It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islam a religion of peace?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   
This question strikes at the heart of the problem, If Islam is not a religion of peace yet purports its self to be, than we can safely say that all of its tenants should be put through the flames of discernment.

I will say right now there are those within Islam who practice peacefully,but I will demonstrate that they are not practicing ALL the tenants of their religion. That instead they have contextualized and cherry picked that which is prudent and have left the other parts out, the fact is any religion which requires a "leap of faith" has the potential to bare radicals and fundamentalists. By today's standards terrorists are not mentally ill in fact they are following their doctrine the very words that are read in the text and used as a justification and a rallying cry for Islamic terrorism world over.

Lets look at a few verses:

Quran (2:191-193) - "And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah [disbelief or unrest] is worse than killing...
but if they desist, then lo! Allah is forgiving and merciful. And fight them until there is no more Fitnah [disbelief and worshipping of others along with Allah] and worship is for Allah alone. But if they cease, let there be no transgression except against Az-Zalimun(the polytheists, and wrong-doers, etc.)"

Quran (2:216) - "Fighting is prescribed for you, and ye dislike it. But it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knoweth, and ye know not."

Quran (5:33) - "The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His messenger and strive to make mischief in the land is only this, that they should be murdered or crucified or their hands and their feet should be cut off on opposite sides or they should be imprisoned; this shall be as a disgrace for them in this world, and in the hereafter they shall have a grievous chastisement"

Quran (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them" No reasonable person would interpret this to mean a spiritual struggle.

Understand that all religions start from a "leap of faith" therefor I would argue that it begins outside of "sound moral truths", and can create radicals, but that as an autonomous free thinker we can weigh the differences (between religions and ideologies) and challenge any and every idea. Islamic fundamentalist blame Israel, they blame the west for their plight, when they look back at the empires of old they ask themselves,"what happened" , "how can we revert back to the times of old" in doing so they hard line their philosophy and they take the concept of martyrdom, jihad and victim-hood, and they form a common enemy with the expressed goal of bringing about a caliphate. Islam is not a religion of peace anymore than Christianity is, Islam is a religion like many religions with some good principals but many bad, the problem is that its an all encompassing belief system from the political and the creation of nation states to the spiritual.

Mohamed himself took child brides, raped and pillaged on his war path and the establishment of his religion, how can we honestly argue that the conclusions of such a man could ever lead to "sound moral truths" ? The fact is until Islam is reformed and secularized we will continue to see the rise of fundamentalism and thus a continued war; this is a war ! and even though the west may not refer to it as a war, make no mistake our enemy does. The guys who hijacked the airplanes, or the ones who attacked the subways in the U.K, or the guys decapitating people all over the world, have one thing in common, and it is not poverty it is not social ostracization, it is rather a strong belief in Islam and the tenants that are found within the doctrine.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Most muslims that i know told me that islam means to be at peace with god.

Have fun with your islam bashing thread.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

There has to be a paradigm shift in thinking if we're ever going to win the war on terror.

When you fight cowards that don't wear uniforms, there is going to be collateral damage.

The other alternative is to surrender.

link   
So personally, I'd say you're correct in that Islam as a religion is no different from any other religion. They all preach tolerance and love when it suits them and practice something entirely different.

Don't complain about child brides in Islam without acknowledging the cesspool that is that Catholic Church. What's worse?, taking a child as a bride to "care" for or to manipulate and induce fear in a child if he were to speak about his/her alleged abuse? I mean this sincerely. Reminds me of a story about a splinter in the eye or something.

All faiths of Abraham are perfect examples of what a control system is. Jam packed with wonderful taboos and fetishes. Eat them up yum!
edit on 26-3-2016 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

+18 more 
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
This question strikes at the heart of the problem, If Islam is not a religion of peace yet purports its self to be, than we can safely say that all of its tenants should be put through the flames of discernment.

Do we have to go through this nonsense again?

There's a great deal more violence in the name of God in the Bible than Quran. These three religious born of Abraham are all violent. M'kay?

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

Hardly "Islam bashing" but thank you for you deep and thorough response on the matter. No idea is too taboo or protected to judge.remember that my friend.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

Muslims themselves can be peaceful people. But Islam means "submission" and a Muslim is one who submits to Allah.

(post by n00bUK removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

No idea is too taboo or protected to judge.

Matthew 7:1

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

I think I made that clear, and further I am addressing the notion that Islam is a religion of peace..

