It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How would legal gun ownership protect citizens from a terrorist attack?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

One of the problems is that most gun ranges and sportsmen's clubs have banned tactical shooting to avoid hassles with the anti-gun crowd. I've been trained in what to do and what to practice, but, there are very few places that I can practice to keep current.

One of the best things that you can do is to shoot at a 9 inch paper plate 20 feet away. The area of the paper plate is about the same as center of mass on a person. Our club banned anything except for standard targets after I started doing this. The problem with a standard target is that it's size tends to distract new shooters, while a paper plate tends to give them a point of focus and makes it easier to concentrate.

The reason for the plate being 20 feet away is simple. It is an easy effective range for a handgun and if your threat is further than 20 feet, you should be thinking more about getting out of there than shooting.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: imjack

Since when is Texas in Panama? Or Africa? I'm confused. You said highest in the world homicide rates, yet the US does not have the highest in the world homicide rates.

Or did something get annexed last night?

I'm obviously speaking about the USA as a whole as a developed nation with gun violence.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

What other country has that much gun violence that isn't directly related to the Cartel? We have 20x more homicide by % than the UK.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

originally posted by: MayanBoricua
a reply to: anxiouswens

There was a Draw Muhammad Day in the Outskirts of Dallas, Texas a while back. A few muslims got angry and decided to go shoot up the building it was being held at.
The assault didnt even last 30 seconds, and the didnt make it ten feet from the car before they were gunned down. No one was hit in the crossfire, and guns were put away once the threat ended.
Thats what happens when you mess with Texas.

Bunch of redneck idiots go out of their way to insult a religion they do not understand. Don't mess with Texas? Don't try and think they are playing with a full deck of cards. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Grow up.

In that case , if you are ever in a situation as described hold up a "peace sign" with your left hand. That way I will know you and I promise I will not use my firearm to assist you in any way.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   

As easy as cigarettes??? You have never been to a gun store have you??? Try and walking and just buy a weapon, firstly they will make you fill out the background form before even considering taking your money, then they copy your ID and then, MAYBE you can leave with it that day. Many times checks are delayed for days even a week or more. So yeah easy as cigarette huh?

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

The cop in the video you refer to was armed. All police in Paris are. He was simply wounded and not in a position to use his weapon.

Oh, and one of the shooters in the Bataclan (?sp) was shot by a cop on routine patrol. The shooter was on the stage and shooting down, but was shot dead by the cop who was in the right place at the right time.
edit on 29-3-2016 by PaddyInf because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: sycomix

As easy as cigarettes??? You have never been to a gun store have you??? Try and walking and just buy a weapon, firstly they will make you fill out the background form before even considering taking your money, then they copy your ID and then, MAYBE you can leave with it that day. Many times checks are delayed for days even a week or more. So yeah easy as cigarette huh?

You can buy a gun here without an ID, the same way children get cigarettes. My friends who are 17 and 16 have guns, and not just standard firearms, they have AR's. I've shot a Galil, shotguns, etc. Having more room to acquire them legally only makes it easier to acquire them ilegally. This is obvious.

Having a an automatic weapon will still not stop a suicide bomb, and only gives you more opportunity to miss and hit civilizations, and the downtime between terrorists attacks to individuals is almost once in a lifetime.

If you're attacked by a gang, you should get a gun. You might see them again. A terrorist is a pretty rare repeat occurance for an individual.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

I've an ace of sorts.

I know two retired LEO's, who were at some points in their careers training others...and they've been most helpful in my learning the ins and outs of tactical shooting. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination...in fact, I probably know enough to be very dangerous to myself, at this point. But it's coming along. The learning when not to shoot is the most important part of it, I've discovered.

...and my Dad, and his father were both combat veterans who taught me a lot, too. From a very young age, I was taught safety, and practice, practice, practice.

ETA: Your comment about paper plates struck a chord with me. That's exactly how I was taught to shoot a hand gun. Twenty to thirty feet as I recall, which is about what I do now when I'm shooting my .38 SW revolver. It's not much use further than that, and like you say, if they're further away than that, I'm leaving, anyway...with as many as I can get to follow along.
edit on 3/29/2016 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

I live in Dallas, I can tell you for sure if you enter BulletTrap, Garland Guns, Defender Outdoors, Trigger Ranch, they will check and ID you before a purchase. I have legally purchased dozens of weapons over the years, in every case, even at gun shows buying from a booth, check and ID required. The only time that gets overlooked is a person to person sale and even then most of us get a copy of the ID. Try harder bub.

