It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Farmers sue Monsanto over alleged Roundup cancer link

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire
I think the outcome of their case will depend upon the strength of their attorney's arguments.

I don't think they have much of a case for the reasons given by the OP.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Vector99

Bayer is only tapping into the seed market, they are a pharmaceutical corporation.

Actually...

With an international market share of 20 percent Bayer Cropscience, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Bayer AG, is the second largest pesticide producer in the world (after Syngenta). For seeds the company is in seventh place with a market share of 3 percent. The concentration process in the agricultural market has been ongoing for decades.

aseed.net...

For seeds the company is in seventh place with a market share of 3 percent

Your own quote, I moved the bold accordingly. I said SEEDS, not pesticides
edit on 15-5-2016 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Um. Are pesticides pharmaceuticals?

Bayer is only tapping into the seed market, they are a pharmaceutical corporation.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   

a reply to: intergalactic fire
Actually, they are competitors.

Actually, everyone seems to be hopping into bed with each other. What's stopping Monsanto from doing the same? For the sake of this thread, they're being singled out and could end up having to explain the rise of specific cancer types.

www.counterpunch.org...
www.motherjones.com...

edit on 15-5-2016 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Um. Are pesticides pharmaceuticals?

Are pesticides no longer chemicals?

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Is glyphosate a pharmaceutical?
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 5/15/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Agriculturally? Yep. It's a pharmaceutical.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   

pfft.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

What's stopping Monsanto from doing the same?

The courts. Hopefully.
Maybe too hopefully.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   

pfft.

Hey, you know damn well it's true.

They are looking into the whole mixing into seed tech. Not there yet, but will be soon.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   

You know damned well that Bayer is not exclusively a pharmaceutical company.
At least, you should.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   

You know damned well that Bayer is not exclusively a pharmaceutical company.
At least, you should.

Well duh, but that is the main part of their corporation currently.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   
So this is, you admit, bull#:

Second global pesticide manufacturer would seem to indicate a deep involvement in the industry rather than a sideline.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   

So this is, you admit, bull#:

Second global pesticide manufacturer would seem to indicate a deep involvement in the industry rather than a sideline.

They are a pharmaceutical company that deals in chemicals in general.

They also are apparently only 3% of the global seed market according to your link.

I would call that just tapping into the market personally.

originally posted by: Vector99

Bayer is only tapping into the seed market, they are a pharmaceutical corporation. That being said, it doesn't surprise me they are tapping the GMO industry.

Remember, from the start I only said seeds. Nothing else.

edit on 15-5-2016 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Waffle

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Waffle

Biscuits and gravy?

Pharmaceuticals are chemically based compounds right?

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Yes.
So is sodium cyanide a chemical compound. That does not make it a pharmaceutical.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   

So you choose one compound that will never be used in pharmaceuticals for obvious reasons, link me to wiki, and that's it? I'm disappointed.

If it wasn't lethally toxic, the pharmaceutical industry would use it.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I know the OP is about Monsanto, but a bit of background on Bayer...
en.wikipedia.org...

From the Wikipedia page.

In 2014 Bayer bought Merck's consumer business, with brands such as Claritin, Coppertone and Dr. Scholl's. Its BayerCropscience business develops genetically modified crops and pesticides. Its materials science division makes polymers like polyurethanes and polycarbonate.

In 1925 Bayer became part of IG Farben, the world's largest chemical company. Following the Nazi takeover of Germany, IG Farben was embroiled in the Nazi regime's policies as a large government contractor. After World War II, Bayer was reestablished as an independent company, and quickly regained its position as one of the world's largest chemical and pharmaceutical corporations. Bayer has been involved in controversies regarding some of its drug products; its statin drug Baycol (cerivastatin) was discontinued in 2001 after 52 people died from renal failure, and Trasylol (aprotinin), used to control bleeding during major surgery, was withdrawn from the markets worldwide when reports of increased mortality emerged; it was later re-introduced in Europe but not in the US.

And

World War II During World War II, IG Farben used slave labor in factories that it built adjacent to German concentration camps, notably Auschwitz,[23] and the sub-camps of the Mauthausen-Gusen concentration camp.[24] IG Farben purchased prisoners for human experimentation of a sleep-inducing drug and later reported that all test subjects died.[25][26] IG Farben held a large investment in Degesch which produced Zyclon B used to gas and kill prisoners during the Holocaust.[27] After World War II, the Allies broke up IG Farben and Bayer reappeared as an individual business "inheriting" many of IG Farben's assets.[25] Fritz ter Meer, an IG Farben board member from 1926 to 1945 and directed operations at the IG Farben plant at Auschwitz, was sentenced to seven years in prison during the IG Farben Military Tribunal at Nuremberg. He was elected Bayer's supervisory board head in 1956.[28] In 1995, Helge Wehmeier, the head of Bayer, publicly apologized to Elie Wiesel for the company's involvement in the Holocaust at a lecture in Pittsburgh

It would seem like they are efficient at what they do and have been for a while now.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I hope they drive Monsatan out of business. That company has twisted the system for a while and uses bully tactics to suppress anyone who challenges them. That practice of bullying people should be made illegal. They misuse Ad Hominum to a great extent. They omit testing on anything other than known problems just as any chemical company does but they convince their scientists that it is not a concern. I would never work for that kind of a company, there are legitimate chemical companies out there.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join