It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cultural Appropriation Is Bad And We Need To Stop It! Oh wait....what's the definition again?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   
According to some, I would have to throw out about 90% of my favorite recipes. I am partial to authentic Mexican recipes with a side of Mediterranean and Asian both near and far (i.e. Middle Eastern and what we Americans typically think when we go Asian). I don't have a lot of plain American staples in the binder.

It is no mockery on my part to cook that other stuff. Those cultures know how to do food much better than my home culture does (unless we're talking BBQ although I do have a nice Korean short rib recipe ...), and you aren't going to force me to starve to death to satisfy your notions of proper.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: SomeDumbBroad

Ummm...cultural appropriation is when you eat Mexican food...or Chinese...or Italian...etc...
We should all just boycott those establishments and stick to our own cultural fare.......Wait...What...?

Goodbye thanksgiving dinner...and Haggis is only for the Scott's...Thank GOD...
We have simply usurped and appropriated our way across the face of the earth...on the backs...of our stomachs...

Please tell me how to give back to the originating cultures all that food I've appropriated over the years...
Sniffle...I've even attempted to replicate a goodly deal of such cultural fare...in the secrecy of my own kitchen...
Begone Wok and pasta maker...so long keurig and tureen...

All I'm left with is that quintessential staple of the American youth diet..................school paste...
And I can't even add any soy sauce to it...

I'm so very...very...insensitive...I may as well just crawl back through the wombs of all my ancestors...until I once more gaze across that fabled first savanna...while popping the only nits left for me to pick...between my elongated incisors...

As I scratch that particular itch...Doh...here come the hominids to upend the apple cart and start the appropriation game...
There goes the neighborhood...

YouSir

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   
The people claiming that other people are stealing all their..rap and whatnot..all they have to do is "you're not doing it right" them to death and that about ends that conversation..it's not like they can't already claim the upper hand with all of this...junk and stuff...
edit on 9-6-2016 by breakingbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:11 PM
link   

That's not really an example of cultural appropriation though, whether you agree with the criticism or find it to be completely asinine. I wasn't aware of this particular incident but I have mixed feelings about it. Let me explain.

On the one hand, I can see why Nina Simone's family and others would be upset. There are dozens of actresses that I can think off the top of my head and therefore likely hundreds who would have been much better suited for this role — and she admitted as much herself — which begs the question, why would they have selected Zoe Saldana? Political correctness isn't exclusive to any group, so let's be brutally honest here. Zoe Saldana is often cast as the love interest of white men:

Guardians of the Galaxy
Rosemary's Baby
Out of the Furnace
Blood Ties
Star Trek Into Darkness
The Words
Burning Palms
The Losers
Star Trek
The Skeptic
After Sex (a white woman this time)
Guess Who
Temptation
Haven

and I'm probably missing a few. The reason for this is blatantly obvious. It's because she doesn't "look like" Nina Simone. She's essentially different enough to be exotic but European enough to appeal to white audiences.

On the other hand. That's not Zoe Saldana's problem, it's not her fault, she doesn't owe anyone anything, least of all an explanation and it makes absolutely no sense for anybody to take their s# out on her. Furthermore, who the hell is anyone to tell her she's not "black enough" or "white enough" or "Hispanic enough" or whatever else? It seems to me that these notions spring from the same sort of irrational thinking as any other sort of bigotry. It doesn't surprise me that a Twitter account in her name would be lashing out like that either because she was a) a black separatist and b) known for her violent outbursts that are WELL documented. So that's probably the most fitting thing of the whole debacle.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
See here's the funny thing. What is American culture?

You could describe American Culture many ways, but a common trait in it all was a great feeling of hope. But it's gone, I think that the Canadians and Mexicans appropriated it.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Arizonaguy

You could in fact describe it in many ways but not really narrow it down to much. It is a mix of every culture that has stepped foot here and shared it with someone outside of their own.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I like do wop what does that make me? And I'm gonna Rick roll u.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Fixated on bashing African American's enough?
There is a real problem with people "playing Indian", playing "shaman" from cultures in the Amazon to Australia.

