It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adding Insult to Murder: Finicum's Family Sent $500 Ambulance Bill

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

The family of Robert “LaVoy” Finicum, the Arizona rancher who was shot dead last month during a confrontation with FBI agents and Oregon state police, was notified Thursday that they owe the City of Burns $500 for “ambulance advance life support” and mileage for LaVoy’s ambulance ride to a medical center. The city of Burns’ assistant law director filed the claim in Harney County Probate Court this morning.

An attorney representing the Finicum family issued the statement: “The callousness, insensitivity, and poor judgment of Harney County and the City of Burns to send a bill after its own officers murdered their loving family member is truly sickening.” A source close to the family said they were “mortified” by the total “lack of empathy” of the city’s claim.

unitedmediapublishing.com...

The actual PDF document of the claim against Finicum's estate is on the article.

There are just no words for this. None.

Just rage. Outrage. OUTRAGE.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Wow... words fail me..

even if you hated the guy for what he tried to do, bill his family... wow...

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Bureaucratic, monotheistic, law and order police state.

From their perspective the family is 'saving money' when compared to the legal fees and fines incurred going to trial had he been otherwise arrested.

edit on 14-2-2016 by intrptr because: YouTube

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Land of the free, my friends.

It might be time to get out.

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

This is clearly intimidation and is utterly disrespectful towards the family and their enduring memory of LaVoy - especially considering it was the US governments actions of pre-meditated ambush that lead to them murdering him. It appears to be the US governments way of sending a message that dissidents and vocal anti-government patriots (and their families) that pose a clear and present danger to the establishment will be utterly disrespected all the way to the grave so as to send a clear message to anyone thinking along the same lines that if you mess with the bull you get the horns.

The US government are terrorists in every sense of the word.
edit on 14-2-2016 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   

It would be my honor to pay that bill.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Well, there is no such thing as a 'free ride' anymore.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

It's a slap in the face regardless of the particular circumstances.

There are just no words for this. None.

Just rage. Outrage. OUTRAGE.

If you want to be really outraged, consider that the same thing just happened to the family of 12 year-old Tamir Rice.

From 3 days ago:

The Atlantic - 'Insult to Homicide': Cleveland Sues Tamir Rice's Family for Ambulance Fees

What’s more outrageous than having a police officer shoot an unarmed 12-year-old, failing to provide medical care, keeping his family forcibly from the scene, and then declining to indict the officer for the death? In most cases, little. But the city of Cleveland has found a way: It is suing Tamir Rice’s family for not paying the ambulance bill after a Cleveland cop shot and killed the boy in November 2014.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose

It would be my honor to pay that bill.

That's good to know and I'm sure the residents of Burns will be happy to hear it!

You can submit your remittance to;

Burns City Hall
242 S. Broadway
Burns, OR., 97720
[snipped]
edit on Sun Feb 14 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: personal name removed

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Grrrrrrr.....

But there is a plus side. People were recently outraged when the same thing happened to a young man killed by police -- I believe a Black man. This timing could not have been better. It's difficult (if not impossible) to keep up the divide-and-conquer games when it becomes obvious that we're all in this together, for better and worse, till death do us part...

We have one common enemy... one common oppressor... Give 'em enough rope and they'll hang themselves.

All Lives Matter.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Flatfish

Thanks for the info to City Hall. May I get the contact info that represents the family, not City Hall?

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Cleveland dropped the ambulance charges for Tamir Rice's estate. abc7news.com...

Maybe Burns will get smart and do the same thing.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Our families and/or our estates are often subject to the debts we incur in our final moments.

That is sad at times, and unfortunate. Best to take care of it and move on.

However, staging this as some sort of "abuse of a martyr's family" is absurd: Lavoy Finicum was shot while resisting arrest after assaulting law enforcement while under probable cause for multiple felonies.

Those of you who routinely applaud the deaths of other Americans at the hands of police in much less obvious circumstances than these should be ashamed.

I know you're not, but you should be.

(post by TheVinylPollution removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   
This happens everyday all over the country we just never hear about it.people are murdered everyday in this country,you don`t think those people get free ambulance rides to the hospital, do you?

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Oh for pete's sake ...

Tamir Rice was an UNARMED 12 year old kid who had done nothing wrong besides playing in a park and sitting on a swing.

Lavoy Finicum was an ARMED 54 year old man who had committed felonies on tape for 35 days.

There is a difference there and it has nothing to do with race. It has to do with INNOCENCE.

The fact that anyone here would try to make it about race, demonstrates just how far we are as a people from being "post-racial."

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
It's just disgusting, maybe living in UK we're far too privileged but it seems so alien having to pay for an ambulance. What's more disgusting is the family have to foot the bill for the ambulance, in cases like this surely the people who caused the need for the ambulance should be charged the costs ? in this case the FBI, if they hadn't murdered Lavoy they would not need an ambulance so the FBI should be getting billed for the ambulance not the family

I just can't get my head round paying for ambulance, it makes it seem like a glorified Taxi with medical facilities, do Americans have to pay the bill for fire trucks and police too if they get called out ?

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Good dont want my tax dollars helping the terrorists.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
For the family of anyone who is killed by our law enforcement agencies, I would be glad to see a national trend to take the "final expeneses" off their minds at that horrible difficult time, because, no matter what the dead person did or did not do, for the families they leave behind, the tragedy is the same.

However, since that would smack of "government welfare-nanny-state" payments in so many cases, I don't see this happening anytime soon.

I do agree its not something the family should have to face at the time of their grief.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
Land of the free, my friends.

It might be time to get out.

Get out to where? As FUBAR as everyone is saying America is, is there any other place on the planet that is less f$cked up? Antartica maybe?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join