It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discarded Banana Peel Causes Racial Hysteria at Ole Miss

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I don't even get it. Is it because black people are often said to look like monkeys and monkeys eat bananas?

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 02:16 AM
link   
So guess should sell my banana plantation then .
Wouldnt want to offend delicate americans .

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 02:57 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Wait...what?!?!?

Bananas, now? SO, is anything NOT supposedly racist? Seriously? A banana peel in a tree, and they cancelled a retreat? What a bunch of babies!! How and when was a banana ever used in some "racist" fashion?? What a crock! These people need mental help.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 03:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: projectvxn

It was a racist act. Read the article I linked.

An article from more that two years ago, about a completely different event?? No relevance whatsoever. Might as well claim that our buying bananas in the store is somehow racist, if a black cashier rings us up. This guy tossed a peel in a tree, where no one could fall on it, and people who LATER saw it decided to be offended, because they are unstable, and emotionally the same level as spoiled toddlers.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 03:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: trollz

They won't. They'll remain jobless, live off welfare, have multiple children outside of marriage, and then claim the evil white people held them back.

Yeah, they're so silly to be offended by a banana peel because clearly there are no racists spouting racist # in the world.

Hysterical over reactions to completely nonracist things, such as a banana peel, only serve to dilute the public's support when real racist things happen. It's the Boy Who Cried Wolf, y'all!

Not, racism associating bananas with blacks (because monkeys eat bananas too), is directly intended as racist, has historical precedent. See the link I brought last page.

Before you de-cry wolf.

I personally don't think black people remind me of monkeys. Therefore if monkeys eat bananas, who cares?
I find it awfully racist when people actually link bananas to black people as it shows that they DO think/agree that black people look like monkeys.

Well again, I don't, and a banana is a fruit. You are the racist; as for the black people who happily associate themselves with monkeys...I have no idea.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: trollz

They won't. They'll remain jobless, live off welfare, have multiple children outside of marriage, and then claim the evil white people held them back.

Yeah, they're so silly to be offended by a banana peel because clearly there are no racists spouting racist # in the world.

Hysterical over reactions to completely nonracist things, such as a banana peel, only serve to dilute the public's support when real racist things happen. It's the Boy Who Cried Wolf, y'all!

Not, racism associating bananas with blacks (because monkeys eat bananas too), is directly intended as racist, has historical precedent. See the link I brought last page.

Before you de-cry wolf.

I personally don't think black people remind me of monkeys. Therefore if monkeys eat bananas, who cares?
I find it awfully racist when people actually link bananas to black people as it shows that they DO think/agree that black people look like monkeys.

Well again, I don't, and a banana is a fruit. You are the racist; as for the black people who happily associate themselves with monkeys...I have no idea.

What certain people tend to forget is that all humans, no matter what colour they may be are ALL Primates.

Warmest

Lags

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

And?

I doubt anyone here has forgotten that, but it makes no statement on racism.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Idiots. I wonder how many will be Darwin Awards.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Now I have to give props where due. I am actually shocked anyone else has seen this. A friend sent that to me maybe last year.

Well played....well played.

I wonder if we have a mutual friend or friend of a friend because I've seen it too, in an email a friend of mine sent me, lol. I don't remember when though...

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   

I dont know whats stupider. Hanging biodegradable waste in a tree in the forest or the reaction
edit on 9/1/2017 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
I don't even get it. Is it because black people are often said to look like monkeys and monkeys eat bananas?

Who knows... These people would make a million loops around the globe just to find a way to link it to racism. They're racist against their own selves just for thinking a banana relates to their skin color in the first place.

Oh, hope it's not too late for a banana pic...

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I dont know whats stupider. Hanging biodegradable waste in a tree in the forest orbthe reaction

I'm gonna go with the reaction. The peel was tossed and landed on a large branch, it wasn't even hanging. If only that banana peel knew how much attention it was getting.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I'm going to out on a limb here, and say that this is the similar to the "trash dove" and the "pepe frog", in that your belief that something is racist, does not make it so.

We are really sorry that feelings were hurt and a non issue was blown up to massive proportions for the purposes of garnering attention, but that's where the buck stops.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

Its the explanation given. "I hung it in a tree because i couldn't find a trash can". If it was hung deliberately, its kinda dumb. But i've known people who do random dumb stuff just because they revere the absurd.

Still....using a tree as a backup to a trash can....its hard to follow.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   
So if I throw a can of Busch in a tree does that mean I've offended NASCAR fans?

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Lurker1

Makes it a PBR and you'll offend hipsters

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: Lurker1

Makes it a PBR and you'll offend hipsters

I think I know where Starfleet got the Kobayashi Maru scenario.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   
In light of the recent trending of racist memes, videos, and posts, I can see why some Black people may seem a bit hypersensitive.

A brief perusal of the posts you commonly see on ATS today, show a large increase in the number of blatantly and often aggressively racist posts that go unchecked. You can find a good sampling in this thread.

Yet anything that may have even a remote chance of being slightly offensive about certain religions or even saying anything about defending traditionally accepted terms like boy or girl, and the flood gates open up on you.

But some people and groups are considered fair game.

I think ATS is becoming the gathering place for the overflow from the sites that we once shunned. It seems the agenda has changed, and they are recruiting a different kind of member base.

Yeah, like someone said in another thread. "Times, they be changing."

Not for the better it seems.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Oh God, pass me a hankie.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Fortunately, the offending banana-eating student has apologized for his insensitivity.

He should apologize for littering. That's far more offensive than the emotionally retarded sensibilities of the three who were offended.

Well a banana peel isn't real littering. It's pure biodegradable.

Plastic, paper, metals, glass, etc, are more important to worry about.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join