It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Trump Proclaims Sunday Sept 3rd 2017 as a National Day for Harvey-related Prayers.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
a reply to: Blaine91555

Nobody has confidence in Trumps sincerity

Its called prayer to be seen of men

Why are you dragging political trolling into this topic? Any President would have and has done the same thing.

This is about a day of prayer bringing comfort to many as a way for the rest of the country to say to the victims we are behind you. How people pray, in private or public is up to them.

Like I said, kicking puppies.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

I chose the wrong post to reply to with what I posted, and for that I apologize to you. I did not intend to make it appear like you were one of the people ridiculing folks for their faith in trying times. I only picked you because you'd actually asked the "what's the purpose of praying?" question.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
As an agnostic I would have just walked past this thread. I don't believe but seeing others dumping on this for whatever reason pisses upsets me.

I don't have a problem with the prayer.

I have a problem with those that want to stifle the free speech of those who have a problem with prayer. (Did I do that right?)

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: bknapple32
I'm curious why the prayers didn't stop the hurricane to begin with?

Everything that happens on Earth and in the cosmos is God's will. Some prayers aren't answered because they are contrary to what God has planned.

So what's gods plan when he gives a baby bone cancer?

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

Wait... isn't me telling someone they're a piece of garbage for what they said simply me exercising my right of free speech? I believe it is. All the excuses in the world trying to deflect what I said doesn't change the reality of it. I'm not saying nobody has the right to verbally be an ass to people, but it would seem that what you're looking for is no consequences of losing status in the opinions of others because of your exercising of free speech.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

As an agnostic I would have just walked past this thread. I don't believe but seeing others dumping on this for whatever reason pisses upsets me.

I have a problem with those that want to stifle the free speech of those who have a problem with prayer. (Did I do that right?)

When you need somebody you had better hope they don't share your insistence in definition.

link   
I bet if you were suddenly put in a real dire situation with death staring directly at you, most of you would drop to your knees and say a prayer.

link   

Why do you feel the need to poop on people's faith? I could easily walk by, not pound and pound for pages. Trump did something right for a change. Let's leave it at that.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

People who pray don't care if others believe or not. They have faith.

Even one person, is a weak argument and if their faith is swayed by an internet thread then they didn't have much faith to being with.

It would only be exactly the same as telling someone that is terminally ill that they are going to die if all they do is pray.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: bknapple32
I'm curious why the prayers didn't stop the hurricane to begin with?

Everything that happens on Earth and in the cosmos is God's will. Some prayers aren't answered because they are contrary to what God has planned.

So what's gods plan when he gives a baby bone cancer?

Bwahahaha. God trumped Trump for the ridicule train tonight.

link   
a reply to: carewemust

Trump probably means prayers for this dude rather than the actual storm and/or related tragedy.

Like others have pointed out these poor souls don't need prayers, they need food, water, and medicine aka actual help as apposed to good thoughts directed towards anthropomorphized absentee sky Gods.

link   

I didn't say you couldn't say it. I just said that it was not applicable to the situation at hand.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

When I need somebody I better hope they agree with my definition of free speech?

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: introvert

I chose the wrong post to reply to with what I posted, and for that I apologize to you. I did not intend to make it appear like you were one of the people ridiculing folks for their faith in trying times. I only picked you because you'd actually asked the "what's the purpose of praying?" question.

I did not take it as you were directing your comments on to me specifically. I took it as a general statement and I just wanted to make it clear to those that may not have seen my first post.

As far as the purpose of prayers, I see it's purpose as being an appeal to a higher power for emotional "support" and a potential coping mechanism in rough times.

Not trying to get all "new agey" here, but I do believe in the power of positivity and intent. In times of hardship or tragedy, I find it advantageous to remain positive and it can be contagious.

Perhaps that is the intent of prayer as well and we just happen to have different ways of expressing that positive intent.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

If that was directed at me, the answer is no.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Poop on peoples faith?

You mean people's faith in Trump?

link   

a reply to: Jonjonj

When I need somebody I better hope they agree with my definition of free speech?

No, you had better hope they don't care enough to ask.

link   
"I wish people could just put aside differences and pray with us"

No. Stop using tradegy to preach religious loyalty, it's more digusting.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   

I didn't say you couldn't say it. I just said that it was not applicable to the situation at hand.

Oh? Then why in the blue hell did you post this?

I have a problem with those that want to stifle the free speech of those who have a problem with prayer.

The excuses and deflections are getting a bit deep in here, man.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   

a reply to: intrepid

Poop on peoples faith?

You mean people's faith in Trump?

OK. This is futile. I don't think YOU believe what you're saying. Just arguing for the sake of it.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join