It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

29 people shot in less than 18 hours in Chicago

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

It's sad but this goes on all the time. I have no idea how to fix it. How many more laws and how much more money is to be thrown at it?

Maybe it's beyond fixing. Maybe the crime and poverty has hit a critical mass from which there is no return. Or at least no return without an effort of biblical proportions.

Maybe this is just what it looks like when you add up all those variables. IDK

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Take the guns and the people who want to hurt each other will still find a way

They will try, but there will be less deaths, which would be much better.

Gun fanatics promised this would end after they got rid of gun control in Chicago. Of course they were wrong, but still none of them have admitted it.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

Take the guns and the people who want to hurt each other will still find a way

They will try, but there will be less deaths, which would be much better.

Gun fanatics promised this would end after they got rid of gun control in Chicago. Of course they were wrong, but still none of them have admitted it.

There isn't a single gun store in Chicago. Guns were pretty much banned in Chicago and it didn't stop any violence. 99.99% of gun violence is perpetrated by those with ILLEGAL firearms. Something like 80% of gun violence victims in Chicago are known gang members.

Gun control only affects law abiding citizens and has zero impact on those who are actually doing the killing.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
Would you care to expand on that point?

If you sterilize someone, then presumably it's so that their economic situation improves because they're not being weighed down by children. But then if you go down that line of thinking, then you're also saying that there's a point where someone who does have children could also be helped.

On the other hand, if you're trying to sterilize them, just so that the poor don't breed but with the intention that they remain poor. Then you're saying that any amount of money won't help the situation, in which case... what's the point of sterilization in the first place?

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

In addition, some of the higher crime areas are several square blocks of single-family homes with nice yards and families that work real jobs. During the day, you'd never suspect that people are shot in that neighborhood every night. But stand outside after the sun goes down, and you can hear gunfire every 10 minutes or so. It's crazy.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Gun control only affects law abiding citizens and has zero impact on those who are actually doing the killing.

Gun control can work, but it also requires effective border control. In the US we don't really have border checkpoints between states, and definitely not when entering and leaving a city. Therefore, you can ban selling/owning guns in a city, but the barrier to entry on going somewhere else to get them is low.

If it were implemented as a national policy, things would be different because border control could greatly limit the supply of new guns into the country, and eventually prices would rise, and start pricing guns out of peoples hands. Given the number of firearms in the US though, I think that such a plan is a 50-75 year commitment and we're never going to have the political will for that.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: EdumakatedIt is probably because you lose an income more than anything and it keeps the family impoverished.

If it's mainly a question of income, then couldn't child care subsidies or addressing income stagnation also fix the issue?

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Easter Weekend Total:

""Two men were killed and at least 43 other people were wounded in shootings across Chicago over the Easter holiday weekend.""

Source: abc7chicago.com...

I'll be watching the local news tonight, but last night there was no mention of the (at that time) 29 shootings that had occurred through Easter Sunday morning.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan
I see. I was thinking more along the lines of one child and no more, for those that do not have the means to support and raise a child if they wish to continue to receive benefits, and it need not necessarily be irreversible. But your point is a thought provoking one.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   
As expected, the records of 43 Easter weekend shootings, and eclipsing 900 shootings so early in the year, wasn't anywhere near the top of the Chicago TV news tonight.

The statistics were announced 9 minutes into the newscast, and received less than 1 minute of attention.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
As expected, the records of 43 Easter weekend shootings, and eclipsing 900 shootings so early in the year, wasn't anywhere near the top of the Chicago TV news tonight.

The statistics were announced 9 minutes into the newscast, and received less than 1 minute of attention.

Figures.

That's Channel 9 for ya.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Most of the homicides are gang related.

Most of the gang related deaths are attributed to MS-13.

Find a way to deal with MS-13. Perhaps something like reinforce local efforts with the FBI. Isn't this what RICO was made for, organized crime?

Aside from that, deal with the gang and economic issue of the area.
edit on 17-4-2017 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Gun fanatics promised this would end after they got rid of gun control in Chicago.

Your ignorance of gun laws is astounding. No one " got rid of gun control". They passed a concealed carry law, and trust me, I had to jump through even more hoops than the average gun buyer to get one. What the anti gun nuts said [ and I'll bet secretly wanted ] was that it would turn into the Old West, with people shooting each other every day, over the slightest thing.
Surprise!! We didn't. But, in Chicago, that great Democratic cesspool, it's still business as usual.
edit on 18-4-2017 by DAVID64 because: It's early, I've only had one cup of coffee and I made a mistake..ok?

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: ABNARTY

Kinda like ISIS. If we can't defeat gangs then ISIS is hopeless. Pull out of ME now and save ourselves.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I defineitely agree with a lot of poster on here that a lot of the crime can be chalked up to lots of children being raised in single parent homes in poverty etc...

But what I don't understand is how is Chicago any different in regards to this compared to other major cities in the US that have half the crime rates?

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Hope the animals kill themselves

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: carewemust

Figures.

That's Channel 9 for ya.

It was local channel 32.. WFLD. Channel 9 (WGN) didn't mention the statistics at all. WGN is a nationwide "super station" that seems to be somewhat controlled by the City of Chicago...Mayor Emanuel.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: freedom7

But what I don't understand is how is Chicago any different in regards to this compared to other major cities in the US that have half the crime rates?

In other cities, police arrest the gang-bangers and put them in jail.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

True.

What's the reason so many evade jail in Chicago than?

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   

The kind of people committing these gun crimes need to be treated like what they are:

homegrown domestic terrorists.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join