It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ASIMIL8: Too Offensive.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

No, I'm in favour of people thinking that they are not the only people in the world and other people may think in a different way.

Yeah it may offend the Romulans.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

seeing as how you can't do your own thing and be left alone, sounds like Manitoba is fated to be a region of problems. he stepped to close to someone's imaginary line and he's a bad guy. but I'd be willing to bet that if he said, "I never gave the indigenous people a thought when I chose it.", he'd be labelled a racist for failing to acknowledge and sympathize with their plight.
why do you keep putting forth that he probably knew what buttons he was pushing? if the first thought that pops into your head when seeing a quote from a science fiction show is that he's probably racist on some level, the problem is definitely yours.

to note: Roddenberry created star trek in hopes that it would foster a sense of tolerance and understanding between people and their cultures.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: PolyCottonBlend
Roddenberry created star trek in hopes that it would foster a sense of tolerance and understanding between people and their cultures.

Yes, thanks for pointing out the irony.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Oh whaa my culture is so weak that # not even related to it offends me.

Maybe some cultures are meant to die, I mean it's not like every retard animal from the past is with us today, why humans get a special spot?

Level up mother#ers

We are not talking about nature taking its course. We are talking stealing children and killing people, based on their ethnicity.

The school system was created for the purpose of removing children from the influence of their own culture and assimilating them into the dominant Canadian culture. Over the course of the system's existence, approximately 30% of native children, or roughly 150,000, were placed in residential schools nationally. At least 6,000 of these students are estimated to have died while in attendance.[3]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech

originally posted by: ArMaP

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck
By the looks of things, the plate owner is a Trekker, but I'd say it's pretty likely that he knew he was pushing other buttons as well. And that would make him an arse.

Did you see the man's name?

Nick Troller.

Now, more seriously, I think that both sides are right: the licence plate owner because it was a reference to a specific situation, the people that complained because not everyone is a Star Trek fan (I'm not) and when someone chooses a personalized licence plate they should remember that they are showing it in public, so they should think about other people and not just about themselves.

Really ?

So you're in favour of censorship then ?

What about clothes ? Are they fair game too, what happens if I think your clothing offends me, you agree you should be banned from wearing it in public and you should think about other people ?

Utter stupidity

I suppose it is the same reason you could not say Iheartburnedjew or something, really you see no need for some form of public lines on clear cases of stepping on a feelings? It is a large case not about one person. Would your lic be that important to you?
Read some cases and issues before you decide.

Caribou said Catholic missionaries physically and sexually abused her until 1979 at the Guy Hill institution, in the east of the province of Manitoba. She said she was called a “dog”, was forced to eat rotten vegetables and was forbidden to speak her native language of Cree.

“I vowed to myself that if I ever get out alive of that horrible place, I would speak up and fight for our rights”, she said.

www.theguardian.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   
LOL

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

The notion that a culture that lived through the worst of colonialism needs to be protected from offensive words is a little ironic.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

I would write back to the goverment and say if they want it they can come and take it by force.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

The notion that a culture that lived through the worst of colonialism needs to be protected from offensive words is a little ironic.

The whole subject is new in the sense the apologies the reparations are happening and dividing right now.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

The whole subject is new in the sense the apologies the reparations are happening and dividing right now.

Well, we're talking about a liscence plate that has nothing to do with any of those issues.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Sorry but how is what happened anything to do with a effing license plate ?

I might not agree with someone wearing Iheartbunedjew or even a swastika on their clothes, but I would be in favour of allowing them to have whatever they want on their clothes and say whatever they want

All censorship does is sweep problems under the rug, it in no way addresses the problems.

There's many people who are racist, nazi's, insert whatever you like, all censorship does is hide them from public view.

