It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home protection

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Went to a gun store today to do a little browsing. Wanting to pick up a Navy Colt 1861 repeater (just for kicks) and can't decide whether I want a reproduction or the real thing. But I always wanted one with the holster and belt. (Like a cowboy)

But was also looking with the wife for something for her.

We narrowed it down to the Taurus Judge

Or a .38

Yes, she was looking at the pink one.

Cost isn't an issue so much, but she's afraid that that Taurus will just kill and she's not too sure about that. She just wants to make noise to scare away any intruder.

The dealer and I just looked at each other at that point.

Ultimately it's her choice, but I'd rather deal with an upset wife and a dead crook than the other way around.

Just looking for different opinions.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Is the airweight +P?

Upset wife and dead crook is much better than the opposite...

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

She just wants to make noise to scare away any intruder.

Get her a shotgun so she can make a warning noise first.

The sound of a slide racking on a gauge is its own noisy deterrent.

Tchk-Tchk

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Well, doesn't matter what you get if she won't use it. THAT'S your battle. She needs an attitude change. Neither one of those is a good option, but the Judge has a shotgun chamber, right? Ultimately it is what she can and will be willing to use, so a regimen at the shooting range would be the best investment you could make. and if that's the pink gun, well, better she shoot that one straight than drop the Judge. You really ought to get a semi-auto shotgun, but it's not a perfect world. Good luck.
edit on 11/24/2017 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
Is the airweight +P?

Yes.

Upset wife and dead crook is much better than the opposite...

My thought exactly.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Well, doesn't matter what you get if she won't use it. THAT'S your battle. She needs an attitude change. Neither one of those is a good option, but the Judge has a shotgun chamber, right? Ultimately it is what she can and will be willing to use, so a regimen at the shooting range would be the best investment you could make. and if that's the pink gun, well, better she shoot that one straight than drop the Judge. You really ought to get a semi-auto shotgun, but it's not a perfect world. Good luck.

We'll be spending time at the range, no doubt.

The Judge is a spray and pray. Dealer said with the shotgun rounds, it'd put a 30" hole in a door or anyone standing behind it.

She did initiate this by saying she wanted a firearm.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Go for the Judge Imo,with .45 Long Colts in it should recoil less than that little .38 special will.
I had the judge in the 3 inch 5 shot model that weighed 28 oz and in that gun the .45's barely had noticeable recoil.
In that behemoth the Raging Judge I would imagine shooting factory .45 LC having recoil comparable to a .22,unless you are shooting .454 or hot loaded .45 LC(like buffalo bore) recoil should be minimal,my 3 inch version was also incredibly accurate for the barrel length.

Fun guns but I enjoy my Rhino revolvers more,9mm on moon clips never gets old,I also have the option the shoot .357 magnum if I change cylinders. It also has a unique design placing the barrel closer to your hand which results in less recoil than other revolvers of the same calibers.They look really futuristic too.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

That's, I think, where I'd go, too.

That's a sound no one wants to ever have directed at them.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Get your wife this for Christmas. I'm not sure if it comes in pink though.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Unless they're really flyin' on something, a .38+P would get the job done generally.

Her mindset of just wanting to scare 'em may mitigate that though. Maybe a shotgun, with the sound that the pump will make, that will give her the intimidation...and something with more than a little authority behind it, if the warning doesn't work...

Just a thought.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I'm envious. My home protection consists of an old club from the first Boer war.
edit on 24-11-2017 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   

That .38 snub looks a lot like a Charter Arms piece I used to own (except for the pink, of course). It fit nicely into an ankle holster and was both scary-looking and effective.

My opinion is that I don't want to kill if possible to avoid it. Cops get downright persnickety and graves are hard to dig. So, even though the second I draw I have already made the decision to kill, there is a split-second the future corpse has to talk me out of it. I have actually had that happen once; the guy ran like his head was on fire and his butt was catching!

So I'm partial to revolvers, just for the fear factor.

.38 is a good round... cheap, easily obtained, not terrible to fire, and still has enough kick on the other end to mean business. Not as good as a hot-loaded .357 with crosses cut in the end of the semi-jacketed hollow points (not that I would ever use that), but still good.

Go pink. Maybe a 1" longer barrel to lessen the kick a bit... it'll still be easily concealed.

TheRedneck

ETA: Just looked again... that's a S&W. Yeah, definitely, go pink!

edit on 11/24/2017 by TheRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Unless they're really flyin' on something, a .38+P would get the job done generally.

Her mindset of just wanting to scare 'em may mitigate that though. Maybe a shotgun, with the sound that the pump will make, that will give her the intimidation...and something with more than a little authority behind it, if the warning doesn't work...

Just a thought.

Not sure I want a shotgun. I like rifles. But the bolt action doesn't have the intimidating sound of a shotgun.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
I'm envious. My home protection consists of an old club from the first Boer war.

Give it enough time, we'll all be armed with nothing but harsh language.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I definitely want her to have a revolver. The dealer even recommended it.

The ground is soft and I know a guy who has a back hoe. *innocent halo*

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   
The lady Smith is nice. Short barrel airweights are for CCW. If you want her happy on home defense and the range a longer barrel is recommended for both recoil and accuracy.

The Judge....never was my cup of tea beyond the initial wow factor when they first came out.

As for the Colt Navy, never let the focus for a particular gun distract you from a damn good gun. There was a Ruger Valero chambered in 44 mag, cherry grips and a cylinder that had the soft click of a quality safe dial...passed on it four times before it disappeared.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

The ground is soft and I know a guy who has a back hoe.

Our ground is Alabama clay and no one has anything more than a shovel around me. *grumble grumble*

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

The Judge is a monster and the shot shells will absolutely stop an intruder. Shot it a few times and loved it.

Kinda looking at the new Kimber revolvers myself....always have loved their 45's I've had.

I like shotguns for home protection as they don't penetrate as many walls and I have kids....the Judge is kinda a best of both worlds for this avenue.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Ahhh, the Valero!

(squeee)

Yeah, I've looked at them as well.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I always liked the idea of the judge. Load the first one with birdshot to get their attention.
If that doesn't change their mind, the rest are slugs/buck.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join