It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop using the word "Caucasian" to mean white

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

I never said everyone will fit the box :p

Identification via history, many in the new world nations do trace their history to northern Europe or the Iberian.

It's fair to say not all white people are of germanic or anglo-saxon decent but again a damn good portion are.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: JesusXst

I'm proud of my heritage too, nothing is taking the Anglo out of me

I'm in agreement with you, my history is a defining characteristic of me and one I fully accept.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

And that's where Caucasian works, it's a catch all for all groups of people with an European ancestry.

It's not ideal, I agree, but it is what it is.

I have Anglo lineage, but I would refer to myself as Australian

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:40 AM
link   
To label a person white or black is sheer stupidity in the literal context.

No one is white or black. Both descriptive words are used to simplify a history and culture of people. It's divisive, promotes exceptionalism, destroys individualism, and assumes that certain people who look alike share the same mentality, values, morals and most troubling, social and political views.

"White" and "Black" labeling has reduced people to being nothing more than acceptable "gang members".

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Anglo Norman here I feast on the flesh of the evil saxons Mahahahaha.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I object to being referred to as anything other than human, or metalhead. I am not defined by the parameters of my skin tone.

Then you need to get rid of your "truebrit" handle

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:48 AM
link   

I respect you 1000% for saying that!

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

lol good call i hadn't thought of that one!

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: TheKnightofDoom

lol you guys are totally making me laugh!

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:50 AM
link   
It is a very ambiguous term.
For a long time, "Caucasian" or "Caucasoid" was used to cover the intermediate stage between "black" and "yellow" ethnic groups.

I have in front of me a Readers' Digest world atlas which we acquired before 1970. It has a map of "The indigenous races of the world"; Africa south of the Sahara is coloured as "Negroid", most of Asia is coloured as "Mongoloid", and "Caucasoid" fills the intervening territory stretching from the British Isles through Russia and Iran and into India. In other words, the territory occupied by the Indo-Aryan and Semitic language families. "Caucasoid" presumably because the area north of the Caucasus was the centre, and possibly the origin of at least the Indo-European language family.

The problem is that in modern racial politics many of the groups in that area like to regard themselves, or will be regarded, as "non-white". Probably Indians and Arabs (which will not prevent them distinguishing themselves from Negroes). I remember reading in the newspapers that a British association of black police officers was headed by an officer of Iranian origin. The line in West Side Story- "Things are all right in America; If you're a white in America"- isn't that sung by Hispanics, Puerto Rican characters? Evidently that kind of attitude has resulted in "Caucasian" becoming a synonym for "Anglo-Saxon", which is far from the original meaning.

So "caucasian" has become a confusing word, because the meaning keeps changing. That makes it an unreliable word to use.

edit on 31-10-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I'm okay with 'Caucasian', but it's superfluous. You're just saying the same thing twice, 'white Caucasian'.

There are no black or brown Caucasians as far as I'm aware.

Why not just ditch the term 'Caucasian' and just use 'white'?

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:52 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001

But Captain Cook wasn't a slave or aboriginal. Seeing I'm Australian as well, you know what...I really miss being called a wog.
Something I am now proud of that separates me from other Aussies - I take pride in my heritage.

As to Caucasian...I think the last time that ever came up was in the old Census forms. No big deal.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: bally001
a reply to: JesusXst

You got it there mate...

My kind regards,

Bally

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jahari
Evolution and the big bang are theories also. Black history revisionist? Not to sure where your going with this. Im sure you know that African languages, religions, cultures and history was taken. In my honest opinion you sound pretty insecure in who you are. As for the hair and eyes i will leave that alone because i know the point you wanted to make. Pretty ridiculous but yea.

The big bang theory serously? even hawking doesnt believe that theory anymore and he came up with it so I wouldnt hold it out as a beacon of truth but i get what your saying.
Also you know exactually where i was heading with the black history revisionist thats why you made it a point to try and attack me as being insecure like these black history revisionist people don't exist or fit into your narrative of implied racism.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Ha,,get where I'm coming from mate. I still get a laugh when I recall spinning this yarn to racists. They are so dumb to believe it. Lesson to them.

kind regards,

bally

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley
I'm okay with 'Caucasian', but it's superfluous. You're just saying the same thing twice, 'white Caucasian'.

There are no black or brown Caucasians as far as I'm aware.

Why not just ditch the term 'Caucasian' and just use 'white'?

Yeah but if your clearly not Caucasian and people keep on calling you one, it's like you're appeasing them by saying nothing and accepting it.

I can't do that, due to the fact that i'm an anti snowflake and won't bend over for anyone.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: digital01anarchy

He didn't come up with it at all Georges Lemaître did a priest.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Anglo Saxon is a sub-race of white; it doesn't encompass all Europeans.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 05:12 AM
link   

It is a funny fact that in Russia term caucasian specifies not white enough like Russian. Someone from the original Caucasian mountains? it refers to Chechens, Georgians, and other small minorities.

So, if you are looking white European and being asked about your nationality race in Moscow, Russian cop wouldn't believe that you are Caucasian.
And it is better for you, so that Caucasian people get special treatment.
edit on 31-10-2016 by kitzik because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I think I'll just start referring to everyone as mongrel,
I'll probably be right more often than not....

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join