It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home owner aged 78 arrested under suspicion of murder stabbing intruder UK

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I think the only facts worth considering if and when this gets to trial are:

1 Elderly man possibly fearing for his life and that of his wife
2 2 men half-his age (therefore possessing a strength and manpower advantage) in his property with criminal intentions and possibly armed.

I'm sure they could find some small charge to convict him on but I doubt there is a jury in the land that would find him guilty of murder. At least I hope not should no other facts come to light. I'd have been #ting bricks in his situation.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: PsychoEmperor

How can the police question someone in accordance with the law in order to establish the facts surrounding the case unless it is done in a formal setting and following due process?

The said due process allows the person in question to put forth their version of events whilst being recorded and with legal representation if desired.

Surely this also protects the persons rights and minimises the opportunity of any miscarriage of duty whilst helping the police to establish the FACTS.

Rare that they are but there have been cases where people in there 70's have committed pre-meditated murder.

Due process should be followed at all times, regardless of whether the crime takes place in the UK, USA or any other country.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

Someone needs to check his TV license.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Whats going on in the UK? You lot need to get your country under control.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

What's going on here is maintaining the rule of law and following it and due process rather than allowing mob rule.

Something that you trigger happy Yanks could learn from, apparently.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   

What's going on at ATS?
You need to start reading the whole thread, consider what people who live here in the UK have to say on the matter and think before posting.

After quite an absence from ATS it does in deed seem to me that there is a marked increase in US members who choose to criticise the UK and its members here on ATS at any given opportunity without giving any sort of considered or reasoned thought.

People in glass houses and all that.......

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

Sorry I did not state it appears he has formally been arrested on suspicion of murder... Make of that what you will and the current situation in the UK about protection of self and property.

The suspicion of murder arrest is probably just a formality and will likely be dropped when the investigation is complete , if the situation is as it appears to be I doubt charges will be brought and even if they were I don't see a jury convicting a 78 year old for protecting his property.

Personal disclosure.
The burglar got what he deserved.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Y'all need to grow some balls in the UK

No wonder Ireland wants out! Y'all turned into a bunch of sissies!

Far cry from the days of colonialization and running he world.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I don't see why he had to be arrested (unless that was artistic licensing by the writer) bring him down to get a statement sure, let yalls version of a grand jury do its thing then arrest as needed.

For those jumping on the UK it snot just them, over in Germany I was told that I had to run away if someone broke into my home, (so right now if my pregnant wife was upstairs and someone came in the front door I am supposed to go out the back door leaving her behind) I laughed and told her if that happens babe I'm going to jail.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy

What's going on here is maintaining the rule of law and following it and due process rather than allowing mob rule.

Something that you trigger happy Yanks could learn from, apparently.

What should I just but out and let you handle your own shi..?

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

In Texas I can chase them out the door, take aim from the edge of my yard, and snipe them from up the street in the back as they try to run away.

Not that i would.

link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Indeed. There seems to be a surfeit of knee jerk type reactions on here similar to the sort of level we get in our low end tabloid press.

It's the sort of reaction expected from your stereotypical London cabbie - "I'd string 'em up, guv, its the only language they understand", etc.

link   

Yes, please. We'd greatly appreciate it.

link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

What's going on at ATS?
You need to start reading the whole thread, consider what people who live here in the UK have to say on the matter and think before posting.

After quite an absence from ATS it does in deed seem to me that there is a marked increase in US members who choose to criticise the UK and its members here on ATS at any given opportunity without giving any sort of considered or reasoned thought.

An old man stabs a home invader with the invaders screwdriver and you guys arrest the homeowner. You guys have serious issues...

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy

Yes, please. We'd greatly appreciate it.

I bet you would... But your laws suck and need changed.. It is my place to point it out from across the pond right?
edit on 4-4-2018 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

link   

What's going on at ATS?

Yeah its a bit crazy when every UK member so far has explained that this is just something the police have to do and its totally normal.... no charges should be expected....yet members from outside the UK are talking like this poor old guy is going to die in a prison cell.

link   
For those of you who are so quick to kneejerk in your armchairs whooping and whomping and having a blast at the UK.

We have this entity called the Crown prosecution service (CPS) which has a code for Crown Prosecutors setting out the general principles which crown prosecutors should follow when they make decisions on cases.

Here is an example :

Public Interest

Self-defence, being an absolute defence, is a matter of evidence and is not in itself a public interest consideration.

In many cases in which self-defence is raised, there will be no special public interest factors beyond those that fall to be considered in every case. However, in some cases, there will be public interest factors which arise only in cases involving self-defence or the prevention of crime.

These may include:

Degree of excessive force: if the degree of force used is not very far beyond the threshold of what is reasonable, a prosecution may not be needed in the public interest.

Final consequences of the action taken: where the degree of force used in self-defence or in the prevention of crime is assessed as being excessive, and results in death or serious injury, it will be only in very rare circumstances indeed that a prosecution will not be needed in the public interest. Minor or superficial injuries may be a factor weighing against prosecution.

The way in which force was applied: this may be an important public interest factor, as well as being relevant to the reasonableness of the force used. If a dangerous weapon, such as firearm, was used by the accused this may tip the balance in favour of prosecution.

Premeditated violence: the extent to which the accused found themselves unexpectedly confronted by a violent situation, as opposed to having planned and armed themselves in the expectation of a violent situation.

All questions in order to educate yourselves can be found here : www.cps.gov.uk...

Sadly the gentleman was arrested as this is part of the official protocol of the CPS and I am sure that much empathy has been put into use by the authorities.

Of course the MSM will blow this out of proportion as usual as this type of story sadly sells.

However and taking into consideration the circumstances of how the intruder was killed I honestly think that this gentleman will not have anything to worry about as far as justice goes.

Kindest respects

Lags
edit on 4-4-2018 by Lagomorphe because: Crap spelling

link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Said from behind the safety of your keyboard from goodness how many miles away.

The fact that you say something like that reveals just how little you know of the UK, its society and its people.

No wonder Ireland wants out!

Ireland is already 'out' of the UK and has been for quite some time now.

Y'all turned into a bunch of sissies!

Wow.

You off school at present on your Easter Holidays?

Some believe we still do run the world, but we are just a little bit more subtle and discreet about how we do that now though.

What has that got to do with the subject matter under discussion or is this the limit to your carefully considered, reasoned and constructive contributions?

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

What's going on at ATS?

Yeah its a bit crazy when every UK member so far has explained that this is just something the police have to do and its totally normal.... no charges should be expected....yet members from outside the UK are talking like this poor old guy is going to die in a prison cell.

Its totally normal to arrest the guy who protected himself at his own home? You guys need help ...

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Not all of us , I prefer my ladies without them.

No wonder Ireland wants out! Y'all turned into a bunch of sissies!

78 year old bloke kills burglar with a knife and we're all a bunch of sissies , guess if he's shot holes in him we'd all be hard as nails.

Ahhh , the good old days.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join