It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How I feel about guns. A friendly discourse.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: BatheInTheFountain

Boy, you make America sound like a horrible, dangerous, scary, violent, crazy and inhospitable place to live! Why am I still living here?!

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

Boy, you make America sound like a horrible, dangerous, scary, violent, crazy and inhospitable place to live! Why am I still living here?!

Urban sh!tholes are generally bad places to live. Concentrated idiots and criminals all in a small area.

I would recommend he/she move to a better place.
edit on 13-12-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: GamleGamle

Thats one of the keys... I think, the Fierce independence for nearly half of our short history the federal government was some distant thing that rarely intruded on the lives of many Americans... what you see today is a carry over from that time, I think.

Gun ownership rates were dropping... now they are starting to pick up again, and for the first time women are a large percentage of the group of first time buyers.

Possibly this is do to the long string of broken promises... or the effect of the Federal govt failing the thousands of veterans that have committed suicide after returning from war... and people might be wondering if they wont care for the military why would they care for joe average citizen.

I dont know... its late the suns coming up and I havent slept much so I am probably starting to ramble...

Peace!

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

Because its still the best place to live..? for now anyways.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Gun ownership rates were dropping... now they are starting to pick up again, and for the first time women are a large percentage of the group of first time buyers.

How about off the charts...

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Thank you for your well rounded response.

I guess to you it might seem that I live in a bubble. I have actually met and talked to a number of American Soldiers who I had flaming discussion with for this very reason. Like when the problem looks like a nail the solution must be a hammer. When your living space looks like a war zone or at least a gang zone, I can imagine keeping your trusty gun or knife by your side seems a necessity. I might do the very same.

Guns are as good or bad as the people that wield them. Seeing how many gun owners there are in the United States. There must be many many decent people far more than any bad egg. Sadly any splinter can burrow and infect to the point you can not walk anymore. I am sure that once a lot of the problems get resolved or contained any hyperbolic weapon craze will balance itself out, if any.

Back to the main subject. Not touching your guns. Keep your gun, but do you consider any form of further Gun Control as a bad thing, and if so why is it so extremely bad? I can imagine it not helping much, but why would it be a terrible thing.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Another reason is what used to be called "Civil Defense"

See in the 50's and 60's and early 70's we were all "in it together".

We don't have Civil Defense anymore, we have "Continuity Of Government".

We the citizens are on our own if the crap hits the fan while the big wigs save themselves, wait for the dust to settle and then re-unite everything.

So, given that we cannot count of the Government, we would be foolish to be at the mercy of the worst elements of our society if/when the lights go out.

Just fact.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

In all fairness the op does mention the Dutch government have a good social structure in place..... Granted there are fewer people therefore easier to implement.......

It is possible that if the gap between rich and poor was not so high there would be better social structures in the U.S....

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   
All I have ever known in my life about Dutch people is this:

until I read your thread.

also this somewhat disturbs me:

I think a whole lot of domestic violence would be a lot worse over here if everyone had a gun in the closet

I can only infer that the Dutch believe their women will just have to take the abuse and live with it, like a good little servant woman. But not here, we let our woman put a hot one in anyone who will try and take their dignity from them.

I also sense that your kingdom may be more like "teach a man to fish, and feed him for his life" type of domestic policy, whereas here in the states our domestic policy is more "steal a man's fish, cut it up into ten pieces, add some bull# and sell it to a sucker" type of policy.

All in all, our citizenry will continue to defend ourselves from the cracked up baser jack boys, abusive spouses, and other predatory slime that have now permeated through our society from legal dope and decadent media exposure. Price to pay to live in the Wild West .....

Go get in the kitchen and make me a whale sandwich.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Yeah me and my european friends believe fallout 4 is exactly like the Boston area.

In all earnesty. I believe he just means Urban Los Angeles. From the docu's I have seen it can get pretty bad out there.

Kind Regards

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   

You sound Cohesive enough.

I like your matter of fact way of speaking.
Thank you for the background info that makes it more understandable.
Maybe the United States does need some kind of momentous Reset.
Its bad enough to hear US citizens talk the most smack about their own country.
Europe has its failings, it is not that ever expanding bulb of light, people sometimes make it out to be, but I do not see it coming completely apart. The EU may ebb and flow, but it will persist. The US..... I just do not know.

