It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Happens When Pregnant Women Are Criminalized For Drug Use

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   
While I agree that the US Drug War Policies have not and are not working there needs to be consequences. Perhaps forced treatment during pregnancy as there are many things that can go wrong that are not treatable and become a life long burden for both the child, the parents, and the state who in many cases has to foot the bill. Intravenous drug users can pass on Hepatitis, Aids, the child can develop heart defects and be premature.

Life is difficult enough for our children without being born into the world with a disease that we could have easily prevented. The cost from these issues which can be brought on by street drug use during pregnancy are astronomical and the pain and suffering incalculable.

I do agree that by treating an addict as a criminal is usually only making the disease worse, incarceration does work in many cases but do feel that treatment is the better route even though most addicts relapse at least three times before finally beating addiction. The law is a quickly put together stopgap that will only create more misery without solving the real problem but simply looking away while a pregnant woman endangers the life of a chile is not something we should do either so a combination of treatment within a very strict program with enough support for the whole family is what I feel could provide better results.

link   
a reply to: DEANORULES24
so, let's see, someone who is suffering from epilespy, a mental illness, a migraine, or whatever kind of ailment that might damage a fetus or cause a miscarriage should just suffer through the nine months or risk being jailed??

okay, but let's look at all those drugs that a male might need to take at the point of conception that might also affect the possible fetus, okay....
let's open up them up to the same risk!

oh and the number or pregnancy related deaths of both mother, and child were much higher 50 years ago also!

edit on 11-1-2016 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Yea, nothing wrong with mandatory rehab. Though one could argue that a baby born with neonatal abstinence syndrome and charging the mother with drug use could possibly violate some form of self-incrimination law.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   

edit on 1/11/2016 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I know drug or alcohol abuse are habits that arent easy to break but the idea that a strung out heroin user shouldn't face repercussions for breaking the law or making a bad choice is ridiculous.

If a woman doesn't want to be held accountable for putting her newborn at a disadvantage by suffering from withdraw symptoms then:

1. Don't get pregnant
2. Don't use drugs while pregnant
3. Act like a mature, loving or caring adult for those 8 to 9 months

Sorry to me being addicted doesnt mean a free pass from consequences for your actions.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJMSN
I do agree that by treating an addict as a criminal is usually only making the disease worse, incarceration does work in many cases but do feel that treatment is the better route even though most addicts relapse at least three times before finally beating addiction. The law is a quickly put together stopgap that will only create more misery without solving the real problem but simply looking away while a pregnant woman endangers the life of a chile is not something we should do either so a combination of treatment within a very strict program with enough support for the whole family is what I feel could provide better results.

I think the reasoning for that is because we also suck REALLY badly at rehabbing addicts. If we were to focus more medical efforts to bringing about better rehabilitation programs for addicts, I'm sure we could come up with many better and more effective ways to treat it.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

NO, X wife is a full blown addict . Any drug and every drug ! but she put our 3 daughters above drugs , when she was pregnant! Trust me i've been dealing with this 15 yrs, I seen the fight she went thru during the pregnancies, ITS A CHOICE!
edit on 11-1-2016 by DEANORULES24 because: typo

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

First off, there shouldn't even BE consequences for using. Second off, punishing the mother for using while pregnant is going to seriously hurt the child in the long run.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Still won't stop the essential problem. She's an addict who is pregnant and using and damaging someone else besides herself with that behavior and that someone else has no recourse to escape being damaged.

Heroine and meth addictions are some you are never free of, and that's just the start. This is without the developmental problems that occur when you tamper with a developing brain by altering ideal conditions and expose it to chemicals.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: DEANORULES24

NO, X wife is a full blown addict . Any drug and every drug ! but she put our 3 daughters above drugs , when she was pregnant! Trust me i've been dealing with this 15 yrs, I seen the fight she went thru during the pregnancies, ITS A CHOICE!

Do you think you are the only person in the world who has known an addict or something? Because I have a running count of friends who have died to heroin overdoses at this point. Stop pretending like YOUR personal anecdote about addiction is indicative of every account of addiction. That isn't the case at all. It's great your ex was able to kick the stuff while pregnant, but not everyone is your ex and you need to realize that.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: opethPA

First off, there shouldn't even BE consequences for using. Second off, punishing the mother for using while pregnant is going to seriously hurt the child in the long run.

You don't get it. Enough drug exposure will hurt the child for life. Cause permanent brain damage ... learning disability, that sort of thing.

When someone abuses their child to that degree it is criminal.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Still won't stop the essential problem. She's an addict who is pregnant and using and damaging someone else besides herself with that behavior and that someone else has no recourse to escape being damaged.

Heroine and meth addictions are some you are never free of, and that's just the start. This is without the developmental problems that occur when you tamper with a developing brain by altering ideal conditions and expose it to chemicals.

Well I have no problems with giving her rehab treatment and actually trying to HELP her. Heck, make the conditions of keeping her child on condition that she completes and honors the rehab program. You know, actually give her a chance?
edit on 11-1-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I think you might have some issues ! Go see a doctor ! Its no different then getting behind a wheel and driving when your drunk!

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

True but those addicts usually know better and if they can't quit but care enough for the babies they would seek help.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

True but those addicts usually know better and if they can't quit but care enough for the babies they would seek help.

Well hopefully. The urge to use can be overpowering. My buddy was damn near crippled and had to relearn how to walk and talk after an overdose (he was found passed out on the hood of his car). He's dead now. Guess why.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   

When I was a teacher in grade school I witness the results of what is know here in the south as "crack babies" and not this is not something that ends once the babies are detox when born, the children get side effects for the rest of their lives.

Is nothing worst that having in your schedule several children flag as crack babies, they are no only on medications but when the medications are not given due to financial stress or other, they becomes very destructive, irrational and unable to cope in a classroom environment.

Things are not what some wants them to be, the reality is rather worst.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   

ITS A FOUITYUKIH CHOICE ! AND IF A MOTHER WOULD TAKE DRUGS WHILE SHE IS PREGNANT ? THEN THAT CHILD IS BETTER OFF , IF SHE IS LOCK UP AWAY FROM THAT CHILD ! because that child does not matter to her!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

So knowing all of this, do you think it is a good idea to arrest the mothers for using while she is pregnant? Do you think it is a good idea to separate the mother from the child?

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   

WHOA mate! Calm down. We are just having a discussion here. No need to yell. Why are you getting mad at me for disagreeing with you?

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I'm deaf and you hurt my ears.

Anyway the mother will need to show remorse and willing to change.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join