the world that will pay millions for them to play football. The rest of the world doesn’t care.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
They should have just removed the music and flag. It would upset many but it would be over.
edit on 5/23/2018 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Perhaps you and Kayluv could protest the NFL and have them remove the offending parts.

While would I protest the NFL or want them to remove anything?

I don't watch football. Bread and circus is all it is.

While it would appear unamerican on the surface, the American way is to be able to enact change, so picking apart a bit of patriotism would go right along with the movement to remove God from anything public. It seems to fit right in with the left's agenda.

Not only were you able to toss in something about patriotism, you got god in there as well. As I said. This issue appeals to ultra-nationalist types.

God and country, right?

Bread and circus...right?

It might surprise you, but yes, there are still some Americans who believe in God and are proud to live in the United States. If that bothers you, I feel I can say this on behalf of all the "Ultra-Nationalists", deal with it.

I do deal with it. I also have no problem calling people out for being bread and circus sheep.

Much of American marketing is designed to placate to boobs such as yourself.

Talk about god and country and you will spend your money.

Just look at good ole Budweiser on that one. They capitalized heavily on that patriotic meme.

I don't expect everyone to understand pride in one's home. Some people are takers, and some are givers. My experience serving my country was good, I feel like I was able to do a small part, while gaining some training and knowledge along the way, and for that I am thankful. I firmly believe that when I was working as a USAF person, I was helping to keep the tradition of keeping my country safe.

I won't apologize for my beliefs, just as I won't tell you what yours should be. You are free to mock the military, mock God, and mock those who served and died thinking they were trying to keep you safe. I'll just smile, shake my head and know in my heart that no matter what little folks like you think, there are those risking their lives right now, to make sure you have the right and ability to spew the garbage you spew.

Have a super day sweetie.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Would you be okay if they decided to be like all other entertainment venues and not play the anthem at all?

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

a reply to: intrepid

Isn't it sad that the NFL feels the need to explain themselves or placate to ultra-nationalists?

Those "utra nationalists" are just American football fans who got sick of being preached at and insulted by assholes in the field and asshole elitist commentators, when all they wanted to do is have fun watching a game.

I don't care what they are sick of.

They need to stop being SJW snowflakes and learn to pull up their panties.

Your elitist attitude toward anything considered traditionally American is among the reasons people abandoned the NFL in droves.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Perhaps you and Kayluv could protest the NFL and have them remove the offending parts.

While it would appear unamerican on the surface, the American way is to be able to enact change, so picking apart a bit of patriotism would go right along with the movement to remove God from anything public. It seems to fit right in with the left's agenda.

Not only were you able to toss in something about patriotism, you got god in there as well. As I said. This issue appeals to ultra-nationalist types.

God and country, right?

Bread and circus...right?

It might surprise you, but yes, there are still some Americans who believe in God and are proud to live in the United States. If that bothers you, I feel I can say this on behalf of all the "Ultra-Nationalists", deal with it.

I do deal with it. I also have no problem calling people out for being bread and circus sheep.

Much of American marketing is designed to placate to boobs such as yourself.

Talk about god and country and you will spend your money.

Just look at good ole Budweiser on that one. They capitalized heavily on that patriotic meme.

That's so funny and it reminded me of something that happened to me in a bar, when I went out with my brother and some of his co-workers. We're all sitting at the bar and we're laughing, joking, being loud and someone brought up some politics, something, it wasn't even important at all.

And this farmer in a flannel shirt, your typical cartoon character redneck, comes over and starts arguing with my brother's friend. And my brother goes to me and another person, quietly, "Watch this!"

"America, Jesus, Freedom!", he says. And I recognize it from a movie, so it's funny to me. But the redneck stops, looks at him, slaps his hands loudly and goes, "Whooo, that's what I'm talking about!" and walks away.

And the co-worker turns to my brother, mouth open, and goes, "What the hell was that?"

My brother goes, "He's an idiot, that's how you talk to idiots."

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

A bunch of black guys getting paid millions to throw around a damn ball. Add in the knocking each other down part, and you have aptly described why I think sports like football are pretty much the dumbest things a person could waste their time watching. Just my opinion of course. You god fearing beer drinking Americans knock yourself out.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Heh this will just cause more people to stay in the locker room and cause more social media hatred. But I understand fully why the NFL is doing it, they most likely lost money last season and money is all they care about.

The management fully understands that the players may choose to stay in the locker room and will but the PR team told them to do this in order to protect their own image during the season, "Well, we recommended what they should do, it's on them now."

Here's what I would do if I were a player --

Post a photo of yourself on social media before EVERY game, with a hand over your heart, with a caption -- I love my country and I love my flag. And then stay in the locker room.

I love my country and my flag on my own, not because someone demands of me to do so.

NFL viewership has been dropping for years.

This protest nonsense was just more icing on the cake for an industry that will slowly become irrelevant.

I care about football as much as I care about reality TV, but I don't think it will be going away. As you said, bread and games, panem et circenses... it is a necessary part of every society that is ruled by someone; the more people talk about football, the less they talk about politics and what's going on around them.

Games and entertainment, no matter how pointless they may be, I don't think they're going away. If they do, we can be pretty sure, it's the end.

I did not say it would go away. I said it would become irrelevant.

Oh, yeah, well, it's already irrelevant. In fact, it's always been that way for a lot of people.

Those who do follow it will not quit doing so until the bombs are falling around us. I agree with you though, I think we're debating semantics.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

Sounds like your brother is a judgmental asshole.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Just so we are clear, the above is one of the best examples I can imagine of a SJW.

You have no interested in the topic, claim not to care at all, yet you are emotionally involved in the outcome, and try to drive the narrative away from those you oppose. If you didn't really care, you likely wouldn't be posting about it. hence SJW.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Would you be okay if they decided to be like all other entertainment venues and not play the anthem at all?

If the group decided not to do that, it's their choice. I am still free to look at a flag and be proud of it, even if there is no song.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Just wants an opportunity to bash his fellow countrymen for daring not to think and live like he does.

No dog in the fight but still wants to place bets.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Nope, not enough. The boycott continues. EVERY player should be on the field, standing, respecting the flag during the anthem. I've not watched a game in nearly 2 years and this virtual platitude by the NFL means nothing.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join