It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit School to Hold ‘Muslim Girls Only’ Prom

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Of course, just muslim girls.

Yes? Do you have a point?

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Yes, that it is not necessary.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

So? They can't experience prom? I would have supported a prom for Christian kids, keeping them safe due to ultra Conservative Christian Fundamentlist parents. (Yes they exist).

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Liberal women used to get steamed when the door was held open for them. So it is a huge change for them to be open to this segregation.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Liberal women used to get steamed when the door was held open for them. So it is a huge change for them to be open to this segregation.

Ok?

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
FWIW, the article is a bit wrong.
It is NOT a Detroit school.

Hamtramck is a separate city, a landlocked suburb of Detroit.
It has a large ethnic community....Polish and Albanian among others.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

They absolutely can. However, this shouldn't even have to be an issue. Even with respect to hardcore christian families.

Prom is an American custom and in my opinion, a milestone. Nobbody should have an, "all only" tyoe deal.

I'll extend the olive branch and say, at the very least, this is a much better opportunity, but they deserve better.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Oh I agree. I hate the fact that those poor girls can't have a normal life, especially NORMAL PROM!!! I don't support it but I think it's the best solution because you know what would happen.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Should this school be allowed to push religion in this instance and not others?

I'm having a barbeque for Hindu elves from the upper kingdoms

who cares

“intended to create a safe space for Muslim girls who normally cover up in hijab to let their hair down in an environment with no boys and no cellphones.”

good on em

Vampires Aliens and Wizards get their own space where no one can see them
why shouldn't they ?

edit on 12-5-2017 by kibric because: malfuction

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Americans Freedoms guarantee by the constitution doesn't apply to the subculture generationspecially foreign immigrants.

It seems that while people come to the US because they seek our freedoms it only apply to certain sectors of their believes, when it comes to religion the constitution doesn't include freedoms for all.

Way to go America is a bright future for those that are under religious tyranny.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

It is still a public school.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   

a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

This is a school getting involved in a religion. This has no place in school and it is horrible and should be against the law (practicing being liberal).

Although you are right the school should not be involved in a religion.

THe girls have a right to have fun too not because of their religion but because they are young and it is a right of passage.

Its not the girls fault being born into a religion that works backwards, the school is trying to accommodate the girls and I have no issue with that.

As far as I am concerned they should not be wearing the hijab and have to be excluded in the first place, however sadly for them this is what happens.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

So? They can't experience prom? I would have supported a prom for Christian kids, keeping them safe due to ultra Conservative Christian Fundamentlist parents. (Yes they exist).

What they are going to experience is not prom.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   

What they are going to experience is not prom.

Neither will they wearing hijab.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

So basically, we can accommodate the Islamic religion by creating a harem-like, female-only space where they can gather and not have to observe the typical modesty rules.

You do understand you aren't granting them freedom? You are simply walling off a space like their religion demands where they can gather and have a celebration. Girls schools in Muslim countries are set up like this. There are no men allowed and no photo or video allowed inside so the girls can uncover their heads and "dress down." However, you can also find stories of what happens if there is an emergency like a fire at such places: firefighters and religious police are liable to force the girls to burn to death rather than allow their modesty to be compromised.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Sorry, these girls have no right to have fun.

The schools should keep their noses out of the business of honoring "religious laws".

This is not prom. This is a bunch of girls getting together and listening to music.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Who are not granting them freedom??? The only people not granting them their freedom are the parents!!!!!!!

[Edit] It's pretty ironic because most people here don't seem to want to "grant them their freedom" to have fun.
edit on 5/12/2017 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Who are not granting them freedom??? The only people not granting them their freedom are the parents!!!!!!!

Do you understand the concept of honor killing?

If these girls Westernize too far, they are liable to be beaten, mutilated, or even murdered by their father or brothers or other male relatives for tarnishing the family honor. And don't say that doesn't happen here. It can and does.

But hey, that's what you get when you refuse to push assimilation and import people who have no intention of becoming Americanized.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   

I completely understand. Now do you understand why they allow them a safe space to have fun? Your whole post just proved that point.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   

It's also pretty ironic that you read what I wrote and still can't seem to understand that no one is granting them anything. Instead, you are doing exactly what the strictures of their religion demands.

There is no freedom here no matter what you might think. Sure they get a safe place to have prom, but it's really just another form of harem.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join