It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AmazonFresh Worker Reveals: Amazon Illegally Keeps Workers In A Freezer

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I don't know how much I'm buying this. I worked in the freezer of a warehouse for a fairly large grocery chain in the North East picking orders, loading it all i Tom era and then loading the pallets onto the trucks. This means we were in and out of the freezer all day every time we completed and order. I have a difficult time believing these guys are simply locked into a freezer for hours on end with no way out. Otherwise, nobody would get their orders. As Hamlet said, something smells rotten in the State of Denmark.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   
...growing up, I always had jobs having to put stock away in the damn freezers and would spend some serious time in there too.

I actually enjoyed it, peace and quiet, nothing but you, icy breath and the full on blast of those fans...
edit on 18-7-2017 by Arnie123 because: Oops

link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson
a reply to: Gothmog

First can I point out the irony of you calling people complaining about staying too long in a freezer a snowflake? Second, if the employees are accurate, Amazon is breaking the law. I bet your the first one to say fry the bastard when an individual is charged with some crime, for instance an Anti-Fa protester. You're so brained washed by the corporate mentality that its humorous.

The original labor unions in this country risked their lives against the government and private police forces, like the evil Pinkertons, to fight for the rights of the working men. They were the furthest thing from snowflakes. The fact that we still have to fight these battles is absurd.

You ever stocked a coolers in a large convenience store ?
No
Done
Next

I have, at a grocery store in Chicago when I was 16. There was no time limit for the cooler, but if you went into the freezer, you had to press a button that started a timer in both the freezer and managers office. After 1 hour if you didn't leave the freezer for at least 15 minutes you got 1 warning, then 2nd time fired. You had to push the button again to stop the timer, if you didn't the manager was there in no time flat. I got a write up for going 3 minutes over 1 hour the first time I was in there alone.

link   
I live in the U.P. I worked out in the snow and cold a lot during the winter. Then you have to come home and blow snow or shovel it. I see no problem as long as you are dressed for it. Freezers are usually between negative five and zero degrees except in meat processing facilities.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

The story says the freezers can be -22 degrees. That can be very dangerous, especially when the company will not inform the worker where they will be working-allowing proper attire.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

The story says the freezers can be -22 degrees. That can be very dangerous, especially when the company will not inform the worker where they will be working-allowing proper attire.

Come on dude. How hard is it to keep your freezer gear in your car or in your locker or whatever.

Yeah it sucks but, work usually sucks. So suck it up!

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I do not know the specifics of car parking locations or transportation or lockers for storage for that matter. I do remember reading a story about security at a Amazon warehouse though, and you just don't walk in and out. And you have to be ready to work when told, I imagine there is no playing grab ass getting stuff from your car.

And at -22 degrees, that is going to be some major gear. Not just a parka and finger-less gloves.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Then file the grievances and bring the picket signs?

Better than bringing the diapers as another poster mentioned.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Correct.

The best thing they could do (40 years ago) would be to shut this mother down with a strike. But that is no longer an option, cause unions are for suckers (who like defined pay and benefits).

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   
If this story is true it's likely only a matter of time until someone gets knocked out or something and freezes to death ,I'm sure Amazon can afford the law suit.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I, for one, won't be applying to Amazon anytime soon. I have heard enough horror stories to stay away from them completely as a customer or as an employee.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

originally posted by: seasonal

Come on dude. How hard is it to keep your freezer gear in your car or in your locker or whatever.

Yeah it sucks but, work usually sucks. So suck it up!

We had lockers in the break room outside of the freezer and they had gear there for us to use. We didn't have to bring our own. And Hannaford is nowhere near the financial behemoth that Amazon is. We had everything right there, insulated overalls, Coats, gloves and hats. And even at subzero temperatures, you're moving so fast picking orders, most of us were taking gear off by our 3rd or 4th order. I was in there with a t-shirt, hat and gloves n before lunch and there wasn't some big door locking us in. Just plastic flaps over the doorways because we were running through picking with a motorized pallet Jack and bringing pallets of frozen foods out to load onto trucks. I suppose it's possible that Amazon has some crazy system that radically differs from every other warehouse I've been in but I find it highly unlikely. I'd like to see some photos or video of the freezers before I take the word of one guy on the internet because it's fashionable to slam a huge company line that.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I don't understand the deal here there is cold storage warehouses where people spend there entire shift in cold. Ice cream distribution centers are kept at -20 for example. They provide areas where employees can warm up for lunch and breaks but your in a freezer for 8 hours. I had a friend who worked for purity and he complained a lot. But he was paid very well so stayed for a long time.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I worked in a cold storage facility for 6 months back in 2006 that was -30F and it was a piece of cake. You wear a coat and when you work you actually get too hot for the coat and take it off for a few minutes. I never got cold, and telling the time was never an issue.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
I worked in a cold storage facility for 6 months back in 2006 that was -30F and it was a piece of cake. You wear a coat and when you work you actually get too hot for the coat and take it off for a few minutes. I never got cold, and telling the time was never an issue.

That's why I love the cold. With proper clothing you're perfectly comfortable, and if you get warm you can just remove layers. I used to shovel snow in shorts and a tshirt. Hot weather is hell though.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 02:52 AM
link   

blinks - how will the poor poppets survive an " outdoor job " ?????????????

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 03:57 AM
link   
They have a job. They aren't going to die.

Seen this before in the UK with a nationwide chain. Large dist. centre had freezer coldstore which was as big or bigger than football pitch. They guys were supposed to break every hour but it took so long to down tools, exit, take off cold gear, then do all the same in reverse - that it became pointless.

Plus, who wants to put their thermals on, aclimatise to -4 then leave and go sit in a 21degree staffroom for a 15 min?

There's plenty out there that will take the coldstore jobs if they are not wanted.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 05:33 AM
link   

If they are too cold they can come hang with me on the melt deck for 12 hours. Its only 130 degrees

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Sounds like whining to me. Have appropriate clothes for the temp. Gortex is awesome. Hell, I've stood waiting for a bus in weathers like that. Then again I'm Canadian.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Where's the Unions when you need 'em.

trump and the gop are anti union, ask them.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join