It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First deposition in email scandal reveals Clinton’s computer illiteracy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
How is using a BlackBerry that much more difficult? She seems to be quite adept using hers.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
I suppose this means we won't have to worry about her launching nukes.

The email by Blackberry might explain why she wanted a secure Blackberry, one she did not receive.

Maybe because she wanted it for use on a personal server? Which would not have been approved?
edit on 28-5-2016 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Blackberrys were not secure anyway, but the State Department people wanted her to have a more secure one (one of theirs) which Hillary declined to accept.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
There's some evidence Hillary and her entourage were using blackberrys illegally.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
No, Hillary is not running for head of IT, but wouldn't it be nice to get a President who had SOME inclination of how the world works, including science and technology? And don't say it's because she's "in her sixties." I'm 67 myself and I'm the first generation to grow up with this kind of technology. It's been there, for normal civilian use, since I was in my twenties. You would have had to do some serious avoiding to not know the basics.

Look at the Prime Minister of Canada, for example. Ask him about quantum mechanics and you'll get a decent answer, one that experts will say, "Yeah, he's actually right." And he's not trained in science; he has a B.A. in English and did some studies in engineering. He's not a PhD physicist, yet he has a basic understanding of science and technology and he knows how the world works.

Hillary reminds me of a story about the British aristocracy. One of the good old boys had everything done for him, never "drew his own bath." When visiting one of the great houses his servants had neglected to put tooth paste on his tooth brush. He appeared in the day room complaining that his brush "did not froth properly." When Bush One visited a grocery store he remarked on the barcode readers, which he had never seen. He never shopped for his own groceries and was totally unaware of how a modern market worked. These elites are clueless, yet they purport to represent us. But they are not functionally literate.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Blackberrys were not secure anyway, but the State Department people wanted her to have a more secure one (one of theirs) which Hillary declined to accept.

I read something which was the opposite.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Judicial Watch, the conservative political action group that has largely driven the investigation into former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's e-mails, has obtained documents through a Freedom of Information Act request indicating that Clinton tried and failed to get the National Security Agency to give her the same secure BlackBerry that President Obama used. Donald Reid, the State Department's coordinator for security infrastructure, reported in a 2009 e-mail, "Each time we asked the question 'What was the solution for POTUS,' we were politely asked to shut up and color."

Reid was trying to solve a problem for Assistant Secretary of State for Diplomatic Security Eric J. Boswell—the problem being that the new secretary of state was a certifiable BlackBerry addict but wasn't much of a computer user. Clinton became hooked on the BlackBerry in much the same way that President Obama did during the 2008 presidential campaign but found her preferred method of checking e-mail was banned from the secure office space at State's "Mahogany Row," the 7th floor at the State Department's Foggy Bottom headquarters in Washington. Use of wireless devices was banned in the space, which is designated as a Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility (SCIF).

But Reid found that using the desktop computer within the SCIF for e-mail was not in Clinton's comfort zone:

Link

So she didn't get one so she used her own. Also wasn't comfortable using desktop email.

edit on 5/28/2016 by roadgravel because: fix quote

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Judicial Watch, the conservative political action group that has largely driven the investigation into former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's e-mails, has obtained documents through a Freedom of Information Act request indicating that Clinton tried and failed to get the National Security Agency to give her the same secure BlackBerry that President Obama used. Donald Reid, the State Department's coordinator for security infrastructure, reported in a 2009 e-mail, "Each time we asked the question 'What was the solution for POTUS,' we were politely asked to shut up and color."

Reid was trying to solve a problem for Assistant Secretary of State for Diplomatic Security Eric J. Boswell—the problem being that the new secretary of state was a certifiable BlackBerry addict but wasn't much of a computer user. Clinton became hooked on the BlackBerry in much the same way that President Obama did during the 2008 presidential campaign but found her preferred method of checking e-mail was banned from the secure office space at State's "Mahogany Row," the 7th floor at the State Department's Foggy Bottom headquarters in Washington. Use of wireless devices was banned in the space, which is designated as a Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility (SCIF).

But Reid found that using the desktop computer within the SCIF for e-mail was not in Clinton's comfort zone:

Link

So she didn't get one so she used her own. Also wasn't comfortable using desktop email.

She didn't even secure her own desktop.

So what she didn't get what she wanted. It's her JOB at that point to deal with what she has, and she didn't. She decided to use her own devices and email server which guess what...got hacked.

There is a reason national security follows a protocol and she didn't follow it leading to her email being hacked. Too bad that she didn't get what she wanted. If she was too inept to perform the job without her "demands" she should have been removed from that job. We might have had a few people not die in Benghazi.

I know, I know, what does it matter now?!?

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   

From the OIG report:

In March 2009, after unsuccessful efforts to supply Secretary Clinton with a secure government smartphone, DS was informed that Secretary Clinton’s staff had been asking to use BlackBerry devices inside classified areas. The Assistant Secretary of DS then sent a classified memorandum to Secretary Clinton’s Chief of Staff that described the vulnerabilities associated with the use of BlackBerry devices and also noted the prohibition on the use of Blackberry devices in sensitive areas. According to a DS official, shortly after the memorandum was delivered, Secretary Clinton approached the Assistant Secretary and told him she “gets it.”

