It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The true cost of Low Wages. Who is really to blame.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Here's a video which explains the reason we have such income inequality, when it happened and who was behind it.

It's not the poor or paying for welfare either. It's because the rich wanted to be super rich at the expense of everyone else. Wake up folks.

If the poor were getting all your stupid money they wouldn't be poor anymore. You're subsidizing the damn Super Rich. Not the Rich. The Super Rich.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Ill support you with an election investment theory

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: WanderingNomadd

Great video. Part 2 is also just as good.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I dunno; I've read about half of this thread, while I agree with much of what has been said, the reality is that opportunity still exists.

Have any of you looked at job postings lately?

There's plenty of decent paying jobs that require little skill -- and in these jobs upward movement is available. There are also plenty of jobs that require some experience and skill and/or education. If one applies themselves quite minimally, a degree or certificate is easily obtainable.

Fast food isn't meant to be a career, as many have said, and the skills learned in FF often do not translate to a better job. However, simply having the job for a duration of a year or so, depending on age and circumstances, does translate on your resume. Employers like to hire dependability. If you bounce from job to job with an entitlement mentality, you're part of the problem.

It sounds silly, but hard work still pays off.

Yes we've lost many manufacturing jobs but there's plenty still here. If you don't believe me, do a job search.

This is from a single-parent male, that's made the worst career and financial decisions imaginable. Yet, here I am with one trade school certificate, working on an associate's degree; recently hired to a decent paying job (which many have quit). Location may be a benefit to me, I realize this. Still, determination and gumption is a greater benefit, I feel.

It's there; if you want it.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: CheckPointCharlie

I understand your position and you are right, working hard will get some people into better standards of living, and rightly so. But when you consider the enormity of the, say, American population, It becomes quite clear there is only 4 slices of cake and 5 people.

The offical figure of unempoyed is:

US unemployment rate came in at 4.9 percent in July 2016 unchanged from the June rate and above market expectations of 4.8 percent. The number of unemployed persons was essentially unchanged at 7.8 million.

The one Trump stated that set some people off was 93million, but both of these 2 examples are wrong;

Once you strip out full-time students, senior citizens, the disabled, and those who have chosen not to work to take care of their children, a more reasonable estimate of "out of work" Americans is somewhere in the neighborhood of 21 million, or less than a quarter of Trump’s figure.

So if we take away the governments concern for image; We have something along the lines of 21Mil not 7.8. so an estimate of 13/14%

This number does'nt even begin to account for the 26% of low wage jobs (Meaning 26% of the jobs available are considered low wage) So we have 26% below the poverty line, 14% unemployed, making a rough total of 40% in poverty. I honestly don't believe for a second much more than 10% of that number can beat the poverty line. so lets be extremely fair and say the number of those struggling is 30%/35% you still have 20%/25% unable to achieve regardless of how hard they work.

It is a rigged system in a fake democracy.

On a different note, and strangely enough, once again trump is right, but for all the wrong reasons. His estimate was that 42% of labour market Americans were out of work, when in actual fact about 40%(Possibly 42%) are living in deemed poverty, some worse than others.

I appreciate your post though and am glad your hard work paid off.

edit on 22-8-2016 by WanderingNomadd because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   

We blame them because we WHERE them years ago. BUT instead of reling on the government (or some other angency) to help us, we worked our butt off to move up the chain.

You think I STARTED working at a $70K job? I worked two jobs ate Ramin noodles and went to collage. Then I STILL did not get a high paying job. I did not brake the $30K barrier until my 30's and then the $50K until the 40's.

But each new job was a step up. (OK one was not at the beginning but was a step to an even better job.)

During that time I have move all over the country to keep stepping up. I have watched many that where not willing to move stagnant and not move up. That is their choice, not because they couldn't...because they choose NOT too for what ever reason.