Kind Regards.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist
All I have ever known in my life about Dutch people is this:

until I read your thread.

also this somewhat disturbs me:

I think a whole lot of domestic violence would be a lot worse over here if everyone had a gun in the closet

I can only infer that the Dutch believe their women will just have to take the abuse and live with it, like a good little servant woman. But not here, we let our woman put a hot one in anyone who will try and take their dignity from them.

I also sense that your kingdom may be more like "teach a man to fish, and feed him for his life" type of domestic policy, whereas here in the states our domestic policy is more "steal a man's fish, cut it up into ten pieces, add some bull# and sell it to a sucker" type of policy.

All in all, our citizenry will continue to defend ourselves from the cracked up baser jack boys, abusive spouses, and other predatory slime that have now permeated through our society from legal dope and decadent media exposure. Price to pay to live in the Wild West .....

Go get in the kitchen and make me a whale sandwich.

May I suggest travelling to be on your bucket list....it is amazing how your views will change as you experience things in the same way others do......

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I do appreciate the US mentality that is being shown to me here in this thread. It is educational and makes me feel more understanding and compassion for the whole situation across the sea, but all the big gun control legislation that has the slightest change of being implemented does not take away your ability to defend yourself with guns. Correct?

Well if the government is seeing the proveribal SHTF soon, than this whole discussion will be mute, because some parts of the good old USA will be like the wild west again, but with guns and drugs, and more diversified cultures inhabiting it.

Kind Regards

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Thank you. That is a point I am trying to make in between the lines there.

We have less inequality and despite many people Bit.... and moaning about how things could be better.
We have superb infrastructure. We have to... or else we would not have been able to live so cramped as we do. ON a side note. Why we so heavily invested in road building in contrast to public transport is beyond me.

Kind Regards.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   

No I will not travel out of country (unless required too for WW3). I dont leave America to go see Not America. Thats how I like it. I may go on a boat, but not planes. No need button pushers to send me falling to my doom @ 32,000 ft. Or these damn Christmas laser decorations that are becoming hazardous to pilots.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Cool how this thread is so civilized....but what about when those darn Texas boys used to keep rifles and shotguns in the pick-up truck back glass...

edit on 14-12-2015 by GBP/JPY because: our new King.....He comes right after a nicely done fake one

edit on 14-12-2015 by GBP/JPY because: yessirrr

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

It could be worse than the Austin Power Spoof / short or whatever. His accent has some hint of dutch in it, but its actually a strange hybrid mix of all kinds of European accents. Weird. We also love cheese, and are good with drenching water, and we sell a lot of flowers to. All generalizations aside.

You misunderstand.... its not the women that get abused..... its the men..... We take domestic violence very seriously and women are quite thoroughly protected by Law. So guns would be bad for the men...... Oke I am slightly joking, but not completely.

I like the way you describe our policy. It probably gets more credit than it deserves with that.
Believe me legal marijuana is not the problem..... Although the dutch are learning the hard way that production has to be regulated and legalised just as much as the consumption for it to actually work properly.

PS. Everyone please, could someone anyone say something about the gun control laws their pro's and cons. Instead of just saying ""they wont get our guns, because our country has been going to # lately.""

Kind Regards

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   

edit on 14-12-2015 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist

No I will not travel out of country (unless required too for WW3). I dont leave America to go see Not America. Thats how I like it. I may go on a boat, but not planes. No need button pushers to send me falling to my doom @ 32,000 ft. Or these damn Christmas laser decorations that are becoming hazardous to pilots.

Until you do travel and experience other people and cultures for yourself your views will remain bias..... There is only so much that can be learned from TV and internet....

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   

This thread has been a good way of stretching my legs here on ATS.
I ofcourse anticipated that it would drift as it has. I think I will be posting some more the coming times.
Each time I will try to be more concise as to prevent thread drift. Because the biggest enemy is thread drift.

You know there is no other response than a comical one when it comes to posts like that or no response at all. Because either he believes what he believes and that wont change, or he simply is a trolling. No matter him realizing that or not.Thus your response increases the focus on that... thus part of the problem, just as my response now is also adding to that problem, but I more or less consider this thread done for, unless someone, anyone would like to discuss with me what and how gun regulations are seen and implemented and how that affects the American way of life, so to speak.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join