They tried to get Hillary and her crew to use official electronic devices, but they chose not to.

edit on 28-5-2016 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

What we are seeing is she wanted it her way. And she had a lack of security knowledge. Maybe she should listen to staff that have more of a clue. Will she operate a spresident in whatever way she decides, regardless of rules and protocols?
edit on 5/28/2016 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
De-railing right from the start... just sad.

The issue is not whether she is tech savvy or IT proficient. The issue is that she represents a danger to this nation due to any of various conditions or inabilities, including proper use of technology with security in mind.

Really, you need to get a grip on the reality of this. Does anyone believe that she went through the entire clinton term of office, and all her time in the senate, without using a computer to send an email? Get serious. This is going to be her escape pod. I can hear her now. "I didn't even know how to use a computer. I have IT people to take care of things like web security. If there was a problem, you need to talk to them."

And the libs are eating it up...and making excuses for her along the way.

Just sad...

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   

.Will she operate a spresident in whatever way she decides, regardless of rules and protocols?

is that a rhetorical question?

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   

That is what I remembered.
I guess a smartphone was too complicated for her too.
She had her Blackberry.
At least it wasn't one of those Crickets.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
When Bush One visited a grocery store he remarked on the barcode readers, which he had never seen. He never shopped for his own groceries and was totally unaware of how a modern market worked. These elites are clueless, yet they purport to represent us. But they are not functionally literate.

I agree with the sentiment of your post but thought it should be pointed out that the above snippet is actually an often repeated falsehood....

Claim: During a photo opportunity at a 1992 grocers' convention, President George Bush was "amazed" at encountering supermarket scanners for the first time.

Snopes/Was President Bush amazed by a grocery scanner?

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   
A lot of older people dont know this stuff, those that get by dont what CC or BCC does either - but its not somthing that cant be changed by a one hour lesson and the how-to's, do's and dont's for basic security when surrounded by technical experts.

Im not a huilllary fan either (not that it matter either since im not in the USA) but technical hiccups like this arnt really a problem, whats a problem is those experts letting her slide for this long. Ignorance isnt an excuse, dont get me wrong here, im sure trump cant fix his own router either - meh.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs
No one is expecting her to do repairs on a router.

We are expecting that a two term first lady and US Senator might be able to send an email from a desktop computer.
It isn't a very high bar.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

We might also expect that a Secretary of State might have some actual concern for national security and the protection of classified top secret information.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
- but its not somthing that cant be changed by a one hour lesson and the how-to's, do's and dont's for basic security when surrounded by technical experts.

You can't be serious with that...

She has a political CAREER, it's not like all the sudden she decided to run for president ans has to learn these things.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Drunkenparrot

originally posted by: schuyler
When Bush One visited a grocery store he remarked on the barcode readers, which he had never seen. He never shopped for his own groceries and was totally unaware of how a modern market worked. These elites are clueless, yet they purport to represent us. But they are not functionally literate.

I agree with the sentiment of your post but thought it should be pointed out that the above snippet is actually an often repeated falsehood....

Claim: During a photo opportunity at a 1992 grocers' convention, President George Bush was "amazed" at encountering supermarket scanners for the first time.

Snopes/Was President Bush amazed by a grocery scanner?

Thanks for the clarification, but I'm not sure Snopes got it right either. From your link:

Today, for instance, [Bush] emerged from 11 years in Washington's choicest executive mansions to confront the modern supermarket.

Visiting the exhibition hall of the National Grocers Association convention here, Mr. Bush lingered at the mock-up of a checkout lane. He signed his name on an electronic pad used to detect check forgeries.

"If some guy came in and spelled George Bush differently, could you catch it?" the President asked. "Yes," he was told, and he shook his head in wonder.

Then he grabbed a quart of milk, a light bulb and a bag of candy and ran them over an electronic scanner. The look of wonder flickered across his face again as he saw the item and price registered on the cash register screen.

"This is for checking out?" asked Mr. Bush. "I just took a tour through the exhibits here," he told the grocers later. "Amazed by some of the technology."

Marlin Fitzwater, the White House spokesman, assured reporters that he had seen the President in a grocery store. A year or so ago. In Kennebunkport.

All we have by way of calling that false is Marlin Fitzawater's claim that he had seen Bush in a grocery store. But read Snope's own account here and Bush certainly does admit to being amazed. Perhaps the "grocery store" in Kennebunkport did not yet have scanner technology. Maybe it was a Mom & Pop. We don't know, of course, but the substance of Bush's encounter with grocery store technology would indicate that he had never seen a scanner before. The description of the encounter does not seem false to me.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

originally posted by: Biigs
- but its not somthing that cant be changed by a one hour lesson and the how-to's, do's and dont's for basic security when surrounded by technical experts.

You can't be serious with that...

She has a political CAREER, it's not like all the sudden she decided to run for president ans has to learn these things.

Yeah she has a political career, not one ini modern technology. Should she know? yes, does it matter she doesnt yet? not really.

Thats all im saying, this is simply stuff thats gone over looked by her teams.

When somone comes to my office and asks for help with a macro in excel, do i fix that for them and do their job or do i sign them up for an excel VBA course?

edit on b1414733 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join