40 years ago we lived in Ohio on Welfare. My mom took the last of our money, packed the car and we drove to Texas where the jobs where. Stop whining about your situation and look for a solution, which very likly will mean moving to a new location.
edit on 22-8-2016 by dismanrc because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: dismanrc

and... around 30 years ago, the unemployment offices in many areas of the country were encouraging people to move to texas, care to guess what happened after that??? give you a clue, at that time the texas economy revolved around the oil industry, which boomed after the shah in iran fell and caused an oil shortage.. but, once the oil market got it's bearings back some and the price of oil fell lower that the cost to take our domestic oil out of the ground, those wells were capped. the jobs dried up, and well, many came to live in tent cities! I know cause I was there are the time.
there are losses that are associated with moving from you hometown or city and move into a strange place. you move from someplace where you know lots of people, the bosses that you are hoping to get a job from might be former classmates, or a friend of your parents, or a second cousin whatever to someplace where you are just another face. you might have left an extended family, parents, brothers, cousins, uncles, ect, who were quite supportive of you, maybe even would have been willing to allow you to stay with them before they would let you live in a danged tent with your young children! and yes, there were homeless people in texas with children, we had a family living with us for awhile, till we couldn't afford the place and moved out ourselves. they went and moved onto a campsite!

if someone is considering to move to where the jobs are I would suggest you consider it carefully, since there's alot of others also heard about those great jobs in that area and are thinking the same thing and sometimes the good times fly away just as fast as they come!

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   

The problem with your analysis is that the economy is not a zero-sum system. One man making more does not necessarily mean another man makes less. If that were so, considering the population in 1920 was about one-third what it is now, we should be a third of the $3269.40 reported median income that year, or around $1100. It's nowhere near that low.

Capitalism uses human greed to promote competition. Competition then, theoretically, produces efficiency and growth. What we have done is to try and take the competition out of the equation, because it's "too hard" for people. The result is that one group succeeds because they are willing to do what it takes to succeed, and a larger group complains. Now add in the government trying to 'equalize' results between everyone, and you get the disaster we have today. Those who sacrificed to get ahead are looking at those who didn't make the sacrifices but are getting a free ride up the ladder of financial success and thinking "why should I bust my butt?"

I know this because I am one of them. I busted my butt for 6 years in school at over 50 years old, raising a family by working every crap job that came along, staying up all night studying, scratching, scrimping, oftentimes not sure if I would have electricity the next month. Now I have the degree(s) needed for success, picked up an internship making $15 an hour part-time while I wait for a full-time job, and here someone else decides they should get the same thing for... wait for it... throwing a fit and crying.

Yeah, it bothers me. Why should I bust my butt? Why should anyone? Let's just throw a little temper tantrum and get the government to give us what we want.

Success can be had. I'm proof. You just have to work for it, and crying while you wait for someone else to help you instead of helping yourself doesn't count.

TheRedneck

edit on 8/22/2016 by TheRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Sorry, but if a degree, trade school, certifications are required, and you don't have them, you will not get that job, let alone an interview. Cry and bitch all you want, if a State boiler cert. is needed to run/maintain the process systems, forget holding your breath, you are not getting in the door, period.
When it comes to jobs, corp America is requiring more and more schooling for jobs, and criers need not apply. Did I miss your point?

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Yes, you missed it. If a certification is required you get the certification, not cry about why you can't and how unfair life is.

I'm not the one crying for $15 an hour. I worked hard and long to get it.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

The problem with your analysis is that the economy is not a zero-sum system. One man making more does not necessarily mean another man makes less. If that were so, considering the population in 1920 was about one-third what it is now, we should be a third of the $3269.40 reported median income that year, or around $1100. It's nowhere near that low.

Capitalism uses human greed to promote competition. Competition then, theoretically, produces efficiency and growth. What we have done is to try and take the competition out of the equation, because it's "too hard" for people. The result is that one group succeeds because they are willing to do what it takes to succeed, and a larger group complains. Now add in the government trying to 'equalize' results between everyone, and you get the disaster we have today. Those who sacrificed to get ahead are looking at those who didn't make the sacrifices but are getting a free ride up the ladder of financial success and thinking "why should I bust my butt?"

