It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else having issues with the site being slow?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

I'll convey the message

as long as I still can send an email within 5 days without a postage stamp

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42
a reply to: face23785

techcrunch.com...

yep it was comcast. configuration error my butt . I wouldn't doubt that they are testing throttling for when net neutrality goes away. they even stated only certain sites were effected. interesting ats was one including reddit,facebook,techcrunch.

"Having issues with Comcast this morning? You’re very much not alone.

Right around 10 am Pacific, we started seeing reports from both coasts that the internet had suddenly slowed to a halt. Certain sites would load just fine, but the vast majority (from Reddit to Facebook to TechCrunch) simply timed out."

Thank you for the update. I noticed the problem went away a little while ago. I followed your Techcrunch link. Level3's statement was interesting:

On Monday, Nov. 6, our network experienced a service disruption affecting some customers with IP-based services. The disruption was caused by a configuration error. We know how important these services are to our customers. Our technicians were able to restore service within approximately 90 minutes.

WTF! This problem had been going on for the last couple of days, at least! A whole lot longer than 90 minutes.

I'd like to see more information about this "configuration error." But, I know nothing will ever come to light on this issue.

Yep. This is a trial run for the death of Net Neutrality. Something to make us think about how much more we'll be willing to pay Comcast to access our favorite websites.

-dex

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

I was having issues with pages "timing out" after composing a post and hitting "reply". Also, the visual icons just before each thread (Society Issues icon, Political Mudpit icon, etc..) would not completely load.

All worked well with Firefox, but not with Edge. Edge is my #1 browser. Fixed both Edge issues by enabling all 3rd-party cookies, and turning OFF the "page ahead prediction" feature.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Many types of malware will slow your computer.

Some of these types of malware like Coinhive Miner Trojan will cause no outward problems to clue you in to the malware being on your computer.

Also fragmented hard drives will slow your computer down.

last your provider collecting information on your browsing for advertising may slow down your computer.
you can spot this if you buy things over the internet and start getting a lot of popup add for the same type products.

using a VPN may stop this because your provider can not read through there encryption to see what you are doing on the internet.
openvpn.net...

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

Certainly those things could cause it but in this case it was none of those things.

Comcast has already owned up to it as well after being cornered anyways. They said it was a Configuration change that caused it.

Note the issue has been rectified and no longer exists. I was just updating the OP , since many of us were experiencing the issue yesterday when we observed it was comcast related.

BTW , They can also throttle your VPN.
Actually to make it easier on themselves they will throttle any site not on their APPROVED list. Most likely your vpn will not be on their approved list.

edit on 431130America/ChicagoMon, 06 Nov 2017 21:43:59 -0600000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

WTF! This problem had been going on for the last couple of days, at least! A whole lot longer than 90 minutes.

yeah I saw that as well. What a crock.

That was just likely the time frame from when they admitted they had an issue.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Still slow for me, in Canada so I'm not on Comcast.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico
Still slow for me, in Canada so I'm not on Comcast.

If it's a communications issue you should be able to run a trace route to see where your connection is breaking down.

-dex

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I had some issues with the speed when my website was on Wix. Since I switched to Wordpress (I used one of the photo wordpress themes from this resource www.templatemonster.com...), these speed promblems disappeared into thin air.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join