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   

That's a fair call, regardless it doesn't change what I am speaking about. Btw I am an atheist.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Everything you described about Islam and its followers can be said about any other religions and its followers. We weren't around during the Inquisitions or Dark Ages so it's easy to overlook the atrocities committed in the name of the biblical God and Jesus.

Islam is no less a religion of peace than Christianity or whatever religion you can think of. All religions have their radicals so why all the focus on Islam? Probably because of the point I made above, out of sight out of mind, that's another way of saying willful ignorance.
edit on 3/26/2016 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I think I made that clear, and further I am addressing the notion that Islam is a religion of peace..

And that's a fallacy, as no religion is a religion of peace.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   

That's a fair call, regardless it doesn't change what I am speaking about. Btw I am an atheist.

If you're atheist why go on about Islam?

Why not fair and balanced? All abrahamic faiths are equally contradictory. They are intended to control and manipulate the weak minded.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Yes once again that point is made in my opening post... Where is it that you and I fervently disagree because I am failing to see it?

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   
That is a very well thought thread.

However, again, extremism isn't necessarily rising, it has just received more attention. The 24 hour news cycle was just getting ramped up around the time of 9/11.

One can find similar, shocking quotes in the Bible.

The vast majority of Muslims call ISIS Daesh, which is not a flattering term. It means 'one who crushes underfoot' or
'one who sows discord'.

The nature of recent terror attacks has also led to the idea that the planned Caliphate is falling. It's infrastructure mainly destroyed and extremists find themselves left to small cells- which in the end, will be better than a massive caliphate with unending resources. The attacks on ISIS territory are working.

In regard to Mohammed, he did have young brides. But I have read the histories and the arranged marriages were of value to the parents and the girl who would be brought into his well-off household and not be 'expected to perform wifely duties' until they were about 14. That was a normal age for the time as most people would be dead at 30. This occurred in many places in the world and changed as people lived longer lives.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

All religions aren't equally bent on destruction at this current juncture in time, I am fair and balanced, ideologies aren't on an even playing field and to make that argument is dishonest.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   

It's unfortunate that the priests and members of the clergy that have harmed children will never get their just punishment in this world.

That being said, if in your opinion the entirety of the Church is a "cesspool" because of the actions of a few, based on the all too common stories that regularly come out about teachers engaging in sex with their students, is the public school system a cesspool as well? I'm just curious about your consistency.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   

All religions aren't equally bent on destruction at this current juncture in time, I am fair and balanced, ideologies aren't on an even playing field and to make that argument is dishonest.

I thought you were a soldier? Didn't you see what "they" live in?

Put yourself in their shoes. From cradle to grave at this point most live with the stark reality of a terrible death at any moment. They've seen most of their loved ones dead courtesy of US made armament. They are told if they sacrafice their lives in the name of Allah they can have paradise afterwards.

It's just propaganda. The west has waged a brutal and relentless war on the people who if giving the #ing chance would chose peace over a bomb......trust me, but giving their dire circumstances what the hell else they gonna do? Stick their collective heads between their asses and kiss themselves goodbye? Nope, they'll fight, anyway they can.

I don't approve any of it. I just think the world is controlled by dickheads 3 ways from Sunday.

+10 more 
posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Not nearly as violent as those who don't believe in any gods
Stalin, Pol Pot and Mao.
All atheists all card carrying Darwinists and all with atrocities on massive scales at their feet

Now let's talk about Scotsman or something

Remember, atheism teaches humans are just a byproduct of star dirt and star water, evolved from dust, humans are just cattle, no intrinsic value, no earthly good, a mistake.

By contrast to the abrahamic religions death toll, those atheists and their beliefs, well you know

Also remember, Adolph and his buddies, they killed Jews en mass because they were considered less evolved, ala Darwinism

So it would seem a great deal more violence in atheism than the holy book

Congratulations atheism, you win gold, gold, gold

Now let's address all abrahamic Faith's are the same

I noted a little Israeli bashing, an IDF member shot a man who stabbed someone with a knife, he was arrested.
Caused a bit of controversy, Jews don't like their military killing people,in cold blood
Western society is considered Western because?
Well it has Christian Based laws and morals, you know?
It's Western, not eastern, middle eastern. Ever noticed how third world people want to live in country's that are predominantly Christian in their morals, ethics
Have you ever noticed that country's that had a rebirth due to protesting the Catholic Church have advanced so readily

Protestent church started in Western Europe, then the UK (not Northern Ireland) then onto the US
Ever wondered why those country's are so successful, why you don't want to emigrate to the ME or South America

You stand on the shoulders of giants and think you are tall, you are not
edit on 26-3-2016 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join