It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher Arrested For "Child Abuse" For Forcing Student To Stand For Pledge Of Allegiance

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The teacher in question, was a physical education teacher at a Middle School in Lafayette, Colorado. She had been a teacher for 20 years in the Boulder Valley School District and was known to be strict, but had no prior problem before this incident. She turned herself in on February 1, to face charges of child abuse, as well as, assault in the third degree, and is currently on paid administrative leave. So what did she do that was so bad? She disciplined one of her students, by forcefully lifting him onto his feet, by his jacket and made him leave the room, when he refused to stand during the Pledge of Allegiance. A district spokesman stated:

"Students who choose not to participate should not be disciplined nor should they be forced to stand, leave the room, or be ostracized in any way."

www.nydailynews.com...

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but IMO, discipline starts at home, with the parent(s), and should be enforced at school. If we don't discipline our kids, they will grow up with a "me, me, me" attitude, with no respect or manners. At least this teacher didn't swat his hand with a ruler, like a nun did to me, when I misbehaved in her math class. This teacher is a "hero" in my book for dealing with a disrespectful and rude "brat" in her class and also for setting an example for the rest of the class. A teacher admonishing an unruly kid in her class, should be praised for doing a good job. Since when does the student "choose" not to participate in an activity in class anyway? Apparently in a liberal public school system, that allows a "snowflake" to get their way and allows a teacher to get arrested for showing there are consequences for being disrespectful in class.

+11 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Not gonna be popular but I couldn't disagree more.
Discipline does start at home and that's where it should stop when it comes to laying hands on.

Don't agree with child abuse charges cause that's a stretch but my daughter's teacher need not pull her up by her coat or anything like that.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Strange how people can feel so differently

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Wow. They should have gone to school in the 80's, 90's, and any time in history prior. You did what you were told. You were also told no, and paddled, and didn't get a prize for 2nd to last place. Well, maybe a pencil for placing 2nd in the Spelling Bee in grade school.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Well that's ridiculous. I could understand being reprimanded for forcing the kid to stand, but charges?

+11 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

"Students who choose not to participate should not be disciplined nor should they be forced to stand, leave the room, or be ostracized in any way.

If you wonder why there are mass shootings.

There's your answer.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   

So what did she do that was so bad? She disciplined one of her students, by forcefully lifting him onto his feet, by his jacket and made him leave the room, when he refused to stand during the Pledge of Allegiance. A district spokesman stated: "Students who choose not to participate should not be disciplined nor should they be forced to stand, leave the room, or be ostracized in any way."

I am sure you realize that there are People who feel worshiping the flag is wrong. They teach their kids this and it is true the flag is treated as an idol. It certainly should not be mandatory and is not. Personally if anyone handle my child in such a way I would be furious.

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

"Students who choose not to participate should not be disciplined nor should they be forced to stand, leave the room, or be ostracized in any way.

If you wonder why there are mass shootings.

There's your answer.

Well that there is a really big reach from not saluting a flag to killing sprees.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

And yet during the era of corporal punishment, and saying the pledge.

How many mass shootings were there?

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Your ignorance is showing.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Sounds like a case of over reaction on all sides.

Teacher FORCING child to stand up for the pledge of allegiance = over reaction.

Teacher getting charged with child abuse = over reaction
edit on 07228America/ChicagoThu, 15 Feb 2018 12:07:39 -0600000000p2842 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
link   
Good.

It's a violation of that child's Constitutional rights.

And has been for quite some time.

+1 more 
link   

UTTER BOLLOX

please explain the educational value of standing an regurgitating a covenent with the state ?

hint - children cannot make contracts

education involves knowing what the pledge of allegance is and why it is required for miliary , political and other service

etc etc etc

forcing a child to stand and regurgitate it = indoctrination

requiring an adult who wishes to serve in public office to utter it = an affirmation of thier fidelity

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Ursushorribilis

Someones is.

How about getting back to teaching actions have consequences like schools use to?

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I remember back in Elementary school in the 70's.

The principal had a paddle in her office.

If you were bad. You got the paddle.

My father in law said that the Nuns would give you the ruler across the back of the hand.

How things have changed.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

But what is the correlation between the two?
There was also segregation in schools at one-time. Did this also prevent school shootings?

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

How things have changed.

It truly has.

Discipline is neither being taught in the home or schools.

What do they expect was going to happen?

And their solution is more laws, and other crap.

link   

originally posted by: neo96

Someones is.

How about getting back to teaching actions have consequences like schools use to?

That's what parents are for. School is for education.

link   
"Force" and "Pledge" seem uneasy companions.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   

There was also segregation in schools at one-time.

What do you mean was?

It still is, as per the hyphenated Americanisms.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join