It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Schoolers Forced To Lay In Dark Room, Wrists Bound As 'Slavery Project'...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Can you show me where it states the kids were 'forced' to lay in a dark room?

Also, according to the kid in your OP video, he says the tape is "very loose, its not tied tight" So i fail to see how their hands are 'bound'

Why the sensational headline?

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
What's the problem with this?

I'm seriously not understanding the outrage here.

Mostly because it is binding children in a school.

There are other ways to drive home the atrocities of slavery. All this teaches children is that the slaves had fun role-playing while watching a movie.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

Yeah... that's kind of messed up. We don't write numbers on kids and make them sit next to an oven while watching Schindler's List for the same reason.

College, sure... but not kids.

Even that's lopsided, though. Imagine if the class tied kids hands together, blind folded them, and forced them to kneel while a teacher with a fake scimitar yelled "Allahu Akbar" at them and swore to chop off their heads. People would be losing their everloving grasp on mental sanity over it... but why? It's simply a reenactment of actual, honest to God history, same as this... Of course we all know the real reason why, because it's profoundly idiotic to reenact these types of selectively extreme examples of human assholery in any setting, let alone an accedemic one.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

Oh the tape isn't tight. Forget it then.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

You're OK with binding 13/14 year olds who have done nothing wrong, then?
SMH
The problem with this is, frankly, you and anyone who thinks like you on this sort of topic.

I'm assuming they weren't bound as a punishment but as a put yourself in this situation type assignment.

It's pretty common in any social subject.

If the kids were genuinely 'forced' then i suspect it would have been an issue long before now.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   
If they tied my kid up trust me they would never do it again ...

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Binding anyone's hands and making them lay on the floor in a dark room and watch roots all the while the teachers are acting like slave ship captains is not what schools should be teaching.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
And nobody led a rebellion the entire decade, not once? Jeez students sure are obedient little pansies arent they? I am pretty sure I would have been suspended for a few days for some comical rebellious antics of the sort. Spitball the teacher and pretend we just stole his armaments. DIE SLAVER!!!

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
It's pretty common in any social subject.

If the kids were genuinely 'forced' then i suspect it would have been an issue long before now.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

According toCarrington, a teacher sent an email on Sept. 5 with the subject heading “Unique Learning Experience” to inform parents of an upcoming exercise that would supposedly expose students to the horrors of slavery. The lesson would involve the teachers acting as “slave ship captains” and students as slaves.

“Specifically, when class starts,” the email reads, “we will sternly tell them to line up outside the classroom, use masking tape to ‘tie’ their wrists together, make them lay on the ground inside the room (which will be dark) shoulder to shoulder with each other (boys and girls are in separate rows), and then while they lay there, have them watch a clip from ‘Roots.’”

Carrington, who is African American, told HuffPost on Thursday that upon receiving the initial email, she cycled through feelings of disbelief, denial, and finally anger. She feared that by presenting the exercise as a “unique learning experience,” the teachers were being “irresponsible at best, manipulative and dangerous at worst.”

Students, according to the email, were not going to be made aware of the lesson in order to maintain an element of “surprise.” Carrington later learned that her son already knew about it because ninth-grade students who had previously gone through it had already informed the lower grades.

"Forced" seems to be an interesting concept in any school setting. Schools are similar to prisons, in many regards. The students are conditioned to assume any teacher or administrator instruction or request somehow ties to their grades, their limited freedom, or some other measure of their performance and behavior, so these instructions are followed often without question. Reading this mother's account, I'd say it was justifiable for the students involved to assume they had no alternative but to cooperate and go along with the exercise.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   

SMH
The problem with this is, frankly, you and anyone who thinks like you on this sort of topic.

you're ok with preserving and idolize as heroes the statues of the people who wanted to keep these conditions alive and civil

erasing history and all that bullocks
edit on 19-9-2017 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

link   

This is cruel punishment, especially if the roots movie had commercials. Those kids had to lay there for 3 hours.

link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Something does not sound right with the whole thing. I find it hard to believe that some teacher didn't at the minimum get a good ass reaming and worst some hospital time. You don't touch students-and oh you shouldn't "bind" students hands and make them lay on the floor in a dark room. What the hell is wrong with people?

Thought that didn't need to be said, but I guess it does.

edit on 19-9-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Is a statue worse that binding a 8th graders hand telling them to lay on the floor in a dark room and show a movie about the cruelty of slavery?

The subjects are not equal. And there is a minority of people who idolize confed statues. It is part of our countries unfortunate past.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

That's what history lessons are for to teach about the subjects at hand not fckn tying kids up wtf who cared about the statues till those sjw idiots started bitching ...

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

That's 2 of us. Roleplay type excercises were done when I was a school (which was not yesterday).

Yeah lets not poke the race relations fire much, let kids today feel the guilt of a situation that happened hundreds of years ago that may or may not have been anything to do with their fore farther's (By that I mean white) as no doubt all the children where informed of the perps!!!.

I am happy that I did not get a experience of what my fore farther's went through with the Vikings, being of Anglo Saxon heritage as I am sure it was a fairly brutal enslavement, on that note I am still trying to find a angle to gain for their mistreatment, maybe if I can indoctrinate Scandinavia with my agenda I can get somewhere.....

RA

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

SMH

you're ok with preserving and idolize as heroes the statues of the people who wanted to keep these conditions alive and civil

erasing history and all that bullocks

Yes, yes I am. Inanimate objects commemorating history is not the same as tying a 13 year old's hands and walking them through a play acting session of a slave ship experience. As is usually the case, your perspective is sorely lacking.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

So the parents were informed in advance then.

Unless the situation was ridiculously over the top then genuinely not seeing the outrage.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Binding anyone's hands and making them lay on the floor in a dark room and watch roots all the while the teachers are acting like slave ship captains is not what schools should be teaching.

Why not? Understanding of history is more than just dates.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Lightweights.

We had an actual Slave Day at my high school where the seniors, to help raise money, would be auctioned off to the under classmen to be their literal slaves for a day. Drive them to school? Check. Carry their stuff? Check. Fetch their lunch? Check. 'Entertain' your female slave owner if requested? Double check.

Kids these days are such wimps.

edit on 19-9-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer becasue he left it in the ladies room

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Well hell, let's have the rape, torture, murder and degradation of slavery all under the watchful caring eye of a public school teacher. Lets go full boat, after all the only way to learn something is to be exposed. Right?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join