It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google employee behind gender email fired

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: trollz

So you were speaking of gender roles not physical differences between the sexes.

You're talking socio-cultural factors, not biological facts.

Gotcha

Please don't bring the transexual double-speak into this thread.

Sex and Gender are the same.

The characteristics of masculinity and femininity are social/cultural constructs.

Sex and gender are not the same.

It's not double-speak; it's the dictionary definition.

ETA: Not to mention, the medical, psychological, psychiatric, sociological, etc. etc. definitions.
edit on 8-8-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

I'd say those cultural factors would contribute, yes, to some degree.
However, I also think that nature wins in the long run.

Women and men are simply different - beyond the obvious. We can fight that basic truth all we like, but it won't make much of a difference. Women will still want different things to men and vice versa - with the usual common ground that has been the same for all time.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   
No one here has argued that men and women aren't different ... that's an insipid strawman argument.

The level of logical fallacies in this thread is ludicrous.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

If hiring was done on merit, then things like affirmative action and diversity workshops wouldn't be around.

Your putting the cart before the horse here.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

So the majority of young women wish to work in the tech sector and not design clothes or be nurses, teachers or veterinarians, for instance?

That all depends. Most of the women I knew when growing up didn't want to do any of those things simply because of too many women (competition for the same job!). No to mention you have a variety of factors that come into play, men dominate fashion design, not women as most would tend to think.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

PLEASE: Always qualify such comments with 'some' or 'many' or 'most' or 'the majority of', as any study (or most people's experiences for that matter) involve statistical averages of which there are always myriad people who don't 'fit' the average.

Blanket statements are what draw unnecessary ire from those on the fence - who may agree with you if it weren't for that. Also, all they need to find is one or a few who don't fit that view and in their minds, the entire claim is 'debunked'. I find lefties in particular don't readily grasp the distinction between 'all' and 'many' or even 'all' vs 'few'.

For example, I'm fairly a typical female in that I'm not strong in maths or coding. However, I'm atypical in that I would much, much prefer to work with things than people.

pbs.twimg.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: cenpuppieI read that email and I already stated that I'm unmoved and uninterested in his closeted ideals

Which part was wrong and closeted just wondering.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join