I know this because I am one of them. I busted my butt for 6 years in school at over 50 years old, raising a family by working every crap job that came along, staying up all night studying, scratching, scrimping, oftentimes not sure if I would have electricity the next month. Now I have the degree(s) needed for success, picked up an internship making $15 an hour part-time while I wait for a full-time job, and here someone else decides they should get the same thing for... wait for it... throwing a fit and crying.

Yeah, it bothers me. Why should I bust my butt? Why should anyone? Let's just throw a little temper tantrum and get the government to give us what we want.

Success can be had. I'm proof. You just have to work for it, and crying while you wait for someone else to help you instead of helping yourself doesn't count.

TheRedneck

Amazing how some people can't see that we are all captains of our own ships. You either work hard and figure out how to make it or your starve. It really is that simple.

Like you, I worked set some goals and a path on how to get there, worked hard over a number of years and "made it." Making sacrifices and delaying my own personal gratification along the way only to be told by those who didn't that I am "lucky" or had everythign handed to me or it is isn't fair.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I think most people who have worked their way to the top have similar experiences. And they (we) don't like it. So when you're sitting across the interview desk from them, or they're looking at a resume, I think that thought is foremost in their mind: "Is this guy going to think I got here by luck and try to screw me behind my back?"

I've sat in that chair. That's what I was thinking.

I have always said, if I get an interview I've probably got the job. I know what the guy is worried about. I don't have to come across as perfect; I have to come across as realistic, determined, and self-sufficient. Because that's all the big boys want: a little human respect for what they've done.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Careful, if we are separated by any criteria we are far easier to control.

I see sexual orientation, color, religion, car you drive, phone you use, ect and now the hot button is what you make. I find it difficult to get my tail in a knot if someone makes a better living. I can understand the I worked hard and you do this job that is menial and it aint fair (i envision your arms crossed while complaining). I'm in a similar boat as you, being in a skilled trade. We are safe because things catch fie, blow up, or fall and injure people if we make an oopsy. But there are lots of people with the skills to do "unskilled" jobs, hence the slow hard screw they are getting.

The problem I have is subsidizing profitable companies because they use social services to keep cheap labor showing up. Fact is min wage is as stagnant as your pay. You see we are all getting screwed, but let's all concentrate fire on the low paid "unskilled" min/low wagers. Truth is we are separated according to plan, and it is WORKING.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I really don't care what others make. I talk to a CEO the same way I talk to the janitor. Income is not a 'hot button' issue for me... if it were I wouldn't have wasted so much time in this thread trying to help people understand how to get ahead.

Skin color: irrelevant. Sexual orientation: irrelevant (just please don't bore me with it). Gender: irrelevant. Political opinion: irrelevant (unless you get obnoxious with it). National origin: irrelevant (excluding Yankees). Education: irrelevant (unless we're discussing quantum mechanics). Everything is irrelevant except for one thing.

The hot button issue for me is respect. If you respect me, I will try to respect you. If you disrespect me, I want nothing to do with you.

Well, and football of course. ROLL TIDE.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: JDeLattre89

There was a time in America where what you said was true. Those days are gone. And, understanding the events means one must avoid "cognitive dissonance" traits. That is a bad way to view the world. The problems are real and complex. However, when one looks at the historical facts of the past hundred years with the aid of "Occum Razor," It's easy to see practical management of the nation's economy was hijacked. Wall Street's model of capitalism no longer exist. Had you, and most others, understood Bush Lite's assessment of the past Depression...err...resession, you'd know he said more than the words that came out his mouth. "Too big to fail" means "fascism." The marriage of Big Govt. and corporation rule." When big banks and investment firms fail, for what reasons whether fraud or bad management, demanding govt. bail-outs are the red flag of fascism. So, as a result, we are living in a Fascist state. Adam Smith probably rolled in his grave.

