It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 'Urban Death Project' Wants to Turn You Into Soil

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I wouldn't know, but didn't mad cow start by beef contaminated feed for the cows? you are what you eat goes for plants too

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

And who visits the grave once those people are also gone? No one, unless you're a dead celebrity or a taphophile finds your monument interesting.

Graveyards are always an attractive venue for the contemplative stroller, and you'd be surprised how many epitaphs hit home. The one I always remember was for a long-forgotten townsman of mine - his first name was Augustus, coincidentally, although I forget the surname right now. His tombstone said simply: "An indefatigable and useful member of society." I wonder how many of us would merit that?

And tombs and mortality have been motifs in art (especially painting and poetry) since forever. Who wouldn't be tempted by the prospect of their own summing-up being read by future generations?

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: audubon

As I said, taphophile, of which category you obviously fall under.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Something like this will cause a massive amount of angry spirit hauntings.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
Something like this will cause a massive amount of angry spirit hauntings.

Why?

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   

In many countries (Europe) you get buried for a limited time, if relatives don't pay more after a while you are dug up and the plot is reused.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: darepairman
I'm certainly not recommending using animal carcases, but decayed vegetable matter is a pretty standard ingredient of farming soils and always has been. The farmers of the Cambridgeshire Fens prospered by growing crops on peat, which is decayed wood.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: silo13

I always felt the body way just a mass of meat, after you die it's just dead meat.
Grave yards are just a waste of space to me.

Speaks volumes to our connections to loved ones and the ability to let go.

IMO, graveyards are waystations for the LIVING to deal with the loss of loved ones. A personal memorial they can return to in order to cope with their loss and the inevitability of their own mortality.

Waste of space? That's like saying those that have passed were a waste of space as well.

You will not find that being the popular view on the matter.

It does say something about people's ability to let go. Some never do. I never had a problem understanding death.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: darepairman
a reply to: silo13

To be honest I keep telling the wife, that if I ever find out I am terminal, I am going to get a couple pounds of bacon drive to the woods, get naked and go looking for a bear.

I hope the bacon is for you and not the bear.

On a more serious note? I worked in health care. I heard many people with the same opinion as you 'If I'm terminal I'll take myself out!'. I don't know one that became terminal that didn't change their mind. If I were you I'd have the bacon anyway.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
In many countries (Europe) you get buried for a limited time, if relatives don't pay more after a while you are dug up and the plot is reused.

Yup. My ancestors in Italy are mostly in ossuary boxes now. While they take up less space no one goes to see them either.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: audubon

As I said, taphophile, of which category you obviously fall under.

Don't be silly.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Meh what's the big deal? Honestly throw my carcass to the coyotes. And if family wants to "visit" me they can make a plaque or something. I won't care. I will be dead. If my remains can make compost, so be it

My dad always says he wants to be cremated and thrown onto the 10 fwy in CA during rush hour bumper-to-bumper traffic because he spent so much time "commuting on the damned thing "

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: audubon
Don't be silly.

I'm not being silly at all, you said you like to stroll through cemeteries and read the inscriptions, that makes you a taphophile.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Don't be silly.

I'm not being silly at all, you said you like to stroll through cemeteries and read the inscriptions, that makes you a taphophile.

(a) No I didn't, and (b) no it wouldn't.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

(a) No I didn't...

Who said this?

Graveyards are always an attractive venue for the contemplative stroller, and you'd be surprised how many epitaphs hit home. The one I always remember was for a long-forgotten townsman of mine...

If you weren't strolling around a cemetery how did you read that inscription?

...and (b) no it wouldn't.

Explain how someone who strolls around cemeteries is not a taphophile.

A person who is interested in cemeteries...

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

[
IMO, graveyards are waystations for the LIVING to deal with the loss of loved ones. A personal memorial they can return to in order to cope with their loss and the inevitability of their own mortality.

Waste of space?

And who visits the grave once those people are also gone? No one, unless you're a dead celebrity or a taphophile finds your monument interesting.

That's not true at ALL. Come on, you haven't ANY friends or family who regularly go and visit, clean, and replace the flowers on the graves of their loved ones???

Are ALL the soldiers who are buried at Arlington less noteworthy??

I think you're being a bit callous and dismissive of the human condition as it pertains to loss and worth.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I am a taphophile. The older the cementary, the more fascinating. Yet, I have still told my family to cremate me, have a life celebration party, and then, spread my ashes back into nature. No need to have any monuments, my family is my monument. That body will no longer be me...so no need to preserve it. I will be in their memories and dna! that is all that is needed.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

That's not true at ALL. Come on, you haven't ANY friends or family who regularly go and visit, clean, and replace the flowers on the graves of their loved ones???

Are ALL the soldiers who are buried at Arlington less noteworthy??

I think you're being a bit callous and dismissive of the human condition as it pertains to loss and worth.

You're not following what I'm saying.

You die. Who visits your grave? Kids? Siblings? Friends? Sure. They die. Then who comes? Grandkids? Maybe. Second cousins? Nope. Strangers. Nope. Great-grandkids? They never met you, so most likely nope as well.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

How does being a "taphophile" make the process of loss irrelevant?

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts

I am a taphophile. The older the cementary, the more fascinating. Yet, I have still told my family to cremate me, have a life celebration party, and then, spread my ashes back into nature. No need to have any monuments, my family is my monument. That body will no longer be me...so no need to preserve it. I will be in their memories and dna! that is all that is needed.

I can completely respect that decision.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join