The link between clothing and personal identity, however, means that putting on another culture’s clothes is a greater claim to ownership and belonging than sampling sushi or buying a burrito for lunch. As long as nudity isn’t a socially acceptable option, we are what we wear – and our desire to define ourselves through borrowed finery can either enrich or impoverish the source community.

time.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Nm
edit on 9-6-2016 by breakingbs because: doesn't matter

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   
edit on 9-6-2016 by breakingbs because: unimportant..

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 04:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Caver78
Fixated on bashing African American's enough?
There is a real problem with people "playing Indian", playing "shaman" from cultures in the Amazon to Australia.

The link between clothing and personal identity, however, means that putting on another culture’s clothes is a greater claim to ownership and belonging than sampling sushi or buying a burrito for lunch. As long as nudity isn’t a socially acceptable option, we are what we wear – and our desire to define ourselves through borrowed finery can either enrich or impoverish the source community.

time.com...

Not really sure who that is directed towards...

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 04:38 AM
link   
"White People"invented:
Telephones
Cellphones
Electricity
Computers
Aeroplanes
Internet
Penicillin
Cars
Space Flight ..........you get my drift ?

The list can go on and on, so is it cultural appropriation when "other non white cultures" have the advantage of all these wonderful inventions the world shares discovered by "white people" ?

Are these things not part of "white culture" ?

Absolutely no bigotry or rasicm meant with this post, but seriously the world has gone mad with this cultural appropriation crap!

I recently saw a clip from some university where a "black woman" accosted a " white male" for having dreadlocks. I was appalled that this crap is going on.

If they really believe that their culture is being stolen then they should embrace their heritage, go live in huts, and give up all the wonders the evil white people enjoy as part of their culture.

I may be wrong but that's how I see it.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

So I can never, ever wear a kimono or sombrero? But what if I genuinely find those things comfortable and like wearing them? Am I to wear clothing I find less comfortable in cut because some other culture wears those things?

I guess I'll just start saying this isn't a kimono. It just happens to be cut like one. This isn't a sombrero, but isn't it amazing how it looks like one?

And I am waiting for the Italians from Rome to go nuts over toga parties ...
edit on 9-6-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I think when stuff has a quasi religious undertone, like say a native american head dress, maybe there's a point. Everything else is just someone choosing to be offended.

That said, no one in their right mind would make their own 3 piece patch and go to a bike rally and not expect trouble.

Kinda the same thing isn't it?

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Yeah, except how do you dress as a native without being culturally insensitive? It seems like anytime you even think about it these days, someone's getting mad.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

True, though you can still go native without a head dress. Just a long black wig tied in a pony would do.

I doubt moccasins and buckskins would be really seen as offensive...Though there's always some nutter waiting for their chance.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   

What about suits, European / Western Clothing.
Is it fair that other cultures wear suits which is not part of their heritage/culture ?

Surely it's cultural appropriation !

Seriously the world has gone mad.

We live in a world which has become global and multicultural, we are one species with different cultures and ethnicities, we are way past saying that's mine you can't use it !

Absolutely we all should respect another's heritage and culture, but really glass houses .... Don't throw stones.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: SomeDumbBroad I cringe every time I see the creepy Italian guy on the train bit...

Ah! Mi scusi!
Cultural appropriation must be used with caution, lest it produce things like Baby Metal.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

True, though you can still go native without a head dress. Just a long black wig tied in a pony would do.

I doubt moccasins and buckskins would be really seen as offensive...Though there's always some nutter waiting for their chance.

People still complain about Pocahontas outfits and there is no head dress involved.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: SomeDumbBroad

originally posted by: SprocketUK

People still complain about Pocahontas outfits and there is no head dress involved.

I'm sure they do, but there's a validity about some old chief or whatever explaining why a head dress is important to him that is missing from the people who just moan about pocahontas outfits from the Disney shop.

At least I think so, though I'm not really very sensitive to all this stuff I must admit.

Btw that pinup on the Harley 45 is a great av. :-)

edit on 26pThu, 09 Jun 2016 08:50:26 -050020162016-06-09T08:50:26-05:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: Addendum

edit on 08pThu, 09 Jun 2016 08:57:08 -050020162016-06-09T08:57:08-05:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: One of in to not two like in too dumbass

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join