America is a fascist Empire and the Republic is in tethers. The recent hundred years was the result of a diabolical plot among the principal Wall St. power brokers. Introducing the FED in 1913 was the beginning of America's decline with a lot of "scandals" and criminal acts committed by govt. officials from that date to the present.

My personal opinion is we are the "victims" of fascist mentality that existed years prior to WW-II. America introduced Eugenic programs around the turn of the century. Wall Street's "America's Liberty League" coup attempt in 1933 was inspired by Italy's fascist system. Many of America's conservative celebrities such as "Lucky Lindy" Charles Lindburg and Henry Ford were supporters of Hitler. The fascist NAZI Party gained ground in America and Allen Dulles of the OSS allowed NAZI war criminals into America after the war. It is what it is and as far as I concerned America still holds a lot of fascist sediments today.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I know this because I am one of them. I busted my butt for 6 years in school at over 50 years old, raising a family by working every crap job that came along, staying up all night studying, scratching, scrimping, oftentimes not sure if I would have electricity the next month. Now I have the degree(s) needed for success, picked up an internship making $15 an hour part-time while I wait for a full-time job, and here someone else decides they should get the same thing for... wait for it... throwing a fit and crying. Yeah, it bothers me. Why should I bust my butt? Why should anyone? Let's just throw a little temper tantrum and get the government to give us what we want.

Are you taking about a specific job or situation? The multi national corp i worked for didn't give a hoot if you cried, and govt interference had little to do with who actually got hired. 2 ways to get hired, in my experience, is know someone, or be qualified.

But if you are finding winers getting ahead and if it really bothers you, you literally have 2 roads (if you want to stay at this company). Keep doing what you are doing and F em, or start wining. Squeaky wheel may get the oil in the company that you work for.

At the end of the day you give precious hours of your limited life for paper money, get as much $ as you can for each hour.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Personally, I think you, and a few others commenting, look at today's problems in the workforce only from your perspective. Everything you said is true if one wants to get promoted and live in a better situation. However, good paying jobs are rare and the result of "global flight." The ratio of good manufacturing companies and jobs and the number of those seeking them is disappointing. And I think many who are angry and bitch are victims of the NWO. Today, college grads in the best professions are finding jobs hard to find. Also, wealth distribution in the workforce is embarrassing. Everyone want the most for the least. So, considering all aspects, I think you and your experiences are what can be expected from a narcist point of view.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   

No, I'm talking in general. I used my specific circumstances to prove a point.

I have nothing to cry about, and when I did I didn't cry then. I worked even harder and smarter. The ones who are crying are those demanding $15 an hour for flipping burgers or sorting mail, and who are declaring that the 'rich' are 'oppressing' them because they don't get what they want when they want it.

I thought I had made that clear; apparently not, because you seem to keep missing my point.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: dagann

The ratio of good manufacturing companies and jobs and the number of those seeking them is disappointing.

Primarily due to governmental taxes and regulations, as I have said in this very thread.

And I think many who are angry and bitch are victims of the NWO.

Without more explanation, it sounds like we have a new boogeyman to beat up on.

Today, college grads in the best professions are finding jobs hard to find.

Considering I just received my degree last May, I'm glad you told me. Otherwise I would never have figured it out.

That was sarcasm, BTW.

Also, wealth distribution in the workforce is embarrassing.

That I can completely agree on. Now, care to tell me your hypothesis on why and how to change it?

Everyone want the most for the least.

There is the issue, with emphasis on everyone. That includes the poor, the rich, the big wheels, the pawns, kings and paupers alike. My posts here have all concentrated on this fact. The others seem to only concentrate on the working (or unemployed) poor.

The field needs levelling. You don't level something by turning it on it's side.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I see the point now.

I agree with the $15 an hour people, but only for one reason. Because ALL of our wages are stagnant. A little research will prove this out.

If your position is a low wage/govt (tax payer) subsidized system that we are now in then agree to dis. The video the op put up on page 1 should scare everyone, this will/is lead to civil unrest if not corrected.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join