It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Schoolers Forced To Lay In Dark Room, Wrists Bound As 'Slavery Project'...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

If you need something like this to instill empathy you're a #ty teacher. My kids would not have been exposed to something like this. No fricken way.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
I can't decide which this is. More stupid or sick.

Stupick?

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

The original uncut Roots? The kids would leave like:

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I wonder if the black children had to do this too?

Personally I think this type of "education" is way out of the spectrum of responsible teaching. This liberal teaching agenda is one of the reasons kids are leaving schools unable to read and write properly with little or no common sense...but hey a shedload of guilt for something they didn't do and of course a ton of empathy and tears for a people that don't want them nor need them, except to further THEIR agenda

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

Well I would hope they did this to black kids too. Black kids today don't know how if felt to be a slave any more than white kids do.
Fair is fair

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Aazadan

What does the expierence solve? Slavery ended in the 1880's.

How about we get the US educational systems STEM scores above the country of Columbia's then the liberal wet dreams of showing some kids the horror of something no one alive lived through can be on the agenda.

Understanding slavery, is a good way to not repeat it, even a lighthearted reenactment of it gives a pespective that classroom discussion, books, and movies don't.

As far as STEM scores go, we're actually doing very well on that front in grade school. Go check out our PISA scores. But, even then... it's not the role of grade school to teach STEM. K-12 should not be college prep, it should teach people how to function in life.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha
I see what you're saying. I think my distaste for this exercise it rooted in it just simply being a bad teaching method. Why not have an exercise showing what would have happened if slavery never existed and the people from Africa were simply immigrants like the rest of them?

The "outrage" only makes sense because most here won't dig deeper to see how benign this actually was. My outrage is just that it's dumb, lol.

Interesting question, I can't say I've ever thought about it. My first reaction is that it would be like the Irish or the Germans and there would be a lot of casual racism against them. Probably more due to an easily identifying skin color.

But then you get to the question, was that sort of racism ok? And suddenly we're back to the issue of discrimination. The slavery discussion would still have to take place too due to indentured servitude.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Bind 13/14 year olds who have done nothing wrong? It's not punishment. From what I gleaned from the video, they're loosely tying their hands, having them lie on the ground for a few minutes and watch a clip (I imagine of the slave ship) from Roots.

In other news, I went to football practice 4-5 days a week throughout high school. Bones were broken. Blood was spilled. Punishment was running "winds" up and down the bleachers in pads in 90+ degree heat and doing grass drills.

This? This doesn't even rise to level of participating in a school-effing-play. Lmao. It's really funny seeing what gets the panties of conservative snowflakes in a bunch.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   

OK. Do this to your kids and see how long it takes for the cops to show up and bust you for abuse. Why should this be different for educators?

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Makes me wonder how they'd teach about trench warfare in WW1, Nanking in WW2 or Hiroshima?

Note to kids.... Bring your own shovel.

(and pile ointment).

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
Like the holocaust, it's something we must never forget. Forgive? Yes, but forgiveness of this magnitude can take many generations. Sorry you might not like that. It's just a simple reality.

I went to a catholic high school, but not everyone was catholic. Out of about 400 students across the 4 grades we had roughly 27 jews my senior year. For our holocaust teachings, all 27 were banned from school for the day, so we could go about living without jews to see what it was like.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   

I linked to an article last page that was about this. The reason it became publicly discussed is because a black mom brought it to everyone's attention. It was her son's class, and the discussion from the principal indicates that it is a majority white, upper middle class school. Classic suburban California, really.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
For our holocaust teachings, all 27 were banned from school for the day, so we could go about living without jews to see what it was like.

I heard it was only 12 kids.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
In other news, I went to football practice 4-5 days a week throughout high school. Bones were broken. Blood was spilled. Punishment was running "winds" up and down the bleachers in pads in 90+ degree heat and doing grass drills.

Yeah, as did I... but there was a point to it. This? Not so much.

link   
Yet another reason I'm glad we home school our youngest son.

Interestingly enough, several of our friends who are parents have also started home schooling this year.

Everyone of them have said the same thing: Feels great. No worries. Kids are doing better.

link   

originally posted by: intrepid

OK. Do this to your kids and see how long it takes for the cops to show up and bust you for abuse. Why should this be different for educators?

Sure. Remember to include the context of it being a one time event, preceded talking about the situation, followed up by discussing it. Don't forget to do it as a group, because part of the horror of slave ships inparticular was the group environment.

link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Aazadan
For our holocaust teachings, all 27 were banned from school for the day, so we could go about living without jews to see what it was like.

I heard it was only 12 kids.

And they weren't really banned.

Just sent to different school, out east.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
And they weren't really banned.

Just sent to different school, out east.

I heard the exact same rumors.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

I linked to an article last page that was about this. The reason it became publicly discussed is because a black mom brought it to everyone's attention. It was her son's class, and the discussion from the principal indicates that it is a majority white, upper middle class school. Classic suburban California, really.

Maybe there's something to it. Isn't the usual complaints that teachers just teach to the test, and that schools in good neighborhoods do much better on tests? Here's a school doing something interactive, and more than just reading from a book and everyone gets upset.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

haha You have a point Social Services would be all over any parents caught doing such a thing in the name of "education". Kids have been removed from families for far less!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join