It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rise of young women going 'au naturel' as nearly a quarter now don't shave their underarms

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

My take on the body modification craze was that so many people were being so oppressed into having to think alike that the only real outlet for individual expression was to body modify.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma

I suspect people are always trying to break free of conventions in order to experience their freedom of individual choice. I refused to get a tatoo because everyone was doing it. I used to dye my hair unatural colors like blue or pink- until it became the popular thing to do. I let it stay silver and white when I aged, as a rebellious act against all the women my age hiding their gray hairs.
Now silver hair is popular... dammit.

i hear ya
i have about 60 tattoos. covered. got my first one at 13.
of course people had them back then but it did not seem so apparent.
i have tattoos on my hands and my throat and i see people tattooed like that all the time now.
20 years ago i rarely saw it.

i have always loved tattoos. my dad was covered and all his buds.
i didnt want to be like everyone else and now everyone(not literally) is all painted up like me.

kind of sucks.

i hear you about the hair thing too. my wife likes to dye her hair pink...she was doing it well before it was the trendy thing but now it is quite trendy

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I don't know about it being a movement, but it grows tiring. I have more places to shave than a male. I am fair, so it takes a long time to grow a fur coat, but more hair has grown on my legs over the years and more of it is black when it used to be blonde or colorless.

I also will get razor bumps no matter what razor I use (new, triple blade, single blade, infused with aloe) or no matter what oil or shaving cream. And forget about 'the field'. Too mazy razor bumps and even the cream for the ensuing irritation is useless. If I could afford it, I might try a spa for that. If I could afford it, I might even try laser removal for the underarms and legs.

The compromise I made is that I shave less. A lot less. If I am wearing a dress or a skirt out at night or to work, or a bathing suit I will shave my legs. If I am wearing a tank top with thin straps or bathing suit I will shave my underarms.

If I am going to the market, I will not shave my legs just for that if I am wearing shorts.

I have asked a couple of BFs over the last several years, both said they did not notice. That it would have to be a LOT more and start to catch up on the amount of hair they have and underarm hair would need to be a big bush or start to hang down before a protest was made. But both said, still not a deal breaker. Would rather have me with a bit of hair than not have me.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: Spider879

Wow, what the hell!?

www.cbc.ca...

Barron is part of the free bleeding movement, in which women go without tampons, pads or other fluid-barriers and let their period blood flow. The act might seem radical, considering how few people even speak openly about menstruation, but free bleeding is now receiving mainstream attention, thanks to the likes of Kiran Gandhi, the former drummer for singer M.I.A., who ran the London Marathon while free bleeding in 2015, and others.

That wouldn't be for me, as it can ruin your clothing. But, over the course of a normal period the blood loss is a few tablespoons - which is over 4-7 days. It would be healthier to go for washable pads, the ones in the store have odd chemicals, even the unscented. Or for a menstrual cup, which is sanitized between uses or each day of one's period.

Again, big companies have gone too far in one direction in order to make money. The prices of some of these products is outrageous. if that weren't enough, they want women to wear panty liners daily. Odd, don;t see those for men and they 'drip a bit after shaking off'. Women often get the 'pleasure' of throwing those boxers or briefs in the wash.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   
It's amazing what makes it to the front page of this site these days...

WHO CARES???????????????

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: HarryJoy
I think it's great and will help get us out of this sexually driven society that we have created. Thank you ladies

Right

1 Peter 3:3-4 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.

Origination of it all

Enoch
CHAPTER VIII.

1. And Azâzêl taught men to make swords, and knives, and shields, and breastplates, and made known to them the metals 〈of the earth〉 and the art of working them, and bracelets, and ornaments, and the use of antimony, and the beautifying of the eyelids, and all kinds of costly stones, and all colouring tinctures. 2. And there arose much godlessness, and they committed fornication, and they were led astray, and became corrupt in all their ways. Semjâzâ taught enchantments, and root-cuttings, Armârôs the resolving of enchantments, Barâqîjâl,

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: JinMI

That one mystifies me.

I don't even what to think about the clothing budget you would need. Or are these "free bleeders" all women with very, very light periods?

Maybe it was sparked by this having sisters, I remember an older sister coming home from school humiliated by an accident.
www.twistmagazine.com...
Or

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

WHO CARES???????????????

Good question, I met a woman whose husband died of cancer, she said he starved to death before her eyes. She has so much anger over the lost years while her husband spent his days worried about being overweight and trying to diet and being miserable al of the time. She said she wished him back even triple his size and now it makes her angry when people think their spouse not good enough.

A person needs to think if my loved one was dying would I care that they were not perfect outside? Would a little hair matter or is it about loving THEM?

