It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At What Age Does It Stop Being A Pedophile Issue?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yeah they are.

According to some people a 14 year old can make an adult decision abortion.

So all things being EQUAL one can hardly cry PEDO.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

An adult having intercourse with a child is not the same thing as an abortion.

You are a truly confused person.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Lots of hand me down dogma about that.

Well put. "Hand me down" dogma is an excellent way to describe this current process of "out with the old and in with the new".

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your politics at the moment) some older men are getting caught up in the transition. Some deserve to be prosecuted because they truly are bonafide creepers, or molesters, or pedophiles. But, some are not and each should be evaluated in context.

For decades, TV, movies, music, and celebrity have glorified sex in all it's perversions or beauty. Generations were raised on the visual, audio, and rhetoric of it all. We have all been bombarded by sexual images, suggestive lyrics, and celebrity antics for decades now. What's right and acceptable? What's okay? What's taboo? The lines have all been blurred.

We are in a stage of un-blurring those lines. Time to pay close attention to the new rules and ask ourselves: Is it right to apply new rules to judging older people. Those gray areas are there and should not be ignored.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Lolliek

While there is reasonably clear distinction between pedophilia and pederasty , neither is acceptable , but one is worse .
In Britain the aoc is 16 , but when you add other legal implications into the matter it is more like 17 and a half . Strangely enough I was given that information by a 16 yr old who had looked up the laws , and Im afraid to say it wasnt me who was hitting on her :/ . What is a fair consideration for most I think , si what is her dad going to have to say about things . Ifthat doesn't /wouldn't matter too much , then , ok , but put yourself in her fathers shoes for a minute . If you dont you should probably expect the cops

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
A pedophile is someone who is sexually attracted to prepubescent children. Sexual attraction to pre-pubescent children is not biologically normal.
Sexual attraction to those of the opposite sex who are physically capable of reproduction is, however, biologically normal.

For example, imagine a 16 year old girl that is sexually developed. Should a 40 year old man be seeking sexual activity with her? The majority of people would say absolutely not, as that's generally considered very immoral, and illegal. But biologically speaking, to find her attractive would simply be the body functioning as it was designed to function. Human beings are designed with the ability to reproduce, and we recognize when that is possible.

So why is it that we say it would be "wrong" for this man to seek sexual activity with the 16 year old girl? It's not because she can't reproduce, no - it's for different reasons. First, that age difference is not conducive to a normal, healthy relationship, or to having a normal, healthy family. Second, teenagers are generally considered to be less able to make responsible decisions than adults, and may be far more prone to manipulation or coercion. For much the same reason a boss should not seek sexual relationships with his or her employees, an adult should not seek sexual activity with a minor. So, we as a society strongly discourage such activity in order to protect those like the girl from being coerced into activity they may otherwise not wish to partake in. rickymouse says above "Once the girl is eighteen, then it is open season" - when we consider a person an adult, we also consider them able to make their own decisions, free from coercion or manipulation, hence that age barrier suddenly becoming no longer about law, but rather simply morals.

To put this in an other way, imagine an 18 year old man. He might see a woman in her late 30s and find her attractive. This would be biologically normal for him, as this woman is still able to successfully reproduce. Should he seek sexual activity with her, though? While legal, it would generally be recognized as odd and frowned upon. Now imagine that he finds a 70 year old woman sexually attractive. Is this normal? Absolutely not - because the 70 year old woman can no longer engage in reproductive ability.

tl;dr
Finding prepubescent children sexually attractive = not biologically normal.
Finding someone who is sexually developed and able to reproduce sexually attractive = completely biologically normal (but don't act on it if it's illegal or conflicts with moral principles).

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I'm in a relationship with a woman who is 10 years younger than me. If I was 26 and she was 16 (age of consent in my state) would it be a problem?

By the way I'm 52.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
I'm in a relationship with a woman who is 10 years younger than me. If I was 26 and she was 16 (age of consent in my state) would it be a problem?

By the way I'm 52.

i think so, there's a difference in an age gap among older people.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kuroodo
Pedophilia is a mental disorder where people are attracted to children. The keyword is children, not adolescents. This would mean people below the age of 12 or generally pre-pubescents

So the answer, when does it stop being pedophilia? When they're out of puberty.

This is 100% correct and we need to be careful in using the term Pedophile outside of its true meaning. Pedophilia is a [incurable] mental disorder that people with this disorder have a never ending sexual desire for pre-pubescents, so when someone throws this label around that is what they are saying even if that is not truly what they mean.

Age is all based on social norms, so whether it is purity+, 13+ 14+ 16+ 18+ all of it is determined by social norms and is based more on the mental status and not biological status.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

If I was 26 and she was 16, our relationship would be completely legal. These days it is always assumed that in a relationship like that, the older person is praying on the younger.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   

By the way I'm 52.

As you get older, the gap in age isn't reflected as much in terms of differences in maturity. The differences between a 26 year old and a 16 year mentally are significant. However, a 55 year old and a 44 year old may be similar mentally and in life experiences making the relationship much more normal and compatible.

When I was in mid to upper 20s in grad school, other than sex, there wasn't much really an undergrad could offer. In my mid 40s, when I see 20 something women they look very immature now.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

We are in a stage of un-blurring those lines. Time to pay close attention to the new rules and ask ourselves: Is it right to apply new rules to judging older people. Those gray areas are there and should not be ignored.

No grey areas here. I don't care who they are, sex with children is abhorrent.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Another thing to consider is that while people today mature sexually the same, older generations matured mentally much earlier. Back in the day, you could be a full blown adult at like 14 years old in terms of responsibilities and life experiences whereas that really isn't the case nowadays with adulthood being delayed for many kids until their early 20s.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
...that really isn't the case nowadays with adulthood being delayed for many kids until their early 20s.

Or in my case, even longer.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   

By the way I'm 52.

When I was 25 I met this girl at a club and we started dating. For about 2 month we had a sexual relationship and then I found out she was still in high school as the new year started. She was 16 and was using her 21 year old sister's ID, soon after that relationship ended, but I can tell you I had no clue to her age anything short of 20+ at the time.

The biggest problem I have with older people dating highschoolers is the higher chance for predatory activity by a more mature person, whether male or female, that could create longer lasting mental issues with someone that we would think of as underdeveloped mentally compared to full adults. This is always a case by case situation though.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   

a reply to: fiverx313

If I was 26 and she was 16, our relationship would be completely legal. These days it is always assumed that in a relationship like that, the older person is praying on the younger.

I wouldn't say it's always the case, but when i see someone who dates someone much younger... especially if everyone they date is much younger... i wonder about their motives and their maturity.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Lolliek

Ask Woody Allen.

Somehow, no one has gone after him for both dating and marrying his teen-aged adopted daughter.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Guess you're not a Stern fan.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Nope. Haven't ever really listened to him.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

He was merciless when that news came out and still, to this day, vilifies that slime ball.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Being that it is in my mind an adult issue, ahem.

When you can sign up for selective services and vote as an adult, then you can let yourself get swept-away by your creep. Hopefully by then you're onto their mishap of character.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join