It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Key Republican says Congress will punish sanctuary cities this year

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: burgerbuddy

Gotta love conservatives, they're all for states rights and against elected officials acting unilaterally... until they're acting unilaterally with no deference for the rights of states.

Where does states rights trump federal law?
The elected officials are breaking the law.

Do you think that is OK?

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

How do you count people that aren't countable? That don't exist on the books?

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Isint that cute, where still waiting for them to repeal obamacare, indict obama, theres so many promises, but nothing ever happens, i wonder why.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
So Congress doesn't address the border problems but will blame and punish certain cities in some way. Sounds about par for the course. Right, the problem is always because of someone else.

The border is just 1 part of the whole problem.

It's the criminal element being overlooked and mostly helped by these cities.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   

If Sanctuary Cities go unpunished, then I'd like the US government to refund all money that legal immigrants have had to pay to become legal US citizens.

link   

So if you pick up average Joe for a traffic violation then what? You let him go?

You don't verify workers?

Its not a separate issue.

Yeah you are right it means more American jobs at a higher labour cost which raises prices of things like the coat of houses.

We need someone who has some vision to work on the massive problem that has been allowed to grow into a massive economic disaster waiting to happen.

link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Sanctuary cities are in defiance of most of the states they're in.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

The reason things cost so much is because of the profit margin it has nothing to do with wages.

They don't need to make that much money.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

originally posted by: luthier

I call BS. The Republican donors who benefit so greatly from illegal employees will rear their head. It's not just the democrats who benefit. Its developers, hotel chains, restraunts, on and on.

Then to be fair, dry up the workers and free up jobs for Americans.
It's NOT a left/right problem on the ground.
It's a problem of ideology.

Besides, this thread is about letting illegal criminals run about in 300 cities, not some ave joe wanting to make a few bucks.

Free up the jobs that no one wants? That is a questionable plan.

Georgia Conservative Mayor is Unlikely Advocate for Undocumented People

In public speeches and opinion articles, he slams state lawmakers for creating an unfunded mandate that he says will burden police and devastate farmers who depend on immigrant labor in their onion fields and berry groves.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Seriously my polish relatives all speak English and work their butt off for the "American Dream". Yet they get hassled all the time flying or getting permits for various things.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

a reply to: avgguy

You all know there are very wealthy business owners who are conservatives that use illegal labour right?

But NO liberals?

Really?

Aren't they the vocal ones wanting more open borders?

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

What? So carpenters should get paid like fast food?

Profit margins are wrapped up in stocks which are wrapped up in retirements. Etc.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

originally posted by: roadgravel
So Congress doesn't address the border problems but will blame and punish certain cities in some way. Sounds about par for the course. Right, the problem is always because of someone else.

The border is just 1 part of the whole problem.

It's the criminal element being overlooked and mostly helped by these cities.

Doesn't it make sense to go to the source of the problem instead of trying to mop up the water after the flood gate opened.

All the issues do need to be addressed.

link   

Of course there are. But the Republicans are just saying words. They don't do anything. Hell Rick Perry made a fortune off of illegals building his housing developments.
edit on 3-2-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

link   
I know 2 people killed by illegals and I'm anti social so I don't know a ton of people. In both cases the police said they can't really do anything. I also lived in Tucson for a couple years and heard the same thing with crimes I had to report. Anybody who thinks the current system of putting your head in the sand works is in idiot. I'm all for reform and documentation but looking the.other way is stupid
edit on 3-2-2016 by EightTF3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   

So if you pick up average Joe for a traffic violation then what? You let him go?

You don't verify workers?

Its not a separate issue.

Yeah you are right it means more American jobs at a higher labour cost which raises prices of things like the coat of houses.

We need someone who has some vision to work on the massive problem that has been allowed to grow into a massive economic disaster waiting to happen.

Yeah, and it's not bernie or hillary.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   

a reply to: onequestion

What? So carpenters should get paid like fast food?

Profit margins are wrapped up in stocks which are wrapped up in retirements. Etc.

Carpenters should be paid more and fast food workers that work more than part-time should make the amount that pays reasonable rent, food, clothing, utilities and a little spending money.

AGAIN, if you can;t pay a full time employee enough to survive at a reasonable level, you should not be in business or you should hire less people until you can afford it. People do NOT work for the fun of it. It is directly tied to traditional bills.

It is like people are expected to work at poverty level- which qualifies them for food stamps and medicaid and childcare money and then conservatives wonder why so many are receiving food stamps. Most of those people work full time.
edit on 3-2-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Be careful what you wish for.

link   
This is all sort of nonsense. Cities are not going waste money and resources on looking for illegals when they have other crimes to deal with. In fact most cities at this point do not bother because as they have learned Border Patrol/INS do not have the resources to deal with what they have already. Leaving cities to pay to hold people in over crowded jails or just let them go. We are talking about 3% of the US population hear. That is more people than everybody in prison now. The resources required to this would be staggering. And completely wasted as new ones would simply arrive by boat or plan or tunnel etc. And why? Because the jobs exist for them. Nobody wants to go after the rich who hire them. Donald Trump would never suggest he be held responsible for his long history of employing illegals. So unless that happens everything esle we do is just tossing money into a fire.

link   

Never said it was.

The one thing I can say about Bernie is bringing awareness to the money problem in campaign financing and lobbyists.

I have given up believing any of these arseholes a long time ago. I am a libertarian for the most part by the way.
edit on 3-2-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join