It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ASIMIL8: Too Offensive.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Good Christ, I'm a devout Trekkie, and I read it as an Cultural Assimilation Era reference before a Trek one here. And I'm not even Canadian, just pay friggin' attention to my northern neighbors. I have to agree with the Canadians who've already pointed it out -- how the F does ASSIMIL8 go over a Canadian's head given the regional & historical context here?? It'd be equally dense for me to slap MASSA on my plate, drive around the Deep South and try to say "It's not racist, I just love this company's stuff!"

Because it's quite obscene to suggest that certain groups of people will catch on fire at the sight of a word. In fact, I would argue that it is racist.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Refuse to surrender the plate. There is nothing offensive about it. anyone who takes offense should go complain to Gene Roddenberry.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

originally posted by: Nyiah
Good Christ, I'm a devout Trekkie, and I read it as an Cultural Assimilation Era reference before a Trek one here. And I'm not even Canadian, just pay friggin' attention to my northern neighbors. I have to agree with the Canadians who've already pointed it out -- how the F does ASSIMIL8 go over a Canadian's head given the regional & historical context here?? It'd be equally dense for me to slap MASSA on my plate, drive around the Deep South and try to say "It's not racist, I just love this company's stuff!"

Because it's quite obscene to suggest that certain groups of people will catch on fire at the sight of a word. In fact, I would argue that it is racist.

Oh, you so funny!

It's actually kind of entertaining seeing the usual suspects reading the header, and collectively bleating "Censorship! Free speech! Herpidy-derp!" without having a single clue as to what they're talking about.

The simple facts are that a federal civil servant is driving around town displaying a piece of provincial government property that bears a message that is considered incendiary to a large group of our population. In fact, on the face of it, it touts what is being regarded as a national shame...one that we Canadians are actively seeking to set right National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation.

Let's factor in that the Manitoba government is currently dealing with a PR disaster regarding its FN community Manitoba 'the most racist provincial government in Canada', and its cities aren't looking too good either Welcome to Winnipeg: Where Canada’s racism problem is at its worst

So, complaints arrive at the desk of provincial bureaucrat Grade F, who kicks it upstairs to the office of provincial bureaucrat Grade E. "Jeez-Louise! Just pull the plate" says the boss.
"But it's a Star Trek thing...every Trekkie knows that...it's nuanced!" says the underling, in defence of free speech and the rights of Trekkies everywhere.
"Were you dropped on your head?" says senior-guy. "# nuance, it's government property and it is making us look like arseholes! Make it so!"
"HIja' bobaghlu'" mutters Grade F.

Buddy doesn't own the plate. It's pissing a lot of people off. The owner wants it back. Sorry about Buddy's luck, and that of the on-line Keyboard Kommandos (whose feelings are also hurt).

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

This may be one of the most ridiculous stories I have heard lately.

Why stop at a license plate, why not strike the word from language altogether. What happens if they are reading a book and that word comes up? Do they suddenly curl into the fetal position and cry?

I swear the world has gone full retard.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: richapau

Refuse to surrender the plate.

...and get busted for driving without a tag. Smart plan!

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Should I be surprised that somebody who is comfortable tossing around the word 'retard' doesn't get it?
edit on 30-4-2017 by JohnnyCanuck because: indeed!

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

I'm glad you get a kick out of it, but in a country where you can get taken to court for telling a joke, I wager your sense of humour is lacking.

The man's plate has nothing to do with the First Nation people's of Manitoba, nothing to do with the treatment of First Nations by Canada, and nothing to do with racism, and everything to do with censorship. If your best argument is government public relations, then what else should the government have the power to sweep under the rug at its own whim and fancy? Perhaps criticism? Maybe dissenting views?

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I'm glad you get a kick out of it, but in a country where you can get taken to court for telling a joke, I wager your sense of humour is lacking.

The man's plate has nothing to do with the First Nation people's of Manitoba, nothing to do with the treatment of First Nations by Canada, and nothing to do with racism, and everything to do with censorship. If your best argument is government public relations, then what else should the government have the power to sweep under the rug at its own whim and fancy? Perhaps criticism? Maybe dissenting views?

From the original article: "Licence plates are property of the Crown" ergo, they call the shots. Like I said...if it were a bumpersticker, that would be different.
Sorry if that hurts your feelings.
Have a Timbit.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

From the original article: "Licence plates are property of the Crown" ergo, they call the shots. Like I said...if it were a bumpersticker, that would be different.
Have a Timbit.

Yes, and the crown engages in censorship, even despite their so-called charter of rights and freedoms. Sorry if you enjoy that sort of thing.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Have a Timbit.

Yes, and the crown engages in censorship, even despite their so-called charter of rights and freedoms. Sorry if you enjoy that sort of thing.

Perhaps you'd like to familiarise yourself with the context of this discussion. It's a little more demanding than merely issuing glib rejoinders, but it might make you a little less of a knee-jerk...what?...misanthrope?
Reconciliati on, treaties and Indigenous history in Canada: A reading list

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I understand the history. This issue has nothing to do with it.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Then you don't understand either the history or the issue so we have nothing more to say to each other.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Then you don't understand either the history or the issue so we have nothing more to say to each other.

You've conflated a Star Trek idiom with an attack on indigenous peoples, and used your misapprehension to excuse censorship and to display your moral virtue.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Should I be surprised that somebody who is comfortable tossing around the word 'retard' doesn't get it?

Get what? The fact someone was offended by a license plate with absolutely nothing offensive on it?

Should I be surprised that somebody doesn't understand that the word retard is not being used in context of a handicapped person?? Similar to the license plate story....

The amount of wussification that has happened worldwide is simply insane. Should I be offended the only options to view ATS in are black and white?

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   

You've conflated a Star Trek idiom with an attack on indigenous peoples, and used your misapprehension to excuse censorship and to display your moral virtue.

I have conflated? Surely you read the OP. I'm just providing knowledgeable context.
See...that's why we can't have nice talks. Bu-bye!

Should I be surprised that somebody doesn't understand that the word retard is not being used in context of a handicapped person??

Sure.
Nice try. Words have weight. You can't figure that out...not my problem, eh?
edit on 30-4-2017 by JohnnyCanuck because: indeed!

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   

I have conflated? Surely you read the OP. I'm just providing knowledgeable context.

Should I be surprised that somebody doesn't understand that the word retard is not being used in context of a handicapped person??

Sure.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with your failed attempts at insult. Good riddance.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Sure.

Funny...i see imbecile, idiot and moron thrown around on ATS a lot, the occasional cretin as well. All are actual medical terms.

Now I could see it causing some hurt if I kept calling you retarded over and over, but to describe a situation as such and have someone take offense is just plain silly.

Overly sensitive really. Being able to apply the word to the context in which it is used apparently needs to be taught in schools.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   
So. many. levels. of. irony ...

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
GEEZE.
If I had the cash, I want to get KLINGON.
THEY would ARREST me or not let it into Canada!

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join