As for reparations and apologies etc, it's a load of bollocks, people who were never affected by the actions being apologised to by people who never committed the actions, it's beyond stupid because we never learn from the mistakes and forcing blame onto future generations is never going to work

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech
As for reparations and apologies etc, it's a load of bollocks, people who were never affected by the actions being apologised to by people who never committed the actions, it's beyond stupid because we never learn from the mistakes and forcing blame onto future generations is never going to work

If you feel that strongly about the subject, you should make an effort to learn what you're talking about. The residential schools lasted on into the 1980's and the effects are very apparent today, and will be for a long time to come. As an archaeologist in a region surrounded with FN communities, I have the luxury of not talking through me arse. Unlike some in this thread.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Here are the final moments of the complainant as they lay dying of the massive offense.

It's heart wrenching to watch.

In all of this, why has nobody considered the car's feelings? I mean jeez, it's been stripped of it's identity.
edit on 30-4-2017 by Bobaganoosh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I believe in free speech. Offensive speech, hate speech, all of it is OK in my book, even if I don't agree with it. I think liberals spew as much hate and offensive speech as anyone towards conservatives, and you know what, I will defend their right to do so, no matter how dumb I think they are.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Good Christ, I'm a devout Trekkie, and I read it as an Cultural Assimilation Era reference before a Trek one here. And I'm not even Canadian, just pay friggin' attention to my northern neighbors. I have to agree with the Canadians who've already pointed it out -- how the F does ASSIMIL8 go over a Canadian's head given the regional & historical context here?? It'd be equally dense for me to slap MASSA on my plate, drive around the Deep South and try to say "It's not racist, I just love this company's stuff!"

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 03:37 AM
link   

I'm a 62 yr old woman and the biggest TNG fan you will ever find-so is my son and daughter. Women love Jean Luc-and yes, embarrassingly, been to conventions.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 03:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Justso

30 years your junior, have a Picard action figure, working comm badge, wear Pon Farr perfume, and buy my husband Red Shirt cologne. He loves it, it's a Christmas tradition, lol. And yes, they're real products. Sadly, we've yet to hit up a convention yet.
edit on 4/30/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Hi Macenroe!
I am a Canadian female Trekkie living in Ontario. The first and only impression that I got from seeing the license plate was "Star Trek" reference.

To be honest, I have not heard the word assimilate used regarding First Nation issues around here and didn't understand the implications. We are surrounded by reserves and a lot of people go there to buy cheap cigarettes. I do try to keep up on local news but still didn't recognize that term.
A lot of us are horrified by the way these people are treated, and the government seems to care very little (not at all) about improving their quality of life.

Back to the license plate. I have a "Sex in the City" key fob but I'm not promoting "sex in a city". Why isn't somebody complaining about Nike's motto "Just Do It"? I mean, everybody knows what "it" is right? Are they telling the public to "just do it" without considering the consequences? How careless and immoral is that, eh? (end of sarcasm)

Unless the plate owner is known for belonging to a certain affiliation, or has a history of supporting negative/racist activities towards a certain group of people...I would think he was just a Star Trek fan buying swag (promotional items).
As a Spock fan, my plate would likely say "Logical" but no doubt that would offend somebody too.
jacy

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Very good points!
And yes, marketing does it all the time.

I wouldnt be surprised if pretty soon all the words deemed "Offensive" will be removed from the Dictionary in order to prevent someones feelings from inadvertently getting hurt while looking up a word.

I bet if the people who complained about his license plate, just asked the guy what his plate was in reference to,
they would laugh it off.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
a reply to: jacygirl

I bet if the people who complained about his license plate, just asked the guy what his plate was in reference to,
they would laugh it off.

Before reading further, my first thought was "Ahh, must be Star Wars fans" haha...

I am the last person to ever say anything that would be a racial slur and I call people out on it if they do it around me. But die-hard fans will buy anything Star Trek so a customized plate doesn't seem all that odd to me.

However, I did search the word "assimilate" and randomly found a "Meaning in Hindi" page that offered this definition:

"6.the state of being assimilated; people of different backgrounds come to see themselves as part of a larger national family"

How sad that this was at one time the Canadian Dream and has instead become a living nightmare for so many.
jacy
edit on 30-4-2017 by jacygirl because: spelling

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join