It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home protection

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Not sure I want a shotgun.

Why not?

It's a good addition to home defense.
edit on 24-11-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Your kidding us, right, about thinking you might have purchased an old Colt (for a small fortune) or a repo?

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

Not sure I want a shotgun.

Why not?

It's a good addition to home defense.

Oh Yeah. I go with a shorter barrel length.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.

Get your wife this for Christmas. I'm not sure if it comes in pink though.

You could pastidip it.....

Not sure I want a shotgun. I like rifles. But the bolt action doesn't have the intimidating sound of a shotgun.

Sure you do. A near miss counts and makes it more likely you can get some use out of that back hoe.
edit on 11/24/2017 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Oh yeah. I had a friend that lived in some crappy apartments.

One day he was trying to take a nap when he heard the window break. He jumped out of bed and grabbed the shotgun in his closet. As he rounded the corner into the living room he racked the slide. The would be intruder leaped right back out of the window he came in.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

Your kidding us, right, about thinking you might have purchased an old Colt (for a small fortune) or a repo?

20 grand for an old colt or a repo?

20 grand would be an investment.

The repo would be for play.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Picked up a Taurus PT 709 9mm SLIM... tiny little thing.. No imprint concealed and great size for woman!

PS the JUDGE is awesome! Looking at 44 mag for myself...
edit on 24-11-2017 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 06:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: Aliensun

20 grand for an old colt or a repo?

20 grand would be an investment.

The repo would be for play.

Well, yeah. Which did you buy?

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
a reply to: intrptr

Oh yeah. I had a friend that lived in some crappy apartments.

One day he was trying to take a nap when he heard the window break. He jumped out of bed and grabbed the shotgun in his closet. As he rounded the corner into the living room he racked the slide. The would be intruder leaped right back out of the window he came in.

There you go. Everybody recognizes that sound, knows what it means. We don't really want to kill anyone we don't have to. Plus the shotgun hits hard, is easier to aim in a darkened hallway and, with a load of bird shot, won't over penetrate other rooms where loved ones might be hiding or homes across the street like a pistol or rifle.

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 06:47 AM
link   

More effective than shotgun and eliminates the need for a backhoe.
[ you may have to do some slight remodeling though ]

On the bright side, after that first one, no one will ever break in again.

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Unless they're really flyin' on something, a .38+P would get the job done generally.

Her mindset of just wanting to scare 'em may mitigate that though. Maybe a shotgun, with the sound that the pump will make, that will give her the intimidation...and something with more than a little authority behind it, if the warning doesn't work...

Just a thought.

Sorry, but that is known to be a Very Bad Idea™.

You make a noise and the BG, if he is armed, shoots at the noise.

Also, a firing solution for someone who does not want to harm anyone is also not going to work. The person will freeze, and the BG now has a firearm.

A better set of solutions involves a layered defense, an analysis of your vulnerabilities, and a strategic plan that you can practice.

Look at your situation, home defense, car defense, personal defense walking around, whatever. Work on and discuss a plan that the person can do.

As to 'sounds', look into a 'bark alarm'. That will do a lot more than a 'shotgun racking'. In fact, you can download a sound effect and play that on your iPhone. Why buy a 'shotgun', especially if your spouse won't shoot?

As far as learning to use deadly force, though I don't always advocate training for this, if your REALLY think you will need it, for example you have a specific stalker, or you are targetted somehow, go take some tactical training. The training will do more for you than just having a tool you don't have experience in using.

Use both internal (target shooting) and external (paintball gaming, airsoft tactical play) to enable some basic skill shooting and moving, again, IF you think there is a serious threat. Otherwise, layered defense.

1) Exterior motion sensor lighting
2) Robust exterior doors with doorjam bars
3) Coating downstairs windows with 3M clear lining (impact resistant)
4) Neighborhood watch
5) Video monitoring
6) Alarm systems (not linked to a central service, just to your own e-devices), including bark alarms
7) Education (i.e. don't go into the house if you arrive home and the front door is open)
8) 911 and lawyer on speed dial
9) Safe practices (locking all car doors without fail, locking all house doors all the time, having escape routes, running 'fire drills' with the whole family)
10) Getting a dog (especially if your wife is alone in the evening or at night)
11) Training as necessary.

HTH

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   

DBC, those are too awesome selections. Although I love SAO weapons, I think the Judge would be a great choice. An alternative would be the S&W Governor, which gives you an additional caliber to shoot (.45ACP, .45LC and .410). I think Taurus makes some nice handguns as well. I even purchased a Millennium G2 in 9mm several years back (for my daughter's CC class), and never expected it to last for 6 years + probably 20k cartridges fired through it

Heck with modern hollow points, .45LC is formidable in its own right. I have been wanting the judge with a 4-5" BBL for some time now. I think PDX1 and Critical defense make .45LC/.410 combo packs

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Maverick7

Great post about security assessment and vulnerability/risk mitigation Maverick

I recommend tactical training for anyone with the time/money/inclination. It isn't super expensive, and can vary from a basics course to advanced breaching/room clearing/marksmanship/etc. But like you said, layered defense is the way to go (no matter what method/tactics you choose)

Force on force exercises are also very helpful, as you can acquire blue guns that fire Simunition at various sources online. I am in the process of purchasing a Simunition Glock 17, so I can train realistically with my carry weapon
edit on 11/25/2017 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Is she set on a revolver? I love my Shield & LCP. Perfect for a woman to conceal carry.

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

A British or Dutch model?

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Why choose just one?
Buy both.

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

They cost less than most of the NFA stuff we buy
You can get one for only ~$15,000.00 whereas a RL/RDIAS/RLL runs ~$20,000.00+

I spent $20k on a small 10 cent chunk of metal (that could easily be worth hundreds of thousands in the future). That is the result of antiquated laws regarding select fire/automatic weapons. Not only does it force people to spend large amounts of money on comparatively cheap products, they aren't discouraging anyone from purchasing NFA items either. We all know they'll continue to be rare and appreciate in value into the future, since they'll remain transferable.

That is unless government overlords were to repeal the NFA.

www.gunsamerica.com...

EDIT: Just realized you were talking about the 1861 not 1851. You can get a regular production 1861 for ~$3k www.gunsamerica.com...

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Maverick7

I know it's a very bad idea. I agree with you. I was blueskying, is all.

Many, if not most, BG's are going to soil themselves at the sound. However, there are those who wouldn't. Leaving one no choice but to pull the trigger...

All those aids that you listed? Homeowners, wise ones anyway, should have some or all of those in place, anyway...with recourse to ones firearm a last resort.

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

We have a lot of measures in place as well, with (like you said) a firearm as another option.

We have a lot of these MK-IX defense technology units:
www.amazon.com...

Also got a good deal on these once, which are 1.3% major caps without CS tearing agent:
www.amazon.com...

...and I carry one of these, for a non-deadly threat (as well as OC spray on the key chain):
www.amazon.com...

For anyone that is wondering, the Defense Technology spray is totally safe to use with tasers and other ECDs. No sponetenous combustion concerns, since they don't use any alcohol in the carrier

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Backwoods gator hole in GA

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join