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Not entirely sure why anyone should care about this. I prefer a woman to shave under her arms. To me it seems a bit masculine to have armpit hair. But in the end, it's a preference thing.

Everyone will have their own preference.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 03:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: HeliocentricFantasy
a reply to: TrueBrit

Have you considered a haircut?

Nothing wrong with long hair on men. IMO it's very masculine on them. Thinking Vikings.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 03:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

WHO CARES???????????????

It's really nothing new either, for a opposite side SJW to worry about, just when celebs do it.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I'd never date a woman that didn't shave... Armpits, legs and elsewhere! If not it's a real turn off for me. If I was dating a girl and she decided to change her mind and not shave I would leave her...

So yup, not for me!

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

i'm a fan of a landing strip myself...oops I forgot we were talking about armpits.

I couldn't care less, i'm so hairy I could be mistaken for bigfoot but it's natural. If males can have hairy armpits then why can't women? It's silly. Should women who snort when they laugh be undesirable? not in my eyes because i find it adorable, and should a woman with freckles be any less desirable? hell no.

Different strokes for different folks. If I had a choice between Kim Kardashian or a freckled red head that snorts when she laughs and doesn't shave her armpits i'd choose the latter.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

I get the desire to not feel humiliated by a normal function, but at the same time, I don't think the proper reaction is to stop being sanitary about it either.

Imagine trying to go out in public if no one ever tried to keep their monthly bleeding cleaned up. Imagine working at a place with lots of chairs like a restaurant and having to clean up after a free bleeder.

Personally, I think it's just making a scene to try to make a point. It's going too far the other way.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Since we got off on the bleeding tangent, I'll tell you those French woman were discussing with me how American women seem to be the only women in the world to "make such a big deal" out of their periods. We get headaches and cramps, and PMS, and they don't.

I was then asked if I used sanitary products, which I said "of course". They looked at each other practically rolling their eyes, and one of them said they have never seen such an array of products in the stores for women, as here. Panty liners, large pads, small pads, tampons, cups, little pills for bloating, and such. Again, this was done with a superior attitude.

I was like "YOU DON"T?" What do you do?

They said "we just use available objects". I didn't ask. But the next day I told my gf's about it, and we made fun of them for years. Especially since they had copped such an attitude with me.

Such as, In a restaurant, you take your napkin to the bathroom, then tell the waitress you didn't get one.

But my favorite "Excuse me sir, are you finished with that newspaper?

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   

a reply to: JinMI

That one mystifies me.

I don't even what to think about the clothing budget you would need. Or are these "free bleeders" all women with very, very light periods?

Agreed, that ones weird and pretty gross, because you are talking about bodily fluids leaking everywhere with nothing to collect and dispose of them. Menstrual blood is a waste product. One does not have to be ashamed of menstruation to want to keep one's self clean during the period. It's about comfort and health. Bodily fluids on skin irritate and create rashes when not washed off. Even tribal women in very primitive societies that otherwise celebrate menstruation still wash themselves with water and use dried leaves or clay pots to catch the flow.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   

a reply to: SeaWorthy

I get the desire to not feel humiliated by a normal function, but at the same time, I don't think the proper reaction is to stop being sanitary about it either.

Imagine trying to go out in public if no one ever tried to keep their monthly bleeding cleaned up. Imagine working at a place with lots of chairs like a restaurant and having to clean up after a free bleeder.

Personally, I think it's just making a scene to try to make a point. It's going too far the other way.

I agree whole heartedly.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Do what you want. There isnt an actual rule that women shouldnt have hair.

There isnt a rule that an unkept person deserves positive attention either.

I dont shave my hairy body much anymore. I dont expect smiles and good treatment from strangers when I smell and look ugly.

edit on 5 21 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   
The "free bleeding" movement is miniscule and done to highlight the issue. In the West, where access to sanitary products is no problem, women just go through life with the inconvenience of the monthly cycle - and sometimes it can be really inconvenient and difficult. In the developing world it is a different matter and an excuse for the side-lining of women in some cultures.

Come on guys, get over it. Get over the fact that some women just get on with life. If the guys are too shallow to cope with the fact that women have hair (shock, horror) then whose problem is that?

My wife rarely wears make-up. She looks good. Her choice. Why waste your life trying to fulfil the expectations of shallow men, that's what she says. It's her brains that have calved out a successful career in a man's profession, not make-up, or the razor blade, or a short skirt. Brains.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   
(lol) Ugly girls finding new ways to get attention. God bless them.

If this is true then it's good, it'll quickly show men the ones to avoid.

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join