It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN’s Anderson Cooper’s Family Were Slave Owners – Owned Michelle Obama’s Relatives!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

originally posted by: EternalShadow

originally posted by: Grambler
Dont know that this is proof.

But even if they did, I don't care in the slightest.

I don't want him to denounce them or feel bad at all, even if that is what he would do to someone who's ancestors owned slaves (which I haven't seen him do)

I will judge him by his actions, not that of his ancestors.

I don't believe it. But like you I don't care. We ALL have relatves that we are ashamed of.

Frankly, I'm not ashamed of any of mine. Why should I feel guilty for an unchangeable past??

Folks have no true purpose so they are engaging the past because they can't come to grips with their present and future prospects.

Meh..

Not what I was saying. It was kinda a joke I guess but I get your point. We should not be ashamed of our ancestors. Neither should Cooper.

That's not the point.

The point was that using a stain on human history to benefit your agenda can backfire.

link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

... unless if it's targeted toward a specific political group. Then it's all good.

No that's not good.

The simple fact the entire aim of practical American politics is two sides trying to convince a third party one is better than the other.

The false choice fallacy.

en.wikipedia.org...

link   
I gotta ask, what sort of mentality does it take to actually research something like this?

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

I already know I have ancestors who had slaves. We all evolve and grow and slave ownership is so distant to americans now that it is just a part of the past we would all like to disavow. None the less it is there and I and I believe a vast majority of american's refuse to embrace this part of our past though we are aware, we are not responsible.

No one should pay reparations for their ancestor's crimes. No not even Anderson Cooper. He is like you and I (though I don't much like him).

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I fail to see the irony. My family owned slaves too and may very well have owned an ancestor of Michelle Obama. My great grandmother had a certificate of ownership for a family slave she inherited after her father died. We posted it on Ancestor.com.

My family have English and Dutch royalty in our tree too! Neither of those factoids affect even a tiny iota of my present life.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgarthaSeed

originally posted by: EternalShadow

originally posted by: Grambler
Dont know that this is proof.

But even if they did, I don't care in the slightest.

I don't want him to denounce them or feel bad at all, even if that is what he would do to someone who's ancestors owned slaves (which I haven't seen him do)

I will judge him by his actions, not that of his ancestors.

I don't believe it. But like you I don't care. We ALL have relatves that we are ashamed of.

Frankly, I'm not ashamed of any of mine. Why should I feel guilty for an unchangeable past??

Folks have no true purpose so they are engaging the past because they can't come to grips with their present and future prospects.

Meh..

Not what I was saying. It was kinda a joke I guess but I get your point. We should not be ashamed of our ancestors. Neither should Cooper.

That's not the point.

The point was that using a stain on human history to benefit your agenda can backfire.

Yeah. The OP was done in bad taste.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: liveandlearn

Oh yeah I agree completely. Nobody should pay reparations ever.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Colour me surprised..sad, very sad.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   

What was it you said in the thread about Breitbart's "reporting" again?

Oh, yea.

"Well this is serious."

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   

i dont know the legitimacy of this.

however the real oh sh1t moment would be if they look back further and discover that Anderson coopers family purchased the slaves from barracks family who was in the business of selling captured opposing tribesman to the whiteman.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Part of my family has been in NA since 1621, and yes we owned slaves, probably right up to civil war time, but I do have proof in the late 1600's and early 1700's. I am sure they employed more than a few indentured servants. I have never, the family not for 160+ years, I am not sure why to some of you this is an issue?

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: neo96

Really hard to find sources ?

On Commodore Vanderbilt? Yeah. That wasn't about him.

How do you think their railroad got built ?

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Anderson Cooper When you remember that Anderson Cooper is a Vanderbilt — one of the richest and oldest families in American History — it’s not surprising to hear that the Vanderbilts owned plantations as well as railroads. What is awkward? The Vanderbilts owned the plantation where Michelle Obama’s ancestor Jim Robinson was a slave.

madamenoire.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I am lucky, I have my maternal side very well documented back to 1693 and my paternal side (German) back to the 1500's, both with published works.

ETA: Sometimes too well documented
edit on 8/21/2017 by BubbaJoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure if we dig some of the right-wing ATS members backgrounds we'd find a few ancestors who owned slaves.

Will Cooper give reparations to Michelle or is she already too rich?

Why specify right wing? Couldn't you have gotten by without it? Trying to see if their is unconscious bias.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   
That's ... just ... embarrassing.

I wonder how long he knew before this news broke.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure if we dig some of the right-wing ATS members backgrounds we'd find a few ancestors who owned slaves.

You might just find a few of them whose ancestors were owned by leftwingers ancestors.
edit on b000000312017-08-21T20:50:22-05:0008America/ChicagoMon, 21 Aug 2017 20:50:22 -0500800000017 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Anderson Cooper When you remember that Anderson Cooper is a Vanderbilt — one of the richest and oldest families in American History — it’s not surprising to hear that the Vanderbilts owned plantations as well as railroads. What is awkward? The Vanderbilts owned the plantation where Michelle Obama’s ancestor Jim Robinson was a slave.

madamenoire.com...

Do you have any control over what plantations that your family owned? I am tied to the British Royal Family, and William Wallace, have had no one offer me cash.
edit on 8/21/2017 by BubbaJoe because: spelling

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   
All Anderson Cooper statues should be pulled down??!!! His family gave us "white folk" a bad name! Lol!

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

You might just find a few of them whose ancestors were owned by leftwingers ancestors.

Definitely a thing, I lean pretty far left, and know that my ancestors owned slaves.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join