Oh and an AR is a standard firearm. What do you call a non-standard firearm???
edit on 29-3-2016 by sycomix because: Clarification

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The seller can profile the bad guys.
The Terrorists can be intimidated by our skills and numbers .
AND far more important CATCHING a terrorist is like winning a gameshow to vets and gun owners.
Killing one, is a service to mankind.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: sycomix

Every gun shop in the Union does. Or they're not going to be in business for long, 'cause they'll be in jail.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
These conversations always devolve and we never truly have the conversations we need to have. With regards to terrorism and guns we need to understand that...

Guns can help in certain situations but not all. AS was said a few post up...Guns are Tools not magic wands. Certain Tools don't work in every situation. You can't hammer a nail with hack saw.

The real issue here is profiling suicide bombers so that we can find and stop them and Terror organization recruiting. Why do they recruit...how...who do they recruit. What is the profile of a recruit? Those questions.

Keep in mind that I don't know anyone other than cops that take guns into airports. You aren't getting on an airplane or past security with one. Airports will always be gun free zones.

If you're pro gun, and I am, it's time to also understand that Guns aren't always the answer. They weren't in Brussels and that there are certain people (criminals and terrorists and the mentally ill) that probably shouldn't have access to guns.

Simple.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: sycomix

Trying harder to prove zillions of guns are constantly sold ilegally here? That's a joke right? You hear about unregistered guns all the time. This is a joke right? 93% of gun crimes are done with ILEGALL GUNS. You're clearly on drugs to think criminals use registered guns. The majority of legally sold guns are never even used, so how IN THE WORLD do we have 20x more homicide than the UK if it's supposedly so hard to obtain one? Your bias is defcon level 5 here. My harmless friends who at 16 can get a gun, a super dangerous one at that, and a criminal cant? Hahahhahaha
edit on 29-3-2016 by imjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

You want a discussion on our murder rate thats a different topic entirely.

Start a thread lots of people have opinions on why its so bad here.

That said lets look at the OP, legal gun ownership does it help hinder or wash when it comes to a terrorist attack.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Gun crime rate isn't a seperate topic from if we should have guns wtf. It's an incredibly important detail that 93% of gun crime is done with unregistered guns...this is undisputable proof it doesn't need to be any easier than it CURRENTLY is to get a gun.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: imjack

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Since when is Texas in Panama? Or Africa? I'm confused. You said highest in the world homicide rates, yet the US does not have the highest in the world homicide rates.

Or did something get annexed last night?

I'm obviously speaking about the USA as a whole as a developed nation with gun violence.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

What other country has that much gun violence that isn't directly related to the Cartel? We have 20x more homicide by % than the UK.

And, as many people who champion stricter gun control are apt to do, you move from "homicide rate in the world" to "gun violence in developed nations" as if they're one in the same.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

We're already undisputedly the highest gun owning country with nearly a 1:1 ratio of guns to people. There are 300 million guns in America, and AT LEAST 10% are unregistered. That's 30 million criminal guns, now let's compare this to the UK who is breaking records with their first 1 million guns. There's only 50 million guns in all of #ing china.

Arguement is silly because WE ALREADY HAVE THE GUNS.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   

We're already undisputedly the highest gun owning country with nearly a 1:1 ratio of guns to people. There are 300 million guns in America, and AT LEAST 10% are unregistered. That's 30 million criminal guns, now let's compare this to the UK who is breaking records with their first 1 million guns. There's only 50 million guns in all of #ing china.

An unregistered firearm is not necessarily a "criminal gun". Many firearms that are handed down within families, for example, may be unregistered after it changes hands.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

An unregistered firearm is not necessarily a "criminal gun". Many firearms that are handed down within families, for example, may be unregistered after it changes hands.

I'm expressing why we don't need more. 30 million unregistered guns is why we have 93% crime rate with unregistered guns. One technicality doesn't make the numbers as less monsterous. We almost have more unregistered guns than China has total. That's sickness.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   

You're right, the argument is silly.

Especially when one is arguing with oneself.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

If it is found out YOU ARE mistaken.
I can see C&R purchases before the 60s, MAYBE but they ARE indeed illegal.
Private sales were killed by Clinton as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join