It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This sounds crazy but I don't know what happened.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I want to start off by saying that I know this sounds crazy and there very well may be a logical explanation but this is just weird.

Here is a little backstory, a little over two years ago, I moved 2000 miles across the country. I know the area pretty well. However, about a month ago I started a new job. The first couple of weeks, on my way home, I always took the freeway. But a couple of weeks ago, I found out on the days that I don't go to the gym and I go directly home from work, that it was better to take back roads. Now it's not quicker to get home, but since I'm moving instead of sitting in traffic, I don't mind taking the side roads.

I don't really know the side roads that well, but to get home from work it is simply taking the freeway, getting off of the freeway and taking that road all the way down until I have to make a turn on Central.
Well, I've had two strange experiences with driving this road.

So for the first one,as I mentioned, the only street that I have to turn onto to get home is Central. Now, on Central, there is a library. I've driven this way probably six times, and three of the times I have turned on the wrong road, because you're going pretty quick, and so it's hard to slow down and look at each road name like I did the first time. Well, last Thursday, I noticed that there was a sign that said library, and had an arrow down the road. I remember telling myself, what a moron, because I'm looking for the street signs but there's a sign for the library right there. That was the last time I drove on that road until yesterday. Now I'm getting used to the area, so I know that there are some points on the road that I will pass and then I know that the street is coming up that I need to turn on to, the next 5 to 10 streets (still don't know which). So yesterday, I'm driving and I'm coming up to the road that I am pretty certain is central, but I'm looking for the sign for the library and there is no sign for the library. I did in fact slowdown because I was certain, and I noticed that it was indeed Central, but there was no sign that showed the library. Now the sign that I noticed last week did not appear to be a temporary sign, it looked like it was in just like a stop sign. When I noticed the sign last week, I figured it had been there the whole time, but since it wasn't there yesterday, I really have no idea what to think. I even looked on all four corners of the intersection.

The second weird happening, I have been trying to figure out for a couple of weeks. So the first time I drove home on this road, I came up to a two way stop sign, those who were going east and west had the stop signs, those who were going north and south did not. That first night, I pulled up to the stop sign heading East, I looked both ways, and I started to go through the intersection. The next thing I know, I have a car speeding at me at 55 mph probably, and it barely missed me, completely had to swerve out-of-the-way. So close to me! I remember thinking to myself that I had no idea how I didn't see that car coming. So obviously, at that intersection, that experience would tend to make you more aware and cautious, so as to not get hit. The problem is, I've driven that road another few times and I can't find this intersection. There are plenty of two way stop lights for east and west, and there are plenty of intersections that have 4 light signals, but none that I can find that has a two way stop sign. There is one that I thought was it, except for the fact that it's a flashing red stoplight right now, and it's a four-way flashing stoplight. I am certain that night, that the north to south had the right away as there was no stop light or stop sign for them and no car could be going 55 mph North to south as well now because on the north side of the intersection it's completely blocked off and closed. If this was the intersection, that means that first of all it is now a stoplight,4 directional, and secondly this car that swerved out of the way to hit me and continued to drive on would have driven through these barricades. I've looked every single time that I've driven home since then to try to figure out where this intersection is, and none are where this happened. Yes, I'm sure I got off at the same exit of the freeway as this is the only one that takes me all the way through.

Now I don't know how to explain this, and I know I sound like a crazy person, but this is just really getting to me, because it simply doesn't make sense. I like to think that there are pretty sound explanations for most things, but I just can't figure what out what is going on with these two situations on this road. Any thoughts, or any other experiences like this?

Also, I apologize, I had to type this out on my phone.
edit on 4-5-2016 by cappy85 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: cappy85

Human memory is faulty- reality is precieved through the lens of a fallible biological machine (unfortunately).. Or it's aliens.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   

If either situation happened to me, I would stick to taking the freeway. It sounds safer.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Reminds me of Mrs. Todd's Shortcut , my favorite Stehpen King short story.

He narrates a tale about Mrs. Todd, who is obsessed with finding shortcuts. Homer admires her persistence but begins to have doubts, as there are only so many shortcuts someone can find. Mrs. Todd's habit of resetting her odometer shows remarkable evidence that something strange is going on. He also discovers evidence that her shortcuts are taking fewer miles than are in a straight line between the trip origin and its destination, something that would be impossible in reality. Mrs. Todd compares the shortcuts to folding a map to bring two points closer together, suggesting she has discovered a warped version of reality, akin to a wormhole.

The events in the story take place in real places on real roads. I have taken out a map a few times to follow along with the story.

Similar things have happened to me.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Well that makes more sense than anything but I don't think I would invent a sign and I'm certain of the intersection because I almost got t-boned. Maybe I'm going off the deep end but I remember both of these very vividly. Who knows.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: gmoneystunt

I think that's a fair assessment, of course I'm curious about the library sign but I don't think it's worth it!

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

What a fascinating story, I may have to read that. That seems so out there but I have no idea what happened and I don't have an explanation. I have always taken the thought process that stranger things have happened and anything is possible so I just move on, mostly because sometimes I simply don't have an answer or I doubt myself.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Yes well, have you considered indulging in some recreational T&C violation, it may make you feel more at ease about the situation?

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Ok, well I don't know what I did, if you wouldn't mind explaining.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

lol, no, no you misunderstood me, I was attempting to be funny, you've done absolutely nothing wrong..

edit on 4-5-2016 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Oh, I suppose my dry sense of humor didn't catch that. I'll be honest, I have no idea where my messages are at on this phone so I didn't even see it. I thought I broke the rules

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

recreational T&C violation

That's hysterical. You should trademark that.
edit on 4-5-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Top right hand corner you'll see a mail box lit up..no you did nothing wrong.

On point I think it's likely a memory issue, though many here may tell you something like a time slip...

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Have you inspected your route on google maps satellite view, or even street view? You may get some explanations, or at least some understanding of locations of some of the streets and intersections in relation to others. I have had my share of weirdness on frontage and state backroads. not really missing intersections, but just sensations of eeriness. It may just be the isolated nature of the roads playing tricks o our minds.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Someone is trying to make you nuts!

No, actually..........."they" have been taking down the signs pointing to libraries across the country because "they" don't want people to use the libraries because they're full of books "they" don't want people to use.

No, really, I'm just kidding.......the real truth is that I've been going from town to town stealing the signs to the Library so I can sell them at flea markets.

Want a sign? Check for one on Craigslist!

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Please stop texting while driving.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

You are free to use it, just make sure you say the content below is provided by TechniXcality

edit on 4-5-2016 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I do feel like a crazy person so maybe I have just been zoning out, because I don't text and drive.lol It is so strange. I will check the map view and just not drive that way anymore. Seems like the best idea!

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I think I found it and then I pressed a button and deleted it. Technology and I don't mix, clearly!

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Yes we've all had these times, perhaps as suggested GPS track your route, or file it away with the missing socks